The Fortress by Hugh Walpole

The Fortress (1932)

by Hugh Walpole

I have been working my way through this series of book The Rogue Herries Chronicles and am enjoying it so much. I look forward every day for my next update on the Herries family! The wealth of rich descriptive writing is wonderful, I feel I know this eccentric Cumbrian family and the surrounding countryside that they live in, very well indeed.
Judith is the Matriarch of the family, she is as free spirited as her "Rogue" father and gipsy mother, she has a temper you wouldn't want to mess with, but she has a heart of solid gold.
The Fortress is the story of the house built by Walter Herries (one half of the Herries family) who is a bitter enemy of Judith and her beloved uncle Francis and his family. She will fight tooth and nail to ensure they are left in peace. She is fast approaching her 100th birthday but still she fights on!
I love it love it, love it, maybe Hugh Walpole could be considered a little fusty by some of our modern day writters, but by gum, he can write a good story! ( )
  Glorybe1 | Apr 9, 2013 |
Thy gentlest dreams, thy frailest,
Even those that were
Born and lost in a heart-beat,
Shall meet thee there.
They are become immortal
In shining air.

The unattainable beauty,
The thought of which was pain,
That flickered in eyes and on lips
And vanished again;
That fugitive beauty
Thou shalt attain.

Those lights innumerable
That led thee on and on,
The masque of time ended,
Shall glow into one.
They shall be with thee for ever,
Thy travel done.

A.E.
For my friends
GERTRUDE and MUIRHEAD BONE
"All is well," Judith said quietly, coming forward and stroking the red apples of the sofa.

Judith Paris, now middle aged, returns to the Lakes to deal with the bitter feud between two branches of the family, in the third of Walpole's 'The Herries Chronicle'.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible