Beautiful Blackbird by Ashley Bryan

Beautiful Blackbird

by Ashley Bryan

This is an adaptation of Ila folk tale that catches your attention with its rhythm.
  gregresch | Jun 5, 2016 |
The illustrations in this book were amazing. And had a great story line. I loved the idea behind this story, how everyone changes their "colors" but they are still the same person. It allows children to think about themselves and what makes them, them. It also reminds children, what matters on the inside is more important. ( )
  lindsayeubanks | Jun 2, 2016 |
I liked this book for 2 reasons. The first reason is because of the Illustrations. The illustrations of this book really help the reader to understand the story. The book is all about African birds and their colors and the illustrations reflect this. The author even put a note in the back of the book that the illustrations are actually collages using paper and colors. Without the illustrations, the books message would have been greatly diminished. The second reason I liked this book is because it pushes readers to think about themselves. The blackbird paints each bird using black just like they ask but he continues to remind them that just because they change their color, they are still the same bird. This pushes readers to think about themselves and who they are. It reminds readers that looks aren’t everything and personality matters more. This book entertains and teaches its readers. ( )
  mheckl1 | Apr 4, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. Firstly, the language is very descriptive. For example, “With a flip-flop-flapping of their wings and a whirring, stirring of the air….” I like this aspect because the language allows me to visualize the birds flying rather than standing and visualize what they look like when flying. It also adds more to my description of flying birds and a way to describe them. Secondly, I like the use of bright colors in the story. The story is about a blackbird that stands out compared to the other birds. The other birds in the story are brightly colored blue, green, orange, yellow, pink, red, and purple, so the blackbird stands out the most. I think this highlights the importance of the blackbird, which the other birds wants to be like. Finally, I enjoyed this book because of its writing style. The book incorporates rhymes throughout the story. For example, “The colored birds never raised a wing. They raised their beaks and began to sing.” I enjoyed this because it kept my attention and made it fun to read. The main message of this story is to understand that beauty comes within and not on the outside. ( )
  pparka1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Enclosed in Traditional Literature assignment. ( )
  knorthway | Mar 9, 2016 |

Blackbird is the most envied bird in the forest. All the other birds think that he is the most beautiful with all his wonderful black feathers. They are not satisfied with their plain red, yellow, blue, and green feathers. The other birds beg Blackbird to give them some of his beauty; to paint some of their feathers black. Blackbird decides to share some of his "blackening brew" with the others. But he makes sure to state that no matter how many black marks he gives the other birds that he will still be himself and that they will still be themselves. A quote that is repeated throughout the story, “I’ll still be me, and you’ll still be you”. This book really emphasizes that true beauty comes from within.

Black is beautiful, uh-huh!

Long ago, Blackbird was voted the most beautiful bird in the forest. The other birds, who were colored red, yellow, blue, and green, were so envious that they begged Blackbird to paint their feathers with a touch of black so they could be beautiful too. Although Black-bird warns them that true beauty comes from within, the other birds persist and soon each is given a ring of black around their neck or a dot of black on their wings -- markings that detail birds to this very day.

Coretta Scott King Award-winner Ashley Bryan's adaptation of a tale from the Ila-speaking people of Zambia reso-nates both with rhythm and the tale's universal meanings -- appreciating one's heritage and discovering the beauty within. His cut-paper artwork is a joy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:50 -0400)

In a story of the Ila people, the colorful birds of Africa ask Blackbird, whom they think is the most beautiful of birds, to decorate them with some of his "blackening brew."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,808,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible