The Expats by Chris Pavone

The Expats (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Chris Pavone

Member:mlee.write
Title:The Expats
Authors:Chris Pavone
Info:Faber & Faber (2012), Edition: Export - Airside ed, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***

The Expats by Chris Pavone (2012)

I'll post a longer review later, but the short version is: great plot! It intrigued me enough to stay up 'till all hours, finishing it in a day. ( )
1 vote LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the back and forth, even though it was a little startling every time the time jumped into the past---but you needed it for all of the twists and turns of this adventure. I'm looking forward to reading his other books. ( )
1 vote nyiper | Oct 12, 2018 |
I picked up the book cause I found the premise very intriguing but a hundred pages into it, i just couldnt muster the perseverence to get through it.

A desperate attempt to build the spy story and yet fails to hold interest. ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, and liked the idea of a woman who was a former spy for the CIA and now married with children. This book had a lot of interesting 'cliffhangers' at the end of chapters that didn't get resolved until later in the book. Sometimes it was hard to put down because I wanted to see what that 'thought' was about. What I mean by that is the author would tease the reader with a one sentence jump to the future which kept me wondering what it meant.

The big downfall of the book was the back and forth between current day and the past. It got confusing, even though the book had different fonts to indicate current day (even day and time) it was the point in times of the past that had me wondering when this event was happening.

If you can get past that one downfall....it was a very good book and I would like to read future books by this author.

Also, good book for a book club to discuss if you would make the same choices as Kate. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
I read this book for my Endless (indeed) European Challenge which I started in 2010. It's set in Luxemburg which is a rare book-setting. I liked this book because it mixed espionage with suspense and the outcome was quite unpredictable. In fact, it switched back and forth quite a bit and it might have continued for another few rounds. It is not the Best Literature I've read but apart from finally filling a gap on my list of countries (leaving me with countries like San Marino, Montenegro and Croatia,...), I spent a very enjoyable few hours with this book. Recommended if you like a quick, suspenseful read. ( )
  MGovers | Mar 15, 2018 |
What would happen to an expert CIA agent, 15 years in the job, who gives it all up to be a stay-at-home mum, exchanging assassinations and double-dealing for playdates, coffee mornings and tennis lessons? That's the reality of life for Kate Moore in Chris Pavone's debut, after her computer-geek husband Dexter accepts a job in Luxembourg and she decides that family is more important than work.

As Dexter works all hours at his mysterious new job in banking, she makes friends with other mothers, joins the American Women's Club of Luxembourg and meets an American couple, Julia and Bill Maclean. But Kate is bored – intensely, dangerously bored. So when she decides there's something off about the Macleans, she begins to investigate.

Tension builds, notch by notch, as Kate uncovers deception buried beneath deception, lies inside lies. Nothing, even her family, is what it seems, and she is terrified that her own dirty past as a CIA operative is catching up with her.

Pavone, a former book publishing editor who lived in Luxembourg for two years with his family, has created a startlingly real heroine in Kate. She's a former spy with a talent for languages and maps, hand-to-hand combat and guns; an expert assassin, cold enough and capable enough to kill. But Kate is no cipher: she's also a fiercely loving mother and a wife who has kept her past secret from her husband all these years. And she's terrified when her two worlds start to collide.

Expertly and intricately plotted, with a story spiralling into disaster and a satisfyingly huge amount of double crossing, The Expats certainly doesn't feel like a first novel. This is an impressively assured entry to the thriller scene.
added by VivienneR | editThe Guardian, Alison Flood (Mar 11, 2012)

Kate Moore is the kind of woman who can kill, and who has killed, in-between being a mother to her two small sons and a wife to her rather nondescript husband, Dexter. Only one killing seems to haunt her, but she has been well trained to control her emotions.

When Kate relocates with her family to Luxemburg because of Dexter’s new and amorphous banking job, she also makes a major change in her own professional life. She has never told Dexter that she worked for 15 years as an operations officer for the CIA. Nor did she tell him that the job involved shooting people. She ostensibly cuts all ties with the agency although there are a few loopholes she can climb back thtough, as one might expect.

But the move to Luxembourg is not what she expected. She finds it boring to be plunged into domesticity, cooking, scrubbing and babysitting her two small sons. What she does find surprising is that she becomes more than curious about the new job of the previously predictable Dexter. He is so mysterious about his work and what it involves that it rouses her suspicion, a situation in which Kate presumably sees the irony that he might be involved in intelligence work.

As in most espionage mysteries, nothing is what it seems.
added by VivienneR | editWashington Times, Simon Lelic

Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
The one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties. – Oscar Wilde
To my little ex-expats, Sam and Alex
"Kate?"
Kate couldn't read the look on Julia's face. Couldn't determine what level of truth, or what depth of continued deception, they were agreeing to stand on, here in the middle of this crowded party. Honesty is a consensual continuum.

"An international spy thriller about a former CIA agent who moves with her family to Luxembourg where everything is suspicious and nothing is as it seems"--

Chris Pavone is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,670,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible