The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The…

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia Facsimile, Book… (original 1952; edition 2010)

by C. S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

Member:Deern
Title:The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia Facsimile, Book 5)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2010), Edition: Celebration of the original edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Tags:British literature, Childrens books, English language

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (1952)

The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (162)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (169)
Here is where I reveal my one true fault. I have not read all of the Narnia books. In conversation I always let people think that I have if they bring them up but it is because I am far too ashamed to look them in the eye and see the betrayal and sudden repulsion I know will be there. I will fix this some day! I adore the ones I read! I take this opportunity to formally apologise to all those who once felt they could place trust in me but now will never readily do so again. Yours in faith, etc. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
My memory of this entry in the Narnia series had been based entirely on the movie & as it turns out, this movie was the least faithful to the text! While there are some adventures, they are mostly disconnected. I did prefer the book's version of the Duffers & may have liked the entire book more if I hadn't had the movie plot in my head...

Chrissi Hart's reading of this one didn't seem up to the standard of her previous recordings, with some odd little halts at times. However, it is still a decent recording & her voice for Reepicheep in particular was good. ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 26, 2017 |
The first chapter begins with a painting of a ship on the ocean that comes to life into the room - the adventure begins!

BUT, this Narnia book is not at the same level as the others in the series. The last third is noticeably weak. It was still a worthwhile read, but a bit disappointing in comparion. ( )
  deldevries | Feb 25, 2017 |
Eustace is a horrible little boy, who is changed by his adventure. I liked the fact that his parents were the only ones not happy with the change. They were the ones who made him so dis-likable to begin with. I enjoyed the journal entries from Eustace's point of view. Aslan is much more an active participant in this story. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 23, 2016 |
18/2014 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Lucy and Edmund, with their dreadful cousin Eustace, get magically pulled into a painting of a ship at sea. That ship is the Dawn Treader, and on board is Caspian, King of Narnia. He and his companions, including Reepicheep, the valiant warrior mouse, are searching for seven lost lords of Narnia, and their voyage will take them to the edge of the world. Their adventures include being captured by slave traders, a much-too-close encounter with a dragon, and visits to many enchanted islands, including the place where dreams come true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

4 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061714976, 0061992887, 0061969060, 0061969079

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible