Beyonders : Seeds of Rebellion by Brandon…

Beyonders : Seeds of Rebellion (edition 2012)

by Brandon Mull

Member:krau0098
Title:Beyonders : Seeds of Rebellion
Authors:Brandon Mull
Info:
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:adventure, fantasy, children's, magic, young adult, middle grade

Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion by Brandon Mull

Brandun Mull doesn't get enough credit.

A few weeks ago, I attended a forum at the Salt Lake CominCon FanXperience for authors Brandon Sanderson and Brandon Mull. Both are a local (to Utah) authors, both are BYU grads, both write fantasy, both are New York Times bestselling authors, and both are at about the same place in their careers.

And yet it was clear, in watching the Q&A, that while there are many similarities, each writes for a different fan base that has guided the kind of writing they produce. Where Sanderson's successful completion of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, as well as a fair measure of success in his own right, has brought him a substantial fan base among adults (I stood in line for the forum next to a couple women who had driven from California to get into a con where they could actually meet Sanderson, San Diego's ComiCon having gotten too large and difficult to get into), Mull's fan base is substantially younger and, I surmised as I listened to question after question aimed at Sanderson while Mull sat alongside him patiently, less likely to show up at a con.

To those fans, Mull is to Sanderson what minor league baseball is major league: a step within the genre from one level of depth to the next.

That step--from fantasy fiction designed for a young reader, more heavily weighted with archetypal characters, a more action driven plot, and focused on protagonists in their early teens--is why I think Mull does not get the credit he deserves. His readers are just discovering fantasy for the first time, and Mull knows exactly how to talk their language. He understands, to quote Neil Gaiman (who is summarizing G.K. Chesterton), that "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."

During the Salt Lake FanXperience forum with Sanderson, Mull was asked what he first read that got him into reading and into fantasy. Mull cited The Tales of Narnia, and indeed it is hard not to see C.S. Lewis in all Mull writes.

Lewis famously explained why he wrote fantasy for children when such might scare children. "Since it is so likely that they will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. . . Let there be wicked kings and beheadings, battles and dungeons, giants and dragons, and let villains be soundly killed at the end of the book.”

And Mull's stories are all about soundly killing the villain.

In [b:Seeds of Rebellion|11254850|Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)|Brandon Mull|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388247992s/11254850.jpg|16181497], Jason returns to Lyrian carrying information crucial to the cause of all who oppose Maldor's tyrannous reign. He is also looking for Rachel, the girl pulled from his world at the same time as him and from whom he became separated before being sent back to Earth surreptitiously. Jason wonders if he will be able find her, pass on the information before it is too late, and whether his role in the quest is over.

Meanwhile, on the run from Maldor's agents, Rachel finds new friends and new talents that will mark her as a powerful force in the fight for freedom. Together, Jason and Rachel and their allies will begin a quest to raise the free people of Lyrian against Maldor's growing reach. With hope growing dim, they will set out on a journey across lands wild and unknown to find the knowledge they need to raise a full scale rebellion.

[b:A World Without Heroes|8306745|A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)|Brandon Mull|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388338606s/8306745.jpg|13155786] introduced us to Lyrian; Seeds of Rebellion reveals how complex, diverse and, at least from Jason and Rachel's perspective, strange Lyrian really is. If Mull takes his lead from Lewis to craft a tale for adolescents, then he turns to Jonathan Swift's [b:Gulliver's Travels|7733|Gulliver's Travels|Jonathan Swift|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344534942s/7733.jpg|2394716] for creative inspiration for the peoples created by Lyrian's wizards. Each stage of the quest seems to pass through some land people that are anything but entirely human.

Mull's tale is exciting, archetypal, and hopeful. Aimed directly at young, growing adolescents and teens, it's an excellent selection for an afternoon under a tree during summer break. If you've not found Mull before, pick up the Beyonder's now, whether for your kids or to read to them, and don't be surprised if you find yourself enjoying it along with them. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 13, 2014 |
This is the second book in this trillogy. As in the other book this story begins in Vista, Colarodo. This time though Jason is reffing small leauge baseball. Through the hand that he had taken from a displacer in the misterious land of Lyrian he can comunicate by tracing on the palm and reciving signs of sign language. Then he gets swallowed by the hippo again and returns to Lyrian. Once there he goes through a forest inhabited by giants and figures out he is followed by a shadowy figure called a Lurker. This creature kills anyone who threatens it. Then he and his freind Galloran recrute allies, fight the worm infested corpses of Eborath and see and Oracle. All in the name of rebellion agenst the evil emporer.
This book was rich with ideas. The creatures and the magic is purely origonal. The writing though left room for improvement. I am not saying that I have done better, no not by a longshot, but I acpected more from a aclamed author such as Brandon Mull. With his recent Fablehaven serries gaining fame I expected more. This created some letdown. The writing was sloppy all in all. ( )
  Wfrost.b4 | May 30, 2014 |
3.5 stars
Originally posted at FanLit:

In the second BEYONDERS book, Seeds of Rebellion, Jason has made it back to his own world after attempting to destroy the emperor Maldor in Lyrian, the parallel universe he accidentally stumbled into after being swallowed by a hippopotamus at the zoo. Jason is unhappy at home because Rachel is still stuck in Lyrian and being hunted by the bad guys. After doing some research on the internet, he discovers that Rachel??s parents are desperately trying to find her, but Jason feels like he canƒ??t contact them or heƒ??ll be a suspect in the crime. Heƒ??s afraid to tell anyone about Lyrian ƒ?? people will just think heƒ??s crazy and he might be institutionalized. That would make it impossible for him to do what he really wants to do ƒ?? go back to Lyrian, let everyone know that the quest they were on is doomed, and tell Rachel how to get back to her parents. Meanwhile, he spends plenty of time exercising so that when he does get back, heƒ??ll be fit enough to face all the trials he knows are coming.

Eventually Jason does manage to return to Lyrian with the important news. Then he and Rachel help to muster up a small force that is willing to risk rebelling against the emperor. Thereƒ??s only a slight chance that they can succeed, but they have to take that chance. Thereƒ??s no way that Maldor is going to let Jason and Rachel get back home, and the people of Lyrian have lived too long under a tyrantƒ??s rule.

This time Jason meets some more of the weird mage-crafted races of Lyrian including a race of dwarves who turn into giants when the sun goes down. He explores secret tunnels, hears prophecies, loses his first sword fight, collects explosives, learns a lot about the history of Lyrian, eats some magic mushrooms, meets a beautiful princess, fights zombies, grows moss on his neck, and travels some harsh exotic terrain. Meanwhile, Rachel is beginning to acquire some magical talents of her own.

I mentioned in my review of the first BEYONDERS book, A World Without Heroes, that I appreciated Brandon Mullƒ??s subtle messages for children. He again does a good job with this, showing us, for example, the consequences of addiction; the necessity of being wary of someone who you know has betrayed others and being careful about who you can trust; the benefits of working as a team and being reliable when it comes to doing your part.

I particularly like how Mullƒ??s child heroes arenƒ??t doing everything themselves. Theyƒ??re working as small but significant parts of a team that is mostly adults. They ask smart questions, anticipate future problems, and contribute meaningfully while respecting the skills and wisdom of their adult companions.

Some of the plot of Seeds of Rebellion drags (thereƒ??s a lot of travelling) but young readers who enjoy spending time with Jason and Rachel probably wonƒ??t notice and will be anxious to move on to book 3, Chasing the Prophecy. This is a solid addition to the BEYONDERS series. I recommend the audio version narrated by Jeremy Bobb. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
It was a little slow at the beginning, but it definetely picked up! I loved the oracle scene! ( )
  BookZombies | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is the second book in the Beyonders trilogy. The third book will be titled Chasing the Prophecy and is scheduled for a March 2013 release. I had a lot of trouble reading this book. It is a decent story, but nowhere near the quality of Mull's Fablehaven series. I just couldn’t stay engaged with the story or the characters and this book was a struggle to get through.

Jason is itching to get back to Lyrian after being sent home at the end of the first book. When he gets there he runs around telling people that the Word did not work to destroy the evil wizard Maldor. Rachel meanwhile has meet up with a charm woman and is leaning more about how to use Words.

Seriously Jason runs around telling people the Word didn’t destroy Maldor for the first half of the book. Jason also gathers people together and journeys back to the Blind King. At this point we are over halfway through the book.

Eventually we track through the jungle, meet more Seed people, and go through a zombie infested wasteland. So there is a lot of adventuring and some fighting. I just felt like the pacing was way off and Jason didn't know his purpose or accomplish much for large portions of the book. I almost stopped reading halfway through because nothing was happening.

We do get to meet some excellent new characters. Jason is accompanied by a smuggler named Aram, who is half-giant, and we see a lot more of Ferrick and Ned (who is incredibly adept at poisons).

Rachel also learns to speak magic words and becomes a force to be reckoned with. I enjoyed Rachel's character growth and wish we had spend a lot more time hearing from her. Instead most of the book is told from Jason's POV and he just doesn't grow much or do anything all that interesting in this book.

While the book is decently written, I thought the pacing left a lot to be desired. I just found my mind wandering a lot and had a really tough time staying engaged in the story. There are so many characters in this book that we don’t get to know any of them really well, so that also makes it difficult to care about what’s happening.

Overall an okay addition to this series, but not great. I didn’t like the first book in this series a ton either. So, I guess if you were a huge fan of the first book in this series you will probably enjoy this one. I would definitely recommend reading Mull’s Fablehaven series over this one, in my opinion that is just a much more well written series. At this point I don’t think I will be reading the third book in this series. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 18, 2012 |
To Simon Lipskar and Liesa Abrams, thanks for watching over Lyrian.
The Prince entered the room.

After Jason succeeds in finding a way back to Lyrian, he's immediately in more danger than ever. Meanwhile, Rachel and the others have made their own progress--as well as discovered new enemies. As the group ultimately rejoins, they strive to convince their most needed ally to join the war and form a rebellion strong enough to triumph against the emperor.… (more)

82 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,370,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible