Savage Planet (Saucer, #3)

Savage Planet (Saucer, #3)

Member:TromboneAl
Title:Savage Planet (Saucer, #3)
Authors:
Info:Publisher Unknown, 336 pages
Tags:library-book, abandoned

Saucer: Savage Planet by Stephen Coonts

I wasn't sure what to make of this book at first. It was kind of funny because the characters, events, and science were so simplistic, often absurd...but I wasn't sure if this was intentional. Was it comic science fiction, or was it bad pulp science fiction? I finally concluded it must be the former, but it could have been funnier. It has its moments, but it lacks the kind of intelligent wit or insightful social commentary that marks a great work of comic sci-fi.

The story is about the recovery of an ancient flying saucer, its theft by an alien who has been stranded on Earth for over one thousand years, and his friendship with a small cast of characters who are willing to help him phone home and get rescued. It's written in third person and from multiple points of view, including those of the antagonists, a pair of unscrupulous drug company CEOs who want to capitalize on the information they believe they can extract from the saucer's computers or from the alien's DNA. You never spend enough time with any one particular character to really get to know them well, and all seem to lack depth.

That said, if you can tolerate the bad science, it's a passable afternoon read. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Saucer: Savage Planet by Stephen Coonts concludes the series originally began with Saucer (2003) and Saucer: The Conquest (2006) and is recommended for those who need closure.

Rip Cantrell, discovers a flying saucer buried in the Sahara desert with help from Charlotte Pine and his uncle Arthur “Egg” Cantrell. Only a year later a second saucer is discovered buried in the Great Barrier Reef. Pharmaceutical baron Harrison Douglas is behind the funding for the recovery efforts because he believes he can reap financial gain from products made based on the alien science. Douglas gets a hold of the Roswell saucer which was originally at Area 51. Then Adam Solo, a technician who is actually an alien-in hiding and working for Douglas, steals the saucer.
Solo hopes to find a way to call for help but with the communications device damaged, he connects with Rip and the gang hoping the saucer he found can help him get home. In the meantime everyone is after them.

Those who read and enjoyed the previous two books may want to pick up this third installment just for the conclusion of the series. It's an easy read and the pace is fast enough to keep you entertained. While this final book was the weakest of the three, it is fun escapism. For me this is an airplane book - certainly worth reading but I wouldn't pull my hair out in grief if I misplaced my copy in my travels. I do like the closure, though it was a long time coming...

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of St. Martin's Press via Netgalley for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I am always in the mood for a good sci-fi book. Sadly, I did not find that in this book. Although I would not classify this book as just sci-fi. It also has the makings of a good thriller story. Yet, I found nothing interesting about the story or the characters. Maybe if I had read the first book I would have developed that character background and relationship better. What my problem was with this book is that a lot of the times the conversations between the characters did not seem to go anywhere. When I can't get into the story and get a good image of what the world and people look like then the conversations are just talking. However I am thinking that I might feel a little differently about this book had I listened to the audio version as there was a little glimmer of hope in the story that I could have gotten into if again I had felt a stronger character connection. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 6, 2016 |
This action-scifi book is a comment on society and heavily laden with tongue-in-cheek. Coonts uses the story to explore consequences of new advanced technology in a society. He does ask the question what would happen to the economy if people could live for a 1000 years? However, the Petty Officer adviser (man on the street) to the POTUS is a bit over the top. Also, I don't believe that he deals with first contact very well--a White House reception? Give me a break. Maybe I missed the humor in that one.:-) ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 18, 2015 |
Saucer Savage Planet is continuation of Stephen Coonts Saucer series. It revolves around a UFO with advanced alien tech that is found in the Libyan desert and is affect on the main characters and their greater world. Out of all the books in his series it's the longest and the weakest. Where the prior books had action or humor going for them, this story aims at and fails to hit the target of political commentary. To his credit Coonts does use the story to look at consequences that the sudden introduction of new advanced technology creates in a society. He does ask the question what would happen to the economy if people could live for a 1000 years? Yet Coonts does a worse job when he tries to contrast homespun common sense versus Washington political savvy . The attempt comes across ham handed and preachy. Coonts does add new characters, introduces new dimensions to his existing characters, and finally gives a voice and face to the alien’s who built the saucer. This is done to set the reader up for the next as yet untitled next book in the series. This review is harsh because Stephen Coonts is a better writer than is shown this book. It is a fun read suitable for most readers. It could have been so much more. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |

"Aliens are coming! A year after young engineering student Rip Cantrell discovered the first flying saucer buried deep in the sands of the Sahara, another saucer is brought up from the bottom of the Atlantic. The recovery is funded by a pharmaceutical executive who believes that the saucer holds the key to an anti-aging drug formula that space travelers would need to voyage between galaxies. But one of his technicians, Adam Solo, an alien marooned on Earth for a thousand years, steals the saucer, hoping to summon a starship to rescue him. Unfortunately, the stolen saucer has damaged communications gear. Solo goes to Rip Cantrell and his partner, ex-Air Force test pilot Charlotte 'Charley' Pine, and Rip's uncle Egg, for help in summoning a starship. Meanwhile, as a terrified world fearful of space invaders approaches meltdown, big pharma moguls and their thugs are hot on the trail of the foursome. In a world turned upside down, it may be the arriving aliens who offer limitless possibilities. Rip and Charley face an incredible decision: Do they dare leave the safety of earth to travel into the great wilderness of the universe? Full of UFO's, futuristic technology, edge-of-your-seat flying scenes and unforgettable characters, human and otherwise, Stephen Coonts' Savage Planet is classic storytelling at its best. and pure, unadulterated fun"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,918,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible