Ronnie: The Autobiography of Ronnie…

Ronnie: The Autobiography of Ronnie O'Sullivan (2003)

by Ronnie O'Sullivan

I enjoy watching Ronnie play snooker and thought I might enjoy his book. But I found it a bit disappointing.

Firstly, this is his second autobiography and I think it assumes you have read the first one, which I haven't. There are references to his earlier life, but only in the context of its effect on events of 2012-2013.

Secondly, there are quite a few factual errors and plain typographic errors in the book. That doesn't inspire confidence in the accuracy of any of the previously non-public information.

Thirdly, the book rambles and bounces around. There is repetition and contradiction. I guess the intention is to make it feel like Ronnie is really telling this story to you personally... but it doesn't quite work for me.

Overall this is an easy read. But it lacks the insights into Ronnie's life that I'd hoped for; and it isn't totally believable. I think a proper biography written long after Ronnie's snooker career is over is worth waiting for. ( )
  richardtaylor | Jan 3, 2014 |
A very forward look into the life of one of the greatest ever snooker players. This book tells everything from his early life, his family relations and his fathers imprisonment to the problems with alcohol and depression. The very honest tale is also filled with anecdotes from the snooker circuit and personal descriptions of some of the other mayor players making it an essential book for any fan of snooker. ( )
  jesandersen | Apr 9, 2008 |
For Mum and Dad
Danny, dickie and Mickey O'Sullivan were three brothers, known as the Fighting O'Sullivans. They were famous in their day. Mickey is my granddad.

Ronnie O'Sullivan's supreme talent and style have made him Britain's best-loved snooker champion. At 17, he became the youngest winner of a world-ranking tournament, and in 2001 he confirmed his legendary status by winning the Embassy World Title. His autobiography details more than the sporting triumphs of a man the BBC speculates "could become the world's greatest ever." It also tells of the boy who was introduced to legendary snooker clubs at an impossibly early age, of the teenager whose life was decimated when his father and mentor was sent to prison for life, and of the man dubbed the "genius" of the modern game who regularly threatens to quit the sport to pursue other interests.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

Ronnie O'Sullivan reflects on how much of his life has been spent running away or running towards (often inadvisable) things. When he was young, snooker was a way of running away from school and the expectations of childhood.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,089,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible