Deadly Descendant by Jenna Black

Deadly Descendant (edition 2012)

by Jenna Black

Member:jmacaulay
Title:Deadly Descendant
Authors:Jenna Black
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:paranormal, urban fantasy, Nikki Glass, book, ARC

Deadly Descendant by Jenna Black

I like how the heroine in this is not really coping well dealing with knowing she is a descendant of a Greek goddess and being thrust into a world she never knew and tries to keep her independence. But that she has the means to be financially independent but doesn't want to use it is silly, The story deals with her group trying to clean up the mess of the rival group but of course there is info withheld and personalities in conflict the entire time. A good light read and I will be picking up the next one. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
If I could, I'd rate this one 3.5 stars, so I'm being generous with my rating. I definitely enjoyed reading this book, but I had completely forgotten the first book and had to read it again to catch up with the plot lines and characters. Luckily I'm a fast reader, but for some reason these characters don't stick with me as others do (Kate Daniels, anyone?). I'll continue reading the series and hoping for the best. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I forgot how much I loved this series. I love the characters and the world. I have always loved the old Greek and Roman mythologies. I think Ms. Black has done a great job bringing in not just the old Greek gods, but many of the other civilizations gods as well.

In this book, you learn a lot more about the Liberi. Emma is reeking havoc and driving everyone crazy, especially Nikki. We see more of Black and Jack. We learn a lot about Jamaal. He is much older than anyone realizes, coming originally from slavery. He has a great back story. I can't wait to learn more about him and see where things go between Nikki and him. Can't wait for the next book.

If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend it. I have read all the Jenna Black books. The one thing I can really say about her books, each series is completely different. I will also say that I like each series more than the last. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Good.. it leaves you wanting more.. but it didn't quite satisfy. rather like a Twinkie. ( )
  Readsalot81 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Second books in a planned series are quite a tricky maneuver in my opinion as the world building has already been started in the first book and the series isn't ending. Happily enough Deadly Descendant blew the first book out of the water in my opinion and left me wanting more! In this installment, Nikki is up against a mysterious man who seems to be causing random fatal "wild dog attacks". Interestingly enough, these aren't actual wild dogs but instead are deadly jackals which have the ability to harm even an immortal like Nikki herself. Nikki will have to figure out who is controlling the jackals while also keeping herself out of harms way. But who better than an immortal descendant like herself??

As soon as I cracked this book open, I knew that I was going to be well and truly hooked. The story started off with a bang and just kept going throughout. I love a book that keeps me turning pages without taking the time to check and see how far along I am or how many pages I might have left. This was one of those books. I just HAD to see what was going to happen next and I was finished before I knew it. I loved that while Nikki is still learning about her new abilities and skills, her character grew stronger and more self confident in this book. She was more kick-ass which is never a bad thing in my opinion :) I also enjoyed the fact that the author took strands from the first story and really tied them into this storyline. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next book especially in regards to Anderson and his wife. Hmmm...the plot thickens. And Jamaal. Yum! I seriously hope that we get to see more of his character in the 3rd book and learn more of his history. I'm so intrigued!

Overall, this was an amazingly strong follow-up to Dark Descendant! I. Need. More! I love the way the author was able to continue on the storyline from book one without telling it all over again. I'm anxious to see the way the ending of this book will play out in regards to the next book. I want more of Nikki and Jamaal! I just plain want more of this series! The series is fresh and different from a lot of what is out there in urban fantasy which makes me like it all the more. And I really enjoyed the fact that this book was darker and grittier than the first. Because you should all know by now that I love a dark urban fantasy series. My favorite! Highly recommended!

Bottom Line: A surprisingly good follow-up to Dark Descendant and actually WAY better than Dark Descendant if I'm being honest!

Disclosure: Checked out from my local library. ( )
  samantha.1020 | Oct 9, 2012 |

As a living descendant of Artemis the Huntress, private investigator Nikki Glass knows how to track someone down. But when an Oracle shows up, warning the Descendants about wild dog attacks in Washington, D.C., Nikki is afraid it might be a trap. The Olympians believe the "dogs" are really jackals, controlled by a blood-crazed descendant of the Egyptian death-god Anubis.

Whatever. If Nikki hopes to muzzle Dogboy, she's got to catch him in the act. But when she stakes out a local cemetery, she ends up face-to-snout with a snarling pack of shadow-jackals whose bite is worse than their bark. These hellhounds are deadly - even for an immortal like Nikki. "Dog" spelled backward may be "god", but that won't stop Nikki from teaching these old gods some new tricks. Like playing dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145160680X, Mass Market Paperback)

An ancient evil is unleashed in the modern world— unless one fearless P.I. can hunt it down. . . . Nikki Glass, Immortal Huntress, returns in this new novel in the acclaimed series by Jenna Black.

As a living descendant of Artemis the Huntress, private investigator Nikki Glass knows how to track someone down. But when an Oracle shows up, warning the Descendants about wild dog attacks in Washington, D.C., Nikki is afraid it might be a trap. The Olympians believe the “dogs” are really jackals, controlled by a blood-crazed descendant of the Egyptian death-god Anubis. Whatever. . . . If Nikki hopes to muzzle Dogboy, she’s got to catch him in the act. But when she stakes out a local cemetery, she ends up face-to-snout with a snarling pack of shadow-jackals whose bite is worse than their bark. These hellhounds are deadly—even for an immortal like Nikki. “Dog” spelled backward may be “god,” but that won’t stop Nikki from teaching these old gods some new tricks. Like playing dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:25 -0400)

"As a living descendant or Artemis the Huntress, private investigator Nikki Glass knows how to track someone down. But when an Oracle shows up, warning the Descendants about wild dog attacks in Washington, D.C., Nikki is afraid it might be a trap. The Olympians believe the "dogs" are really jackals, controlled by blood-crazed descendant of the Egyptian death-god Anubis. Whatever....If Nikki hopes to muzzle Dogboy she's got to catch him in the act. But when she stakes out a local cemetery, she ends up face-to-snout with a snarling pack of shadow-jackals whose bite is worse than their bark. These hellhounds are deadly--even for an immortal like Nikki. "Dog" spelled backward may be "god" but that won't stop Nikki from teaching these old gods some new tricks. Like playing dead."… (more)

67 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible