The Mongoliad: Book One Collector's Edition…

The Mongoliad: Book One Collector's Edition [includes the prequel Sinner]… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Neal Stephenson, Erik Bear, Greg Bear, Joseph Brassey, E.D. deBirmingham3 more, Cooper Moo, Mark Teppo, Mike Grell (Illustrator)

Member:rocko
Title:The Mongoliad: Book One Collector's Edition [includes the prequel Sinner] (The Foreworld Saga)
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Other authors:Erik Bear, Greg Bear, Joseph Brassey, E.D. deBirmingham, Cooper Moo2 more, Mark Teppo, Mike Grell (Illustrator)
Info:47North (2012), Edition: Collectors, Hardcover
Collections:ebooks, Your library
Tags:sci-fi, historical fiction

The Mongoliad: Book One by Neal Stephenson (2012)

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Mind_Booster_Noori: Neal Stephenson retelling History with his excellent writing skills...
    Until the Sun Falls by Cecelia Holland (Ammianus, Ammianus)

I have become a big fan of Neal Stephenson, especially his science fiction work, and purchased this novel partly as result of his involvement and partly due to the subject matter (Middle Ages, Mongol Empire). While I cannot classify this work as a complete dud, I feel like I can say that Stephenson’s influence on the finished product was well hidden.

I am not sure that the collaborative effort used to produce this novel is the best way to go about such a project, and while the old saying, “too many cooks spoils the broth” may not be entirely accurate in this case, it has resulted in a completely mediocre and average work at best.

The book boasts three story lines, one within the court of the Mongol Khan (successor to Genghis) and two others among a Christian sect of warrior monks who have split in their efforts to stem the advance of the Golden Horde. The story line and the writing is very simple, far more so than anything you might expect from Stephenson.

This is part one of a three part story and since I purchased all three at once, I’ll be completing the trilogy. ( )
  santhony | Mar 2, 2015 |
A secret history of knights sent on a suicide mission to kill the Great Khan and stop the fall of Christendom into the hands of the Mongol Horde. Lots of sword fighting and shield bashing and medieval combat tactics. The characters aren't all the memorable and plot twists aren't all that surprising, but heck, its still fun escapism. Sure its not high lit but it satisfies that little beast in me that wants to go questing across the lands with some shield brothers against all odds fighting the barbarians. Fun, fun, fun. Be warned though: just because Neal Stephenson is on the author list does not mean that the book is anything like his usual fair. You can catch glimpses of him here and there but this does not read like a prequel to the Baroque Cycle. This collaborative effort is something altogether different. These are group of authors who all love western martial arts and wanted to write a serial story that highlights that interest. As long as you go into the Foreworld Saga with that understanding, the reading can be more easily enjoyed. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Jan 5, 2015 |
Great story. Two story lines that have a long way to go before they intersect.

Left me hungry for the next volume! ( )
  Vettius29 | Jan 2, 2015 |
Impression 30% through the book? Editing makes a HUGE difference. I subscribed to the Foreworld project for a year, but I got bogged down in chapter four and couldn't get restarted. I started it over using the iPad app to read the web version, but again I got bogged down in too many plot lines. I couldn't keep track of the characters and thus couldn't really care what happened to them.

Then I bought the Kindle version (not while it was .99, sadly) and this time the story-lines are curated in a way that keeps my attention. The Mongoliad is a project about authoring and writing as much as it is a finished project and one thing I think it demonstrates clearly is that stories may move from the beginning to the end, but they aren't written that way and a good editor can make the difference between something that never quite gets off the ground and a rewarding tale. Even when the books are essentially the same content.

*********************************

Impression upon reaching the end: the book isn't finished, but neither am I finished with these characters. I'm invested in them and their story lines. So much so that I'm annoyed that there wasn't any resolution or climax. Back to editing, I think everything worked except the packaging as a novel. This is a serial work in progress. The last page contained no satisfying conclusion or cliff hanger, the story just stopped. That was a bit abrupt and jarring, but only when I think of it as a novel. When I think of how it is being written, that makes perfect sense.

Now, I think I'm going to resubscribe to the Foreworld project so I can read the new chapters as they come out.

nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |

deBirmingham, E. D.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grell, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moo, CooperAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Teppo, MarkAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
They put swords in our hands and taught us how to use them.
To Michael "Tinker" Pearce, Angus Trim & Guy Windsor
Cnan halted just outside the clearing surrounding the stone monastery and dropped to a crouch.

A note on this edition: The Mongoliad began as a social media experiment, combining serial story-telling with a unique level of interaction between authors and audience during the creative process. Since its original iteration, The Mongoliad has been restructured, edited, and rewritten under the supervision of its authors to create a more cohesive reading experience and will be published as a trilogy of novels. This edition is the definitive edition and is the authors' preferred text.

The first novel to be released in The Foreworld Saga, The Mongoliad: Book One, is an epic-within-an-epic, taking place in 13th century. In it, a small band of warriors and mystics raise their swords to save Europe from a bloodthirsty Mongol invasion. Inspired by their leader (an elder of an order of warrior monks), they embark on a perilous journey and uncover the history of hidden knowledge and conflict among powerful secret societies that had been shaping world events for millennia.

But the saga reaches the modern world via a circuitous route. In the late 19th century, Sir Richard F. Burton, an expert on exotic languages and historical swordsmanship, is approached by a mysterious group of English martial arts aficionados about translating a collection of long-lost manuscripts. Burton dies before his work is finished, and his efforts were thought lost until recently rediscovered by a team of amateur archaeologists in the ruins of a mansion in Trieste, Italy. From this collection of arcana, the incredible tale of The Mongoliad was recreated.

Full of high adventure, unforgettable characters, and unflinching battle scenes, The Mongoliad ignites a dangerous quest where willpower and blades are tested and the scope of world-building is redefined.
[retrieved 9/22/2012 from Amazon.com]

In 1241, warriors try to stop the Mongols from invading Europe; in the nineteenth century, a group of martial artists provide a language expert with lost manuscripts to translate that chronicle their ancestors' thirteenth century battles.

104 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,750,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible