The New New Rules by Bill Maher

The New New Rules (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Bill Maher

Member:boo-radley
Title:The New New Rules
Authors:Bill Maher
Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Non-Fiction, E-Book

The New New Rules: A Funny Look At How Everybody But Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass by Bill Maher (2011)

English (12)  German (1)  All languages (13)
As a huge fan of Bill Maher, I must say that this book was a little disappointing but still overall a good read. I say disappointing not that it was bad, I quite enjoy his humor, but as others have said some parts of the book are dated and no longer apply. Despite this, any intellectual should read this book and listen to/watch his standup or HBO show because it brings into perspective all of the things that are causing America to fall behind Europe and Asia in the hunt for global supremacy. ( )
  Lerrold | Mar 21, 2014 |
A print version of a monologue segment of his TV show, this second collection dates as far back as the end of the Bush II administration. His targets are largely political or cultural phenomenon, and while still very funny, parts of the book seem a little dated. Not all of the optimism shown ridiculing right-wing nut jobs has quite played out the way Maher (or the rest of the nation) had hoped. But there is still plenty of ammo which to ridicule and scorn conservatives, fundamentalists, and both. And for that, I must highly recommend the book. ( )
  JeffV | Mar 15, 2014 |
As usual, Maher get it right!!! ( )
  KayD1010 | Feb 25, 2014 |
If you've ever watched Real Time with Bill Maher, then you are probably familiar with Bill Maher's segment toward the end of each show called New Rules. This book is a collection of New Rules, including both the short ones and some of the longer comedic essays.

Of course, with all things Bill Maher, you have to expect the politically charged brand of humor that he is quite famous for. This book does not disappoint. It is filled with that irreverent, yet informed style that he has become so famous and hated for. There are times when some might feel that he crosses a line, but it is never anything worse than what you could see weekly on his show. And he jokes about people on both sides of the political spectrum.

The book is arranged alphabetically by joke name, so it is easy to keep up with where exactly you are. Most of the names for the jokes give a pretty big clue about what it will be about. The essays are in order of when they appeared on the series, with the oldest ones coming in the front of the book. It is an extremely easy read and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who just is having one of those days when they need a laugh to get through the day. ( )
  janersm | Sep 28, 2013 |
Funny and made me laugh, also made me jump to my computer to look up statistics, which he amazingly had right, which is so sad. And then started feeling a little repetitive and at the very end, I was a little bored but luckily it was really close to the end. Some of the stuff I knew, some I didn't, and some I didn't agree with, like calling back when a phone call drops. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
To Jasmine
New Rule: People who read a book's foreward are anal.

From bestselling author and host of HBO's Real Time, Bill Maher's new book of political riffs serves up a savagely funny set of rules for preserving sanity in an insane world

A follow-up to the New York Times bestselling The New Rules, The New New Rules delivers a series of hilarious, intelligent rants on everything from same-sex marriage to healthcare, from Republican agendas to celebrity meltdowns, with all the razor-sharp insight that has made Bill Maher one of the most influential comedic voices shaping the political debate today. With another presidential campaign on the horizon and a stellar set of real- life characters to have fun with-"New Rule: If Charlie Sheen's home life means he can't have a TV show, then I say Newt Gingrich can't be president"-this enlightening and important book may be the best thing you pretend to read all year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:08 -0400)

From bestselling author and host of HBO's "Real Time," Bill Maher's new book of political riffs serves up a savagely funny set of rules for preserving sanity in an insane world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible