Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett

Anna of Byzantium (1999)

by Tracy Barrett

Mary, Bloody Mary: A Young Royals Book by Carolyn Meyer (rebecca191, Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are works that take a look at famous historical females whose legacies today are mostly negative.
    The Alexiad of Anna Comnena by Anna Comnena (inge87)

I am too easily swayed to write a coherent review of this book, but I have been interested in the Crusades and this drew my attention. I would like to learn more about the Comnena family and this was a good start. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
A story giving flesh to the historical character of Anna of Byzantium. Yes, it's historical fiction and liberties were taken with the characters, but overall I found it fairly interesting. The Byzantine empire isn't something I'm terribly familiar with, but this book definitely piqued my interest in it. I also enjoyed the references made to classical myths my Anna's teacher. Always fun to see classics at work. I enjoy reading books like this based on lesser known historical characters. We get caught up on the same few "big" characters of the past that so many other interesting people get overlooked. I'm happy to see fiction like this in the young adult section, letting children know about these lesser known figures like Anna.

That being said, I really disliked Anna. She's the main character and I suppose as such you're supposed to empathize with her and see things from her perspective, but I had trouble as seeing her as anything more than a spoiled brat who was trying to play a game that she didn't realize the rules of. Maybe I just got off on the wrong foot with her in the beginning chapters, after all, my first impression was of her whining about how horrible her life was and how everyone was against her and couldn't understand her. She's a spoiled princess. Instead I really enjoyed the character of her brother John. Sure he did some pretty bratty things, but somehow I doubt that Anna would have hesitated to do those same things if she had been in position to do so. Despite his dyslexia, John truly learns to play the game of politics and not only wins his way to the throne but also outmaneuvers the ruthless grandmother. He did what Anna tried to do but better, and in the end he proves to be a good person. True, Anna did redeem herself somewhat by the time the narration returns to her in the convent, but I still feel that on some level she was still the spoiled princess. ( )
  InfinityOutlaw | Mar 9, 2011 |
Very interesting tale of a young woman in a Byzantine court. The background information about court customs, food, and protocol is fascinating in itself. The story centers around the relationship of Anna and her domineering grandmother who continually puts Anna's mother down. Anna is caught between love for her parents and her ruthless grandmother who schools her in preparation to ascend the throne.

Anna, in real life, must have been very ambitious as she undertook to dethrone her brother not once but twice. The book takes a liberal hand with the story as it places Anna in exile in a convent as a teenager, but, as the author's note indicates, she actually had married and bore several children.

Anna is known as the author of The Alexiad, (available at http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/AnnaComnena-Alexiad.html) an eleven volume book recounting events of her father's reign. I am especially curious about her true relationship with her grandmother, Anna Dalassena, as the one except I read held only praise for her abilities. ( )
  kthomp25 | Jan 19, 2011 |
Fantastic historical fiction novel. I was about 13 or so when I first read it, and I remember how vivid it was for me. "Anna" got me interested in both Byzantine and Roman history. ( )
  FutureMrsJoshGroban | Nov 14, 2010 |
I love this book because the author purposely portrays the main character, Anna Comnena, in a way that makes the reader hate her. She is spoiled, arrogant, cold, and power hungry above all else.
A great work of character development, the reader sees her gradually change over the years.
This is a sad and powerful story, with rich detail about the historical setting of Byzantium.
I loved this book! ( )
  joririchardson | Jan 20, 2010 |
Ilene Cooper (Booklist, April 1, 1999 (Vol. 95, No. 15))
In the tradition of E. L. Konigsburg's A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (1973) and Karen Cushman's Catherine, Called Birdy (1994) comes this story of a real-life historical figure, Anna Commena, groomed to be the sovereign of the Byzantine empire. But events intervene, and the birth of a baby brother is just as bad as the invasion of barbarians. Barrett uses an effective first-person narrative to draw readers into Anna's story, and the author's precise use of detail helps re-create Anna's world, the palace of Constantinople in the ninth century. The story is told in a flashback; Anna has already been exiled to a convent by her brother for trying to overthrow him. Readers will be caught up in Anna's evolution as she moves from loving child and heir of the emperor to pawn in her grandmother's plan to continue as the power behind the throne to discarded princess, stripped of all she holds dear, especially her future. The author's note at the book's conclusion is informative, but it also raises several questions, including why Anna's brother, depicted as nasty and spiteful in the book, became one of the empire's most beloved emperors. The Byzantine empire is often neglected in studies of the Middle Ages. This exciting read--with a particularly enticing cover--will help change that oversight. Category: Middle Readers. 1999, Delacorte, $14.95. Gr. 5-7.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper

When I woke up this morning, I could see through my window-slit that the winter sky was dark.
"Negotiation, that's the key," she said. "Promise what you must, and keep only those promises that benefit you."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440415365, Mass Market Paperback)

Anna Comnena has every reason to feel entitled. She's a princess, her father's firstborn and his chosen successor. Someday she expects to sit on the throne and rule the vast Byzantine Empire. So the birth of a baby brother doesn't perturb her. Nor do the "barbarians" from foreign lands, who think only a son should ascend to power. Anna is as dismissive of them as are her father and his most trusted adviser--his mother, a manipulative woman with whom Anna studies the art of diplomacy. Anna relishes her lessons, proving adept at checkmating opponents in swift moves of mental chess. But as she matures into a young woman, her arrogance and intelligence threaten her grandmother. Anna will be no one's puppet. Almost overnight, Anna sees her dreams of power wrenched from her and bestowed on her little brother. Bitter at the betrayal, Anna waits to avenge herself, and to seize what is rightfully hers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:47 -0400)

In the eleventh century the teenage princess Anna Comnena fights for her birthright, the throne to the Byzantine Empire, which she fears will be taken from her by her younger brother John because he is a boy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible