The Gold Cadillac by Mildred D. Taylor

The Gold Cadillac

by Mildred D. Taylor

The friendship [by] Mildred D. Taylor: A study guide (Novel-ties) by Estelle Kleinman (janique)
    janique: If you like car such a cadillac you will like this book

This book tells a story about a family from Ohio whose father buys a brand new gold Cadillac. With the exception of the mom, everyone in the family (and neighborhood) is envious of his new car. This story touches on the issue of racism, when the family travels down to rural Mississippi. At one point the father is pulled over for having such as nice car. Seeing that life is still very different in the south, the family is forced to overcome this obstacle and return home. In the end, the family learns a major lesson about unity. The real resolution of the story does not occur until the family returns to Ohio and their normal life. ( )
  ReplayGuy | Apr 23, 2012 |
In The Gold Cadillac a father buys a new shiny gold Cadillac. His daughters are so excited to see the new car and cannot understand why their mother is so unhappy about their father’s purchase. After an unpleasant trip to the south the girls learn why their mother was so unhappy.

I originally read this story when I was in the third grade. As a child I was amazed of how people could treat one another so cruelly. The story still has an impact on me and I am glad that we live in today has less prejudice

This book would be a good way to introduce discrimination and teach that differences make us unique and we should love one another for them. Also, this book would tie in well with a history lesson over the Civil Rights Movement. ( )
  sarah-prebble | Mar 27, 2011 |
This is a story of a black family living in the north who bought a gold Cadillac thay they were very proud of until they take a drive to the South and encounter racial prejudice. When the family drives back home, they sell the Cadillac and buy a different car.

i enjoyed reading this story and think children will enjoy this book. I thought how awful this can be knowing that ther is racial prejudice still happening today. Even though it is nothing like this story we still have it amoung us.

I would use this book in the classroom to teach students how wrong racial prejudice is. I would have the students write a paragraph on a racist act that happened in the story and compare it to another racist act that happened in our history. ( )
  ShalynAdams | Jul 18, 2010 |
"The Gold Cadillac" is by the author who became famous for her stories of the Logan family ("Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry", "Let The Circle Be Unbroken" and more), but it isn't actually about the Logan family (unless I'm missing something -- it takes place in the 1950s, so these could be Logan family grandkids). Instead, it's about a family from Ohio whose father buys a gold Cadillac and then decides he wants to drive it back to his home in Mississippi. In the 1950s, this makes everybody in the family nervous, and for good reason. Like most of Taylor's work, this is a story that doesn't pull its punches. ( )
  ovistine | Nov 9, 2008 |
From School Library Journal
Grade 2-3 In this quiet story, `lois explains a child's perspective of her fears when she, her sister Wilma, and their parents drive from Ohio to visit relatives in Mississippi in 1950. When `lois' father buys a new gold Cadillac, his wife refuses to ride in ituntil he declares his intentions to visit his parents in the South. Then the whole family goes, caravan style, for it's ``a mighty dangerous thing, for a black man to drive an expensive car into the rural South.'' `lois and Wilma are disquieted by the increasing appearance of ``white only, colored not allowed'' signs as they drive further south. After white policemen humiliate and arrest their father, they do visit their grandparents, but the trip results in their father giving up the car when they return home, realizing that it was pulling the family apart. Full-page sepia paintings effectively portray the characters, setting, and mood of the story events as Hays ably demonstrates his understanding of the social and emotional environments which existed for blacks during this period. `lois' first-person narrative allows readers to understand the youthful perspective on the dehumanizing intentions of racism. Clear language and logical, dramatic sequencing of story events make this story bittersweet for adult readers but important for the social development of beginning readers. Helen E. Williams, University of Maryland, College Park
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.
  Raylee | May 29, 2007 |

Lois and Wilma are proud of their father's brand-new gold Cadillac, and excited that the family will be driving it all the way from Ohio to Mississippi. But as they travel deeper into the rural South, there are no admiring glances for the shiny new car; only suspicion and anger for the black man behind the wheel. For the first time in their lives, Lois and her sister know what it's like to feel scared because of the color of their skin. A personal, poignant look at a black child's first experience with institutional racism. --The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:33 -0400)

Two black girls living in the North are proud of their family's beautiful new Cadillac until they take it on a visit to the South and encounter racial prejudice for the first time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,689,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible