The Lost Years by Mary Higgins Clark

The Lost Years (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mary Higgins Clark

Member:Ruth72
Title:The Lost Years
Authors:Mary Higgins Clark
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*1/2
Tags:murder, mystery

The Lost Years by Mary Higgins Clark (Author) (2012)

English (8)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (11)
Thought this book was going to be about one thing and it turned out it wasn't. Don't be fooled by the jacket review. It's just a way to sell this story. It is NOT about a letter written by Christ to Joseph of Arimathea. It's about the murder of a man who may or may not have possessed the letter and it merely mentions the letter that may or may not exist. I don't even want to waste another second on this one. If you want a good murder mystery, move on. This is NOT it. ( )
  MaryEvelynLS | Jun 1, 2014 |
My only complaint about the book is that the four men who, at one point or another are "persons of interest" in the murder of their friend, are at times difficult to tell apart. Two of the men appear to be smitten with the victim's daughter, and she holds both of them at a distance, making the ending a tad bit unbelievable. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
Typical MHC fare. Quick and easy read. Nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable all the same. ( )
  CarmenTS | Sep 3, 2013 |
Biblical Professor Jonathan Lyons has discovered a parchment which he believes to be a letter written from Jesus to Joseph of Arimathea. However, before he can return to the parchment to the Vatican Library, he is murdered – shot dead in his own study. The Police believe that his wife Kathleen, who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease is responsible, as it was known that she was jealous about his affair with another woman. However, the couple’s daughter Mariah refuses to believe that this could be the case and sets out to find out the truth. Who would really want to kill Professor Lyons, and why? And where is the mysterious document that he talked about to his friends?

This is the first book I have read by Mary Higgins Clark, and will almost certainly be my last. It may not have been a good choice of hers to read (I have read reviews by fans of Higgins Clark, who have said that this is not one of her best), but it has pretty much put me off venturing further with her novels.

Don’t get me wrong – I actually quite enjoyed parts of it, and it’s certainly a book that doesn’t require too much thinking, but even while reading it, I found myself shaking my head and thinking what a load of hokum.

There was very little characterisation – there was nothing particularly distinctive about any of Richard’s close circle of friends, around whom much of the story revolves. The only characters who were quite distinctive were Mariah’s friends Alvirah and Willy – and frankly, Alvirah was a complete nightmare. I would imagine that she would be a neighbour from hell, going around recording people’s conversations on a brooch that was really a microphone, and sticking in her nose everywhere. (I can’t imagine that this was even remotely realistic; I am sure that the Police would have told her to stop interfering with their investigation, as she seemed to be doing more enquiry and investigation work than they were!) I am told that these characters have appeared in previous novels by this author, which is another reason no to read them.

So overall, while this was not a book I hated, I certainly couldn’t say that it was a good or believable read – I was unable to care about any of the characters, even remotely! Higgins Clark is a hugely popular author, and certainly doesn’t need my recommendation, which is fortunate, because I am not able to give it. ( )
  Ruth72 | Feb 27, 2013 |
Time for Mary Higgins Clark to stop writing. Her once unputadownable mysteries are nothing special. I feel like she has a formula and just plugs in some new details and creates a new novel. The Lost Years is a bit of this and a bit of that which amounts to zip, zero, nadda.

My once guilty pleasure read of a Mary Higgins Clark mystery has come to an end. I am certainly glad that I borrowed the past 2 from the library and next time I'll pass on that idea too. ( )
  Quiltinfun06 | Jun 16, 2012 |

Clark, Mary HigginsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seow, JackieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my dear brother-in-law and friend, Kenneth John Clark. Beloved husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, and "The Unc" to his devoted nieces and nephews. We love you deeply. Rest in peace.
In the hushed quiet as late shadows fell over the walls of the eternal city of Rome, an elderly monk, his shoulders bent, made his silent and unobtrusive way into the Biblioteca Secreta, one of the four rooms that comprised the Vatican Library.

In The Lost Years, Mary Higgins Clark, America’s Queen of Suspense, has written her most astonishing novel to date. At its center is a discovery that, if authenticated, may be the most revered document in human history—“the holiest of the holy”—and certainly the most coveted and valuable object in the world.
Biblical scholar Jonathan Lyons believes he has found the rarest of parchments—a letter that may have been written by Jesus Christ. Stolen from the Vatican Library in the 1500s, the letter was assumed to be lost forever.

Now, under the promise of secrecy, Jonathan is able to confirm his findings with several other experts. But he also confides in a family friend his suspicion that someone he once trusted wants to sell the parchment and cash in.

Within days Jonathan is found shot to death in his study. At the same time, his wife, Kathleen, who is suffering from Alzheimer’s, is found hiding in the study closet, incoherent and clutching the murder weapon. Even in her dementia, Kathleen has known that her husband was carrying on a long-term affair. Did Kathleen kill her husband in a jealous rage, as the police contend? Or is his death tied to the larger question: Who has possession of the priceless parchment that has now gone missing?

It is up to their daughter, twenty-eight-year-old Mariah, to clear her mother of murder charges and unravel the real mystery behind her father’s death. Mary Higgins Clark’s The Lost Years is at once a breathless murder mystery and a hunt for what may be the most precious religious and archaeological treasure of all time.

Mariah Lyons risks her life to solve the brutal murder of her father, Dr. Jonathan Lyons, a well-respected academic, who in a stroke of luck comes into the possession of an ancient and highly valuable parchment stolen from the Vatican in the 15th century.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible