Beyonders : Seeds of Rebellion by Brandon…

Beyonders : Seeds of Rebellion (edition 2012)

by Brandon Mull

154None77,024 (4.17)6
Member:krau0098
Title:Beyonders : Seeds of Rebellion
Authors:Brandon Mull
Info:Aladdin (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover
Collections:Signed, Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:adventure, fantasy, children, magic, young adult, middle grade

Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion by Brandon Mull

3.5 stars
Originally posted at FanLit:

In the second BEYONDERS book, Seeds of Rebellion, Jason has made it back to his own world after attempting to destroy the emperor Maldor in Lyrian, the parallel universe he accidentally stumbled into after being swallowed by a hippopotamus at the zoo. Jason is unhappy at home because Rachel is still stuck in Lyrian and being hunted by the bad guys. After doing some research on the internet, he discovers that Rachel??s parents are desperately trying to find her, but Jason feels like he canƒ??t contact them or heƒ??ll be a suspect in the crime. Heƒ??s afraid to tell anyone about Lyrian ƒ?? people will just think heƒ??s crazy and he might be institutionalized. That would make it impossible for him to do what he really wants to do ƒ?? go back to Lyrian, let everyone know that the quest they were on is doomed, and tell Rachel how to get back to her parents. Meanwhile, he spends plenty of time exercising so that when he does get back, heƒ??ll be fit enough to face all the trials he knows are coming.

Eventually Jason does manage to return to Lyrian with the important news. Then he and Rachel help to muster up a small force that is willing to risk rebelling against the emperor. Thereƒ??s only a slight chance that they can succeed, but they have to take that chance. Thereƒ??s no way that Maldor is going to let Jason and Rachel get back home, and the people of Lyrian have lived too long under a tyrantƒ??s rule.

This time Jason meets some more of the weird mage-crafted races of Lyrian including a race of dwarves who turn into giants when the sun goes down. He explores secret tunnels, hears prophecies, loses his first sword fight, collects explosives, learns a lot about the history of Lyrian, eats some magic mushrooms, meets a beautiful princess, fights zombies, grows moss on his neck, and travels some harsh exotic terrain. Meanwhile, Rachel is beginning to acquire some magical talents of her own.

I mentioned in my review of the first BEYONDERS book, A World Without Heroes, that I appreciated Brandon Mullƒ??s subtle messages for children. He again does a good job with this, showing us, for example, the consequences of addiction; the necessity of being wary of someone who you know has betrayed others and being careful about who you can trust; the benefits of working as a team and being reliable when it comes to doing your part.

I particularly like how Mullƒ??s child heroes arenƒ??t doing everything themselves. Theyƒ??re working as small but significant parts of a team that is mostly adults. They ask smart questions, anticipate future problems, and contribute meaningfully while respecting the skills and wisdom of their adult companions.

Some of the plot of Seeds of Rebellion drags (thereƒ??s a lot of travelling) but young readers who enjoy spending time with Jason and Rachel probably wonƒ??t notice and will be anxious to move on to book 3, Chasing the Prophecy. This is a solid addition to the BEYONDERS series. I recommend the audio version narrated by Jeremy Bobb. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
It was a little slow at the beginning, but it definetely picked up! I loved the oracle scene! ( )
  BookZombies | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is the second book in the Beyonders trilogy. The third book will be titled Chasing the Prophecy and is scheduled for a March 2013 release. I had a lot of trouble reading this book. It is a decent story, but nowhere near the quality of Mull's Fablehaven series. I just couldn’t stay engaged with the story or the characters and this book was a struggle to get through.

Jason is itching to get back to Lyrian after being sent home at the end of the first book. When he gets there he runs around telling people that the Word did not work to destroy the evil wizard Maldor. Rachel meanwhile has meet up with a charm woman and is leaning more about how to use Words.

Seriously Jason runs around telling people the Word didn’t destroy Maldor for the first half of the book. Jason also gathers people together and journeys back to the Blind King. At this point we are over halfway through the book.

Eventually we track through the jungle, meet more Seed people, and go through a zombie infested wasteland. So there is a lot of adventuring and some fighting. I just felt like the pacing was way off and Jason didn't know his purpose or accomplish much for large portions of the book. I almost stopped reading halfway through because nothing was happening.

We do get to meet some excellent new characters. Jason is accompanied by a smuggler named Aram, who is half-giant, and we see a lot more of Ferrick and Ned (who is incredibly adept at poisons).

Rachel also learns to speak magic words and becomes a force to be reckoned with. I enjoyed Rachel's character growth and wish we had spend a lot more time hearing from her. Instead most of the book is told from Jason's POV and he just doesn't grow much or do anything all that interesting in this book.

While the book is decently written, I thought the pacing left a lot to be desired. I just found my mind wandering a lot and had a really tough time staying engaged in the story. There are so many characters in this book that we don’t get to know any of them really well, so that also makes it difficult to care about what’s happening.

Overall an okay addition to this series, but not great. I didn’t like the first book in this series a ton either. So, I guess if you were a huge fan of the first book in this series you will probably enjoy this one. I would definitely recommend reading Mull’s Fablehaven series over this one, in my opinion that is just a much more well written series. At this point I don’t think I will be reading the third book in this series. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 18, 2012 |
The second in The Beyonders series. Jason, a boy from The Beyond (earth) returns to Lyrian to help rebel agains the evil emperor Maldor. Good characters, lots of surprises, and an ending that makes you want to read the next book - kind of a cliffhanger. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jul 29, 2012 |
This book was even better than the first. The characters are still great, the plot gets even more interesting, and the end is such a cliff hanger. It teaches great life lessons and has more to offer than most young adult fiction these days. I can't wait for the next installment! ( )
  ladonna37 | Mar 31, 2012 |
To Simon Lipskar and Liesa Abrams, thanks for watching over Lyrian.
The Prince entered the room.

After Jason succeeds in finding a way back to Lyrian, he's immediately in more danger than ever. Meanwhile, Rachel and the others have made their own progress--as well as discovered new enemies. As the group ultimately rejoins, they strive to convince their most needed ally to join the war and form a rebellion strong enough to triumph against the emperor.… (more)

82 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible