Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest…

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection (edition 2012)

by A. J. Jacobs

Member:Stbalbach
Title:Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
Authors:A. J. Jacobs
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 418 pages
Rating:***

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection by A. J. Jacobs

Another entertaining read from the "experiential journalist." this time he tackles health and the health industry, from the diet, fitness and general health perspectives. He tries out a few obscure fads and works on getting specific areas of his body as healthy as he can make them, and discovers along the way that if we were to take every piece of health advice at face value, we would spend all our time just trying to be healthy, and not enjoying the benefits of good health. As was the case with his other studies, "everything in moderation" becomes the best advice of all. A person could get cynical reading Jacobs' fad diaries, but he includes just enough personal detail to remind the reader that he is, in fact , a person, with real stuff going on in his life, and that makes the narrative easier to digest. ( )
1 vote karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
This book chronicles the experiments of A.J. Jacobs to improve his health. It was not my favorite A.J. Jacobs book. I think I felt unsatisfied because he spent so little time on each experiment and each topic and I really wanted more complete explanations. I realize the book would have to be thousands of pages to accomplish this goal, but nevertheless, it somehow felt incomplete. I wanted to know more about diet, memory and cognition, the benefits of meditation, toxins in the home, etc. This was the first book where Jacobs started to annoy me a bit, but it was still an entertaining read. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This book was a funny and informative way to learn about the latest "trends" and the science (or lack thereof) behind them. ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
Another amusing book from the self-experimenting Jacobs, who this time around conducts all sorts of health-related projects. Some of them are commonsensical (exercising more, eating less), but others range from the trendy (the Paleo diet, barefoot running) to the neurotic (wearing noise-canceling headphones everywhere) to the outright bizarre. (Apologies to those who actually use neti pots, but I find the picture at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation a little off-putting.) Jacobs chronicles his quest with his characteristic good humor, and is willing not only to say when certain remedies are either impractical or unproven, but is able to poke fun at himself whenever he goes completely overboard - which, thankfully for readers, is very, very often. ( )
  bostonian71 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I half expected this book to annoy me. Having read some of A.J. Jacobs' other works, I expected it would feel too extreme, but it didn't. It was missing some of the zeal of [b:The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible|495395|The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible|A.J. Jacobs|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327977486s/495395.jpg|2325789] or [b:The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World|28116|The Know-It-All One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World|A.J. Jacobs|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388203479s/28116.jpg|197064], but it was still fun, informative, and entertaining.

lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
To Julie and my sons
For the last few months, I've been assembling a list of things I need to do to improve my health.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141659907X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: You may know A.J. Jacobs as the man who attempted to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover-to-cover. Or you may have been introduced to him when he spent a year trying to follow the Bible as literally as possible. He returns once again with another seemingly impossible task--that of becoming the healthiest man alive. As with his earlier books, Jacobs brings his quick wit, self-deprecating humor, and journalistic eye to the experiment. He leaves no health stone unturned: from literally running his errands and wearing noise-cancelling headphones for hours a day to rigging a desk that he can work at while walking on the treadmill (there are instructions at the end for those interested), Jacobs chronicles the good, bad, and ugly of trying to attain “perfect” health. Jacobs’ writing is breezy, informational, and entertaining, and he manages to achieve the near impossible--discussing issues of health without sounding preachy. --Caley Anderson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:19 -0400)

"Having sanctified himself in The Year of Living Biblically and sharpened his mind in The Know-It-All, A. J. Jacobs had one feat left in the self-improvement trinity: to become the healthiest man in the world. He didn't want just to lose weight, or finish a triathlon, or lower his cholesterol. His ambitions were far, far greater: Maximal health from head to toe.The task was massive. He had to tackle a complicated web of diet and exercise advice, much of which was nonsensical, unproven, and contradictory. He had to consult a team of medical advisers. And he had to subject himself to a grueling regimen of exercises, a range of diets, and an array of practices to improve everything from his hearing to his sleep to his sex life all the while testing the patience of his long-suffering wife. He left nothing untested, from the caveman workout to veganism, from the treadmill desk to extreme chewing. Drop Dead Healthy teems with hilarity and warmth and pushes our cultures assumptions about and obsessions with what makes good health, allowing the reader to reflect on his or her own health, body, and eventual mortality"-- "One mans comedic journey to discover how to live as healthfully as possible"--… (more)

320 wanted4 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,021,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible