So Far Away by Meg Mitchell Moore

So Far Away

by Meg Mitchell Moore

Better than average dual storyline novel; unusual for me in that I was actually more captivated by the present day story than the historical fiction aspect. The best part of this book is kinda the cover... ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Well, I was listening to So Far Away by Meg Moore. I had gotten it from the library via Overdrive on my phone. The premise interested me because it involved an archivist and genealogy but I hate to say I found it rather boring. Nothing seems to happen but the archivist and the teenage girl she is helping complaining about their admittedly bad situations. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
The slow pace and effortless flow drew me into the story and unfolded the characters lives and personalities bit by bit while also entwining them all together. Overall enjoyable read, nothing outstanding one way or another but definitely a story you can relax with. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  a.happy.booker | Sep 24, 2013 |

Thirteen-year-old Natalie Gallagher is trying to escape: from her parents' ugly divorce, and from the vicious cyber-bullying of her former best friend. Adrift, confused, she is a girl trying to find her way in a world that seems to either neglect or despise her. Her salvation arrives in an unlikely form: Bridget O'Connell, an Irish maid working for a wealthy Boston family. The catch? Bridget lives only in the pages of a dusty old 1920s diary Natalie unearthed in her mother's basement. But the life she describes is as troubling - and mysterious - as the one Natalie is trying to navigate herself, almost a century later.

I am writing this down because this is my story. There were only ever two people who knew my secret, and both are gone before me.

Who was Bridget, and what became of her?

Natalie escapes into the diary, eager to unlock its secrets, and reluctantly accepts the help of library archivist Kathleen Lynch, a widow with her own painful secret: she's estranged from her only daughter. Kathleen sees in Natalie traces of the daughter she has lost, and in Bridget, another spirited young woman at risk.

What could an Irish immigrant domestic servant from the 1920s teach them both? As the troubles of a very modern world close in around them, and Natalie's torments at school escalate, the faded pages of Bridget's journal unite the lonely girl and the unhappy widow - and might even change their lives forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Desperate to escape her parents' ugly divorce and a former best friend's vicious cyber-bullying, thirteen-year-old Natalie bonds with widowed librarian Kathleen over the diary of an early twentieth-century Boston maid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,336,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible