Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest…

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection (edition 2012)

by A. J. Jacobs

Title:Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
Authors:A. J. Jacobs
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:nonfiction read 2012

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection by A. J. Jacobs

've read Jacobs' The Guinea Pig Diaries and thought it was really funny how he jumps into these experiments, so I knew that his quest to be the healthiest man in the world would be just as funny. It was also very educational, because he drops in facts he learns along the way. Each chapter is a month that he focuses on a different aspect of health - like trying to find the right diet, how to get the best sleep, the best exercise, how to protect your hearing and your memory, etc. He puts a humorous spin on things, but it's also written so it's really easy to understand - there's not too much science, there's not too much opinion. In the cases of diet, for instance, he balances equally between vegetarianism, veganism, and being carnivorous without taking sides. Eventually he does express opinions on what worked for him, but it all seems really fair, not biased. The pictures accompanying each chapter of Jacobs in action are pretty funny, too. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Atkins. Paleo. Vegan. Wheat Belly. With all the health options on the market (and so little advertising restrictions), how could you possibly choose which way to be healthy? A. J. Jacobs to the rescue! The man who read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover to cover and who spent a year following all the rules in the Hebrew Bible turns the focus on healthy living.

Jacobs spent two years of his life focusing on various areas of healthy living—from the exercise to meditation, from detoxing to finger fitness. He recounts his experiences in hilarious fashion. Here's a taste:

I hurt my shoulder the other day. I hurt it while lugging a sheet of drywall out of my apartment. At least that's what I tell people. Because I don't want to hear their sass when I tell them the truth. Which is that I hurt my shoulder kayaking. On Wii. (113)

Drop Dead Healthy is a funny entertaining read that might actually teach you something about living healthier. ( )
  StephenBarkley | Sep 14, 2015 |

Another entertaining read from the "experiential journalist." this time he tackles health and the health industry, from the diet, fitness and general health perspectives. He tries out a few obscure fads and works on getting specific areas of his body as healthy as he can make them, and discovers along the way that if we were to take every piece of health advice at face value, we would spend all our time just trying to be healthy, and not enjoying the benefits of good health. As was the case with his other studies, "everything in moderation" becomes the best advice of all. A person could get cynical reading Jacobs' fad diaries, but he includes just enough personal detail to remind the reader that he is, in fact , a person, with real stuff going on in his life, and that makes the narrative easier to digest. ( )
1 vote karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
This book chronicles the experiments of A.J. Jacobs to improve his health. It was not my favorite A.J. Jacobs book. I think I felt unsatisfied because he spent so little time on each experiment and each topic and I really wanted more complete explanations. I realize the book would have to be thousands of pages to accomplish this goal, but nevertheless, it somehow felt incomplete. I wanted to know more about diet, memory and cognition, the benefits of meditation, toxins in the home, etc. This was the first book where Jacobs started to annoy me a bit, but it was still an entertaining read. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This book was a funny and informative way to learn about the latest "trends" and the science (or lack thereof) behind them. ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
To Julie and my sons
For the last few months, I've been assembling a list of things I need to do to improve my health.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141659907X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: You may know A.J. Jacobs as the man who attempted to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover-to-cover. Or you may have been introduced to him when he spent a year trying to follow the Bible as literally as possible. He returns once again with another seemingly impossible task--that of becoming the healthiest man alive. As with his earlier books, Jacobs brings his quick wit, self-deprecating humor, and journalistic eye to the experiment. He leaves no health stone unturned: from literally running his errands and wearing noise-cancelling headphones for hours a day to rigging a desk that he can work at while walking on the treadmill (there are instructions at the end for those interested), Jacobs chronicles the good, bad, and ugly of trying to attain “perfect” health. Jacobs’ writing is breezy, informational, and entertaining, and he manages to achieve the near impossible--discussing issues of health without sounding preachy. --Caley Anderson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:19 -0400)

"Having sanctified himself in The Year of Living Biblically and sharpened his mind in The Know-It-All, A. J. Jacobs had one feat left in the self-improvement trinity: to become the healthiest man in the world. He didn't want just to lose weight, or finish a triathlon, or lower his cholesterol. His ambitions were far, far greater: Maximal health from head to toe.The task was massive. He had to tackle a complicated web of diet and exercise advice, much of which was nonsensical, unproven, and contradictory. He had to consult a team of medical advisers. And he had to subject himself to a grueling regimen of exercises, a range of diets, and an array of practices to improve everything from his hearing to his sleep to his sex life all the while testing the patience of his long-suffering wife. He left nothing untested, from the caveman workout to veganism, from the treadmill desk to extreme chewing. Drop Dead Healthy teems with hilarity and warmth and pushes our cultures assumptions about and obsessions with what makes good health, allowing the reader to reflect on his or her own health, body, and eventual mortality"-- "One mans comedic journey to discover how to live as healthfully as possible"--… (more)

296 wanted4 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible