Haiku Mama: (because 17 syllables is all you…

Haiku Mama: (because 17 syllables is all you have time to read)

by Kari Anne Roy

I admit it. I am a WORD NERD. I have a little Moleskine notebook in which I have been writing Haiku off and on since 2010. When I received "Haiku Mama", I was thrilled!

A little book, able to read in one sitting, this one will make you laugh out loud and want to jot down a number of them. If you are a mom, regardless of the age of your child, these will resonate with you. A few of my favorites:

Can't remember keys,
lunch or where remote is, yet
Nemo? Memorized.

Toddler lexicon:
"Mommy, my butt is sneezing."
Translate that one fast.

Red leaves on the trees,
glitter poop in the diaper -
it's the holidays!

Page after page of these funny, clever and smart Haiku.

Highly recommended ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Haiku Mama by Kari Anne Roy is a slim volume of 17-syllable poems called haiku, which is a Japanese form of poetry. Rather than celebrate the joys and beauty of nature, these haiku celebrate the joys and frustrations of new motherhood.

These little poems not only will make mothers chuckle, but they also contain a bit of truth that will have them nodding “yes, yes, yes.”

The poems are cute, quick reads for busy moms and the book contains illustrations on a number of pages, though readers may wish for more apt illustrations considering some of the topics addressed in the haiku. For instance, one haiku discusses the typical technique of pretending the spoon or fork carrying the food is an airplane entering the hangar (aka the child’s mouth). An illustration of the airplane and hangar method and its food-splattering results would pack even more of a punch.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2011/04/haiku-mama-by-kari-anne-roy.html ( )
  sagustocox | May 12, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,393,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible