Precious Bones by Mika Ashley-Hollinger

Precious Bones

by Mika Ashley-Hollinger

4 (1) 5 (1) 6 (1) 7 (1) 740 (1) 2012 (1) American South (1) children's (1) coming of age (2) coverless (1) family (1) fiction (2) Florida (2) HF (1) historical (1) historical fiction (2) history (1) middle grade (1) murder (1) mysteries (1) mystery (5) novel (1) racism (1) segregation (1) SRC (1) swamp (1) to-read (1) trailers (1) YA (2) young adult (1)

scducharme | Aug 25, 2013 |
Bones and her best friend Little Man love spending their summer hunting, fishing and exploring the swamp. Her father Nolay is a Native American with somewhat of a temper. When two yankees come offering to buy his land he scares them off with a gun. When one of them turns up dead in the swamp Nolay becomes the prime suspect. Bones knows her daddy better than anyone. She knows he is innocent. Since the sheriff is taking so long to prove it she figures it is up to her to find out what is really going on. This book reminded me of Carl Hiaasen's book "Flush". I believe my students will enjoy this as much as I did. ( )
  skstiles612 | Aug 6, 2013 |
Bones has grown up in the Florida swamp along with her best friend Little Man. One summer, things begin to change as two Yankee investors come to try and cheat Bones' father out of his land. Soon after, one of them has gone missing and all signs point to Nolay, Bones' father, as the suspect. As Bones and her mother struggle against accusations against Nolay, there is a bigger struggle against racism and segregation happening swamp-wide.

I liked the overall message of the book but had a hard time with the very "redneck" setting and characters -- maybe I just didn't have the frame of reference to enjoy them. ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 21, 2013 |
10 year old Bones lives in the Florida swamps with her mother and father Nolay, an Indian. During the summer two Yankee real estate agents come down to their land. When Nolay hears they want to purchase the land he scares them off. A few days later one of the Yanks is missing. I found this book a bit difficult to read. The writer utilized a lot of country sayings, metaphors and similes which I found a bit distracting. I also thought the book moved a bit slowly. I do think that middle school aged children will enjoy and appreciate the book. It just wasn't my style. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Mar 23, 2012 |

Meet ten-year-old Bones, whose playground is the Florida swamps, brimming with mystical witches, black bears, alligators and bobcats. Bones' father, Nolay, a Miccosukee Indian, is smart and mischievous. Her Mama, practical as corn bread, can see straight into Bones' soul.

It's summer, and Bones is busy hunting and fishing with her best friend, Little Man. But then two Yankee real estate agents trespass on her family's land, and Nolay scares them off with his gun. When a storm blows in and Bones and Little Man uncover something horrible at the edge of the Loo-chee swamp, the evidence of foul play points to Nolay. The only person that can help Nolay is Sheriff LeRoy, who's as slow as pond water. Bones is determined to take matters into her own hands. If it takes a miracle, then a miracle is what she will deliver.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:51 -0400)

In 1949 in the Florida Everglades, a ten-year-old girl called Bones, whose father is part Miccosukee Indian, tries to discover what really happened when he is accused of two murders and sent to jail.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,307,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible