Alexander the Great by John Gunther

Alexander the Great (1953)

by John Gunther

Other authors: Isa Barnett (Illustrator)

Series: World Landmark Books (W-2)

Alexander the Great was one of the greatest conquers in the world. When he was a little boy conquering was all that he thought of. Even as a boy he proved to be very special, he tamed a wild horse when he realized that the horse was scared of its own shadow. He rode it every, even when the horse was weak and old. Alexander's father was tired of Alexander's mother, so he married someone else. The mother was extremely mad. Alexander loved both his mom and his dad, but his mother turned Alexander against his father. Later on he was eventually murdered by one of his own men and Alexander became king.
When he was an adult he left home and conquered almost all of Europe, India, and some of Asia. He never returned home. At Asia he was injured badly, only two of his men were with him and they were on their way home. His army lost its motivation, they've been away for so long that they wanted to go home and not fight any more. He lost a lot of his friends and he just turned cruel and mad. One night he ended up drinking too much and got sick. He got better, ate meat, and got worse. He kept going back and forth until he eventually died. At his last few breaths he claimed he wanted to be born at the strongest of his cities. ( )
  AlexanderL.B4 | Oct 24, 2018 |
356-323 BC
  wellreadkid | May 13, 2017 |
I really liked Alexander the Great before reading this book. But this author couldn't seem to make up his mind what Alexander was really like, continuously contradicting himself and saying how 'merciful' and 'bloodthirsty' Alexander was. While I'm sure it has real information, this book is just badly written. At least it doesn't take long to read. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Nov 28, 2011 |
This is an old school book that I acquired from my grandparents (I think). While it introduces the history of Alexander the Great in a wonderful young adult novel fashion, I was suprised at the moral lessons that included. The book clear state that certain personality traits were "evil" or "wrong" and others were "ideal", In one instance they even pointed out that drunk people have boring conversation. Not only did I learn a little about Alexander's life, I had a few chuckles along the way. ( )
  jasmyn9 | Feb 27, 2010 |

John Guntherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barnett, IsaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The boy stood out there in the hot sun.
Wars are always tragedies, even if you win them.

A biography of one of history's greatest conquerors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,400,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible