Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest…

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection (edition 2012)

by A. J. Jacobs

Member:Stbalbach
Title:Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
Authors:A. J. Jacobs
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 418 pages
Rating:***

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection by A. J. Jacobs

I seem to be on a health reading kick of late. I found this entertaining and interesting. It was good as an audio book -I'm not sure it would have held my interest as much if I was reading it on paper or Kindle. There is good information and this is certainly an appealing way to present it. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Once again Mr. Jacobs enlightens and entertains. In this book he is trying to become as healthy as earthly possible. whether he is working on the eyes or the brain or the bowels he takes some known approaches and even looks into some off the wall techniques.

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
've read Jacobs' The Guinea Pig Diaries and thought it was really funny how he jumps into these experiments, so I knew that his quest to be the healthiest man in the world would be just as funny. It was also very educational, because he drops in facts he learns along the way. Each chapter is a month that he focuses on a different aspect of health - like trying to find the right diet, how to get the best sleep, the best exercise, how to protect your hearing and your memory, etc. He puts a humorous spin on things, but it's also written so it's really easy to understand - there's not too much science, there's not too much opinion. In the cases of diet, for instance, he balances equally between vegetarianism, veganism, and being carnivorous without taking sides. Eventually he does express opinions on what worked for him, but it all seems really fair, not biased. The pictures accompanying each chapter of Jacobs in action are pretty funny, too. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Atkins. Paleo. Vegan. Wheat Belly. With all the health options on the market (and so little advertising restrictions), how could you possibly choose which way to be healthy? A. J. Jacobs to the rescue! The man who read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover to cover and who spent a year following all the rules in the Hebrew Bible turns the focus on healthy living.

Jacobs spent two years of his life focusing on various areas of healthy living—from the exercise to meditation, from detoxing to finger fitness. He recounts his experiences in hilarious fashion. Here's a taste:

I hurt my shoulder the other day. I hurt it while lugging a sheet of drywall out of my apartment. At least that's what I tell people. Because I don't want to hear their sass when I tell them the truth. Which is that I hurt my shoulder kayaking. On Wii. (113)

Drop Dead Healthy is a funny entertaining read that might actually teach you something about living healthier. ( )
  StephenBarkley | Sep 14, 2015 |
To Julie and my sons
For the last few months, I've been assembling a list of things I need to do to improve my health.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141659907X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: You may know A.J. Jacobs as the man who attempted to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from cover-to-cover. Or you may have been introduced to him when he spent a year trying to follow the Bible as literally as possible. He returns once again with another seemingly impossible task--that of becoming the healthiest man alive. As with his earlier books, Jacobs brings his quick wit, self-deprecating humor, and journalistic eye to the experiment. He leaves no health stone unturned: from literally running his errands and wearing noise-cancelling headphones for hours a day to rigging a desk that he can work at while walking on the treadmill (there are instructions at the end for those interested), Jacobs chronicles the good, bad, and ugly of trying to attain “perfect” health. Jacobs’ writing is breezy, informational, and entertaining, and he manages to achieve the near impossible--discussing issues of health without sounding preachy. --Caley Anderson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:19 -0400)

"Having sanctified himself in The Year of Living Biblically and sharpened his mind in The Know-It-All, A. J. Jacobs had one feat left in the self-improvement trinity: to become the healthiest man in the world. He didn't want just to lose weight, or finish a triathlon, or lower his cholesterol. His ambitions were far, far greater: Maximal health from head to toe.The task was massive. He had to tackle a complicated web of diet and exercise advice, much of which was nonsensical, unproven, and contradictory. He had to consult a team of medical advisers. And he had to subject himself to a grueling regimen of exercises, a range of diets, and an array of practices to improve everything from his hearing to his sleep to his sex life all the while testing the patience of his long-suffering wife. He left nothing untested, from the caveman workout to veganism, from the treadmill desk to extreme chewing. Drop Dead Healthy teems with hilarity and warmth and pushes our cultures assumptions about and obsessions with what makes good health, allowing the reader to reflect on his or her own health, body, and eventual mortality"-- "One mans comedic journey to discover how to live as healthfully as possible"--… (more)

257 wanted4 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,484,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible