Chronicles of Narnia Box Set by C. S. Lewis
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: MTI, Paperback
Collections:TED 255
Tags:series book

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (1952)

The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (155)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (162)
A year after second trip to Narnia, Edmund and Lucy are stuck at the house of their awful cousin, Eustace Scrubb, while their parents and Susan are off to America. Edmund, Lucy, and Eustace are transported to Narnia via a painting in his house, and find themselves in the midst of King Caspian's voyage to discover what happened to the seven lords that Caspain's evil Uncle Miraz had sent away when he plotted to take over the kingdom. Sailing the unknown east, they discover new islands, peoples, and adventures.

This is the most episodic stories of the series, with every stop on the map a new experience to our main characters. The very first sentence is still one of my favorites in all literature: "There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." Ever since I was a child, I loved Eustace's story and felt for Caspian having to balance his own individual wishes with being a king, and especially the return of Reepicheep. Instead of being the rather comedic figure he was in Prince Caspian here we see him as a true Knight, full of courage and ready to jump into every adventure. His goal is to see the utter East and "Aslan's country." Then there are all the secondary characters who were fascinating in their own right. A childhood favorite I will love returning to again and again. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 9, 2016 |
English Literature
  CPI | Jul 29, 2016 |
  StPaulsChurch | Jul 19, 2016 |
An interesting story (I'll have to add a full review later) ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |

*Note* - I read these in the original order, and how CS Lewis wrote them/ published - so this is the third book in the series, not the fifth, for me. That can make a difference in enjoyment level and reviews. *End Note*

4.5 stars

This one was almost as good as the other two - in some ways actually better since it delved into more varieties of magic and self-exploration. It's a completely different kind of story - on a ship they are on a voyage to find seven lost men, and along the way discover islands and reach the end of the world. Apparently Narnia is flat and not round as our world is. It sounds a bit childish and silly perhaps, but it's anything but. Each island held it's own element of surprise - sometimes joy and sublime self-exploration, sometimes horrifying and dangerous discovery. Whichever it ended up being, I was captivated by their experiences.

Lucy is a doll again. She's the only female on the ship and she adds a calming reassurance. Her fascination and adoration with Aslan continued. Edmund again just blends into the background too much. They have their cousin with them this time, who starts out obnoxiously spoiled, but he himself has an awesome island adventure which seeks to transform him. Caspian is again a likeable sort, and as before the head mouse is a delight to read, adding colorful flavor.

I do wonder when they head back home, are they going to avoid the same route so they don't have to go through the Darkness again? I know I would avoid if I could.

Pacing wasn't top notch and a few chapters were devoted to certain islands, while others were briefer and had one. It was like a series of short stories in one novel. The leadup to the different explorations was slightly long-winded but once the wind caught in the sail it took off nicely.

The ending especially haunts. It was beautiful, dream-like, surreal. So far the Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe held the greatest villain, Prince Caspian the greater individual battles, and this one the best ending. As with the last book it left me a bit depressed. The wrap up was bittersweet and sad but beautiful at the same time. Sort of an accepting peace kind of thing. The Christian element of Aslan was even clearer here if you had doubts before (although it'd be pretty hard to even before reading the end of this one.) Beautiful words were said.

I'm looking forward to the next book but it's with a heavy heart too. I'll miss the main characters I've grown attached to as they explore the lands and have their journeys. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Lucy and Edmund, with their dreadful cousin Eustace, get magically pulled into a painting of a ship at sea. That ship is the Dawn Treader, and on board is Caspian, King of Narnia. He and his companions, including Reepicheep, the valiant warrior mouse, are searching for seven lost lords of Narnia, and their voyage will take them to the edge of the world. Their adventures include being captured by slave traders, a much-too-close encounter with a dragon, and visits to many enchanted islands, including the place where dreams come true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

5 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061714976, 0061992887, 0061969052, 0061969060, 0061969079

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,715,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible