Burned: A Void City Novel by J. F. Lewis

Burned: A Void City Novel (edition 2012)

by J. F. Lewis

Member:devi
Title:Burned: A Void City Novel
Authors:J. F. Lewis
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:2012, vampires, fiction, series

Burned by J. F. Lewis

This book just wasn't as much fun as the rest of the series, and I'm rather glad to see it end. To be blunt, between Greta's psychosis, Eric's Alzheimer's, the Mysterious Plan, and the shifting viewpoints, it was harder to follow than I thought the story really merited.
Basically, this book is set a year after the previous one and is all about getting Eric out of the colossally bad deal he made at the end of that volume. He's got A Plan, and everything he does is in accordance with it, but we don't find out what it is until almost the end of the book. Thus, the reader spends over 300 pages wondering why Eric's making all of these (apparently) stupid decisions, and when The Plan is finally revealed, the revelation doesn't tell us much more than we've already figured out. In my opinion, part of that chapter could've been restructured as a prologue, and the book would have worked a lot better. The Plan wouldn't have been as mysterious, but Eric's actions wouldn't have seemed so out of character.
Furthermore, several plot elements pop up and just...go away. The ghosts are annoying but have no impact. Eric's cousin is entertaining, but fades into the background pretty quickly when she joins the team. The same goes for the chupacabras, Schrödinger's vampire, Rachel, Mab's owner, and more things that I just don't care enough to list.
Overall, I just can't recommend this one. It works okay as a way to end the series, but it's more of a slog than the romps that the earlier books were. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |

Taking control of Void City's supernatural hierarchy, Eric installs his insane vampire daughter as the city's sheriff of the supernatural, which results in bloody chaos, and, while trying to maintain his reign, deals with early onset Alzheimer's vampire hunters, demons and the love of his life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,543,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible