Beautiful Blackbird by Ashley Bryan

Beautiful Blackbird

by Ashley Bryan

This is a story about how a black bird is envied by all the colorful birds who want to be just like him. Black bird is willing to share so nobody is left out. This story moves in a non-traditional direction is must be related to the fact it was taken from Zambia folklore.
  jh33 | Dec 13, 2014 |
Beautiful Blackbird is a tale adapted from Ila-speaking people of Zambia. Blackbird was truly special in the flock of rainbow colored birds, not only was he the only black one, he had rhythm and he had attitude. The birds beg Blackbird to paint a black design on each of them. Blackbird tells them that true beauty comes from within but finally gives in and paints each colorful bird with a unique marking.
  ryckecraw | Dec 2, 2014 |
This book is all about how the birds in Africa got their colors, the blackbird was considered the most beautiful because he was different than all of the others. After the other birds wanted to be like him; so he makes blackening brew to paint all the other birds. The birds are overjoyed, however blackbird told them "I'll be me and you'll be you."
I first chose this book because I was drawn to the pictures, but I enjoyed the storyline and learning how the birds got their colors. I would use this story as a part of my folktale unit in the classroom.
This book is suitable for students in kindergarten to third grade, because it can teach the students to be themselves. Students at this age are constantly trying to fit in, by playing with the same things or wearing the same clothes. However it is not what you look like that makes you special, but it is who you are in in the inside that makes you special and unique.
  Helen.Broecker | Oct 18, 2014 |
A traditional story from Zambia (specifically the Ila people, formerly Northern Rhodesia) about how the blackbird shares parts of his beautiful black feathers in a blackening brew he mixes and paints on in patterns on the other birds.
  lrubin75 | Oct 11, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a good book for children. One thing I liked about “Beautiful Blackbird” was the use of poetry throughout the book. For example, “Oh Blackbird, can we have some of that blackening too? We all need what your black can do. You’re such a artist with your feather brush, a touch of your black will be good for us.” I also liked the illustrations in the book. They were fairly simple but the book was mainly about colors and the illustrator uses bright colors and neat shapes to enhance the story. The big idea of the story is that the outside of a person doesn’t mean anything. The only thing that matters is what is on the inside and that’s what makes a person. ( )
  david.endres | Sep 24, 2014 |

Blackbird is the most envied bird in the forest. All the other birds think that he is the most beautiful with all his wonderful black feathers. They are not satisfied with their plain red, yellow, blue, and green feathers. The other birds beg Blackbird to give them some of his beauty; to paint some of their feathers black. Blackbird decides to share some of his "blackening brew" with the others. But he makes sure to state that no matter how many black marks he gives the other birds that he will still be himself and that they will still be themselves. A quote that is repeated throughout the story, “I’ll still be me, and you’ll still be you”. This book really emphasizes that true beauty comes from within.

Black is beautiful, uh-huh!

Long ago, Blackbird was voted the most beautiful bird in the forest. The other birds, who were colored red, yellow, blue, and green, were so envious that they begged Blackbird to paint their feathers with a touch of black so they could be beautiful too. Although Black-bird warns them that true beauty comes from within, the other birds persist and soon each is given a ring of black around their neck or a dot of black on their wings -- markings that detail birds to this very day.

Coretta Scott King Award-winner Ashley Bryan's adaptation of a tale from the Ila-speaking people of Zambia reso-nates both with rhythm and the tale's universal meanings -- appreciating one's heritage and discovering the beauty within. His cut-paper artwork is a joy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:30 -0400)

In a story of the Ila people, the colorful birds of Africa ask Blackbird, whom they think is the most beautiful of birds, to decorate them with some of his "blackening brew."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible