The Wednesdays by Julie Bourbeau

The Wednesdays

by Julie Bourbeau

The Wednesdays is a debut middle grade fantasy by Julie Bourbeau that has a similar magic and danger as JM Barrie's Peter Pan. Max lives with family in a small village near Mount Tibidabo that is besieged by bad luck every Wednesday.

To avoid the wednesdays, the creatures believed to be the source of the bad luck, the village shuts its doors on Wednesdays. People stay in doors unless it's an absolute emergency. Max, though, on his birthday, decides he's had enough of being stuck in doors, and goes out in search of the wednesdays.

Just as Wendy's wish to meet Peter ends up being a whole lot more trouble than she had expected, Max's successful encounter with the wednesdays leaves him cursed by his own personal bad luck. A boy who can bring bad luck on any day of the week quickly becomes the town pariah.

Bourbeau keeps the problem at hand focused on Max, his bad luck and the town's on-going history with the wednesdays. By avoiding extraneous details, The Wednesdays is a magical, believable and compelling read. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 27, 2013 |
Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books.

This is a cute MG fantasy book with an interesting premise: creatures called Wednesdays show up in a certain village on the day of the same name, and they cause major trouble. Shoelaces snap, souffles collapse inward, people get stained blue, etc. etc. The protagonist, Max, is the sort of adventurous hero you need to lead this sort of story forward-- he's curious and intelligent and just a little bit too trusting. Those very things, though, land him in a more dangerous kind of trouble than what he's used to with the Wednesdays, and with the help of his friends he tries to solve the mystery of the Wednesdays, save himself, and maybe even free the town from its plague of trouble. Woohoo!

Unfortunately, and this always annoys me when it happens, the mystery isn't ever completely solved. We learn a bit about how Wednesdays are made (sort of), where they come from (vaguely), and why they cause trouble (well, it's inferred). But nothing's ever solidly figured out and it ends in that sort of magical realism way where you're not sure of anything and things that stick out at an awkward angle just have to be accepted. Know what I mean?

I think it'd make a good TV movie for Disney, if that helps with anything. It's got that late 1990s/early 2000s Disney live-action movie feel to it. (Think Halloweentown in tone.) ( )
  herebebooks | Jul 3, 2013 |
fun. Really fun. I almost quit halfway through and I'm so glad I didn't! I think I was just grumpy yesterday. longer review soon. ( )
  suziannabean | Apr 2, 2013 |
Ever had a case of the Monday's? Well, Julie Bourbeau explores that theme with a slight twist. In The Wednesdays, Max's village is stuck with a huge case of the Wednesdays - on Wednesday of course! Anything and everything goes wrong one day of the week... so in order to avoid those things happening the entire town shuts down and everyone hides. After all, you don't want to let a Wednesday into your house!

So what happens when Max peeks out of the window and lets a Wednesday in? Well.. that's the story, isn't it?

I was completely delighted by this middle-grade adventure. It had mystery, fantastic secondary characters, and riddles galore. I don't often pick up middle-grade level books, but when I do I make sure that they have something unique about them, and The Wednesdays did not disappoint on that level. It was charming, full of fun, and definitely something I'll be recommending to my nieces and nephews to read.

For you parents out there: this is a great book filled with a lot of action and adventure. I could not find anything to object to in the story for first graders on, but there is a bit of scary stuff toward the end of the book. I'd recommend a read-through first if that worries you. And even though the book seems long, I flew through it in just a few hours. Very easy to check out first. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Jul 24, 2012 |
On Wednesdays strange things happen in Max's town. Cars refuse to start, bumpers fall off, anything bad that can happen will. Most townsfolk stay inside their homes on Wednesdays and hope that nothing bad happens. On his birthday, Max irritates his parents until they put him outside with the Wednesdays.

Overall, I thought the book was a bit silly. But I think it is a perfect chapter book for younger children. It contains humor and a sense of danger that I think will excite and enthrall children. Overall, I thought it was well written and the characters were interesting and dynamic. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Mar 23, 2012 |

In a village where peculiar things happen every Wednesday, one boy must save the town to save himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible