Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest…

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection (edition 2012)

by A. J. Jacobs

Member:judithrs
Title:Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
Authors:A. J. Jacobs
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction read 2012

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection by A. J. Jacobs

This book was a funny and informative way to learn about the latest "trends" and the science (or lack thereof) behind them. ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
Another amusing book from the self-experimenting Jacobs, who this time around conducts all sorts of health-related projects. Some of them are commonsensical (exercising more, eating less), but others range from the trendy (the Paleo diet, barefoot running) to the neurotic (wearing noise-canceling headphones everywhere) to the outright bizarre. (Apologies to those who actually use neti pots, but I find the picture at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation a little off-putting.) Jacobs chronicles his quest with his characteristic good humor, and is willing not only to say when certain remedies are either impractical or unproven, but is able to poke fun at himself whenever he goes completely overboard - which, thankfully for readers, is very, very often. ( )
  bostonian71 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I half expected this book to annoy me. Having read some of A.J. Jacobs' other works, I expected it would feel too extreme, but it didn't. It was missing some of the zeal of [b:The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible|495395|The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible|A.J. Jacobs|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327977486s/495395.jpg|2325789] or [b:The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World|28116|The Know-It-All One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World|A.J. Jacobs|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388203479s/28116.jpg|197064], but it was still fun, informative, and entertaining.

lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Cute at first but I quickly got too bored to finish the book. ( )
  bpreed | Jan 15, 2014 |
I have to admit, I was really hesitant to read a health book, but it turns out that this book isn't just a regular, boring book about all the stuff you have to go without to be healthy. Jacobs spends 2 years focusing on specific areas of the body and, through research and talking to various doctors and experts, he tries different diets, practices, exercises, and a myriad other things to become "the healthiest man alive". Of course, that's nearly impossible to do. But through Jacobs' stories and experiments, I learned a lot about the human body and the creative, and sometimes insane, things people do to be healthy. I was even inspired to start living my life in a more healthy way (although I won't be running around barefoot with noise-cancelling headphones).

Jacobs has a humorous and self-deprecating writing style, which makes this book all the more entertaining. I want to pick up his other books (about his year of living biblically and about the time he decided to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica). ( )
1 vote kaylaraeintheway | Sep 11, 2013 |
To Julie and my sons
For the last few months, I've been assembling a list of things I need to do to improve my health.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141659907X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: You may know A.J. Jacobs as the man who attempted to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover-to-cover. Or you may have been introduced to him when he spent a year trying to follow the Bible as literally as possible. He returns once again with another seemingly impossible task--that of becoming the healthiest man alive. As with his earlier books, Jacobs brings his quick wit, self-deprecating humor, and journalistic eye to the experiment. He leaves no health stone unturned: from literally running his errands and wearing noise-cancelling headphones for hours a day to rigging a desk that he can work at while walking on the treadmill (there are instructions at the end for those interested), Jacobs chronicles the good, bad, and ugly of trying to attain “perfect” health. Jacobs’ writing is breezy, informational, and entertaining, and he manages to achieve the near impossible--discussing issues of health without sounding preachy. --Caley Anderson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:26 -0400)

"Having sanctified himself in The Year of Living Biblically and sharpened his mind in The Know-It-All, A. J. Jacobs had one feat left in the self-improvement trinity: to become the healthiest man in the world. He didn't want just to lose weight, or finish a triathlon, or lower his cholesterol. His ambitions were far, far greater: Maximal health from head to toe.The task was massive. He had to tackle a complicated web of diet and exercise advice, much of which was nonsensical, unproven, and contradictory. He had to consult a team of medical advisers. And he had to subject himself to a grueling regimen of exercises, a range of diets, and an array of practices to improve everything from his hearing to his sleep to his sex life all the while testing the patience of his long-suffering wife. He left nothing untested, from the caveman workout to veganism, from the treadmill desk to extreme chewing. Drop Dead Healthy teems with hilarity and warmth and pushes our cultures assumptions about and obsessions with what makes good health, allowing the reader to reflect on his or her own health, body, and eventual mortality"-- "One mans comedic journey to discover how to live as healthfully as possible"--… (more)

451 wanted4 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,177,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible