The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The…

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia Facsimile, Book… (original 1952; edition 2010)

by C. S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

Member:Deern
Title:The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia Facsimile, Book 5)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2010), Edition: Celebration of the original edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Tags:British literature, Childrens books, English language

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (1952)

English (121)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
[b:The Voyage of the Dawn Treader|140225|The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343185059s/140225.jpg|3349054] has long been my favorite book in the Narnia series, and this readthrough with the kids at bedtime re-confirmed that. I just love this story. I'd known before this reading about [a:Michael Ward|194177|Michael Ward|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1334264406p2/194177.jpg]'s excellent and insightful book [b:Planet Narnia|1800794|Planet Narnia The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis|Michael Ward|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348068661s/1800794.jpg|1799947], so the imagery related to the Sun was not a surprise to me--though it's always exciting to notice the planetary imagery in the Narnia books. Sun imagery is all throughout Dawn Treader, and of course is at its most spectacular in the conclusion, actually journeying right up to the sun itself. But what I didn't remember noticing in this book until now is the huge amount of King Arthur imagery all throughout. I saw that this time because I'm also reading through [a:Mary Stewart|15590|Mary Stewart|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1210367214p2/15590.jpg]'s Merlin/Arthur series. The Arthur references are subtler than the planetary imagery, but they seemed very clear to me: knights gone missing on a perilous quest; key mentions of "a cup and a sword" (which also, of course, references another story even more clearly); the idea of chivalry and honor; the world being like "a round table"; and Reepicheep's discarding of his sword; among others. The biggest hiccup in the book is the play-by-play commentary description of the underwater world that Lucy sees, near the end of the journey. This isn't nearly as dreadful as [a:Lewis|1069006|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1367519078p2/1069006.jpg]'s sports-commentator descriptions of battle scenes in [b:The Horse and His Boy|84119|The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388210968s/84119.jpg|3294501] or [b:Prince Caspian|121749|Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308814880s/121749.jpg|3348636], but it does go on a bit too long, and at a point in the story in which I don't want to take pages and pages to contemplate the wonders of the mer-world. But that minor annoyance aside, Dawn Treader is a tremendous fantasy story, and it will always be one of my favorites.My reviews of the Narnia series: The Magician's Nephew The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe The Horse and His Boy Prince Caspian The Voyage of the Dawn Treader The Silver Chair The Last Battle ( )
  | Aug 8, 2014 | edit |
One of my favorites of the series.
If I could pick one out of the lot to read right now it would be this. Then Horse & His Boy..

My fave part of the book is when they meet the dufflepods & lucy finds the big book &
also when eustace 'changes' (I wont divulge anymore for those who havent read it yet)

I love this story because they have so many different adventures.

Eustace is annoyingly funny - reepicheep is awesome but I love lucy the best :) dont know why.. oh Caspian is an agreeably annoying ass lol ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
For years, my favorite book in the Chronicles has hovered between this one and The Last Battle, but I think as an adult, I appreciate this one the most. What I love:

-seeing a slightly more grown-up, but still young, Lucy and Edmund
-Seeing Caspian after he's been used to being King for a few years
- The separate adventures of each island
-Eustace. He provides some humor before his transformation, and his transformation to a dragon back to a redeemed boy is one of my all-time favorites(though it's still second to Edmund's in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe)
-Goldwater/Deathwater island. Perhaps the island that's always stuck with me the most.

And the "life on sea" parts were really enjoyable too, as well as Lucy's adventure with the magician and the spells. That was my favorite part as a child.

Overall, I think this is probably also the FUNNEST book in the series. All the seperate adventures make it a pretty thrilling read. Hate the movie adaption though. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Putting on my 'Childhood Favorites' shelf is a misnomer, as I never read this as a child. Again, with the silly Christian undertones. Then end where Aslan tells Lucy she will never return to Narnia (riiiiiiight) but she will know him under another name in her own world, that's why she had to meet him in Narina... hmmm... what could that name be?

I think it's nearly criminal to feed such loosely veiled propaganda to our (any!) unknowing child. If Christianity is the 'One True Faith' then children will find it (as cognizant adults) without being duped or brainwashed. Ick.
2 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
We take voyage to the right hand side of the map, and the sea is filled with wonders. I liked this book, perhaps the second best Narnia tale, and I always will. It was the first nudge that I received in the exploration of medieval literature.
This is the Narnia book with Pauline Baynes' greatest illustration, "The heartbroken Dragon"! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 26, 2014 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:43 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Four editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061992887, 0061969052, 0061969060, 0061969079

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible