Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

3333233,108 (4)77
Member:CegeSmith
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:

Wool by Hugh Howey (2011)

Recently added byjason.rathburn, Septima, scotchtape, u2guru, Jacob_Vaz, private library, lisa.isselee, Judahivy

The first chapter of this book did it for me. That bit just pulled me in and kept me reading because there had to be something spectacular following that first chapter.
The few chapter that followed were a bit slow, but the change in main character throughout the book kept it interesting and when I neared the middle of this book I was glued to the page.
Some of the things that happened were a little predictable but that didn't degrade the story whatsoever.
This book was thrilling, mysterious and gave me goosebumps.
I can't wait to read the sequels ! ( )
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
Reads like a mixture of [b:Across the Universe|8235178|Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)|Beth Revis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1301828495s/8235178.jpg|13082532], The Matrix and The Twilight Zone.

Seeing is believing, right? But what if what you see and experience isn't real but lies? You've been told the world outside is toxic. The cameras show a sick brown and grey wasteland though the old books show it should be green and blue. Criminals and volunteers are forced outside to clean the cameras before they succumb to the poisonous atmosphere. Three years earlier Sheriff Holston's wife volunteered believing they'd all been fed lies and the life they're living isn't real, that she won't die once outside and promised to come back for her husband. He's tired of waiting for her, he's decided it's time to take the ultimate risk... ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
A great start to Hugh Howey's Wool. I read this as part of the Wool book (the full Wool collection in one). This first one gets you hooked and was a great way to introduce the reader to the silo in which a group of individuals are confined.

I won't mention details as I hate spoilers. However this had me convinced of one thing and then had my mind spinning back and forth with possibilities. ( )
  Pinniped23 | Sep 19, 2014 |
This story explores alienation and falsehoods in an institutional society, one that has adjusted itself to surviving in a buried underground silo. Holston embarks on a terrifying quest, following the death of his wife, Allison. He wants to believe that she has found a way out of the labyrinths of bureaucracy. He hopes for a mystical transformation, an insight about his existence. I was drawn in from the first sentence: “Holston climbed to his death while children were playing.”

Despite the warmth and love between them, Holston stands on the side of the law, at least initially, while Allison is a rebel, a free thinker. She wanders, what is the nature of the world outside the silo? Confined inside, people are forced to trust the view coming through blurry lenses. They are told a version of history, parts of which have been blanked out. They are brought up to adhere to rules, strict rules that preserve a possibly altered perception of the outside world,

“Holston turned back to survey the muddy, lifeless landscape. It only looked depressing compared to sense from the children books—the only books to survive the uprising. Most people doubted those colors in the books.” These lenses must be cleaned by those sentenced to death, and they are prepared for the cleaning process with meticulous instructions, and with a protective ‘space suit’ and a special visor, which may or may not give the one wearing it an altered perception.

“Nothing you see is real,” Allison claimed, during her last hour. “There could be people outside… They could be watching us.” After her death, Holstone undergoes a change. “”He’d spent the first anniversary of her death scrubbing the holding cel clean, washing the yellow airlock door, straining for some sound, some knock, that the ghost of his wife was back to set him free.”

Is there a difference between the perception of this confined society, and truth? Would you dare break the boundaries and find out, at the risk of losing your life?

Five stars. ( )
  Uvi_Poznansky | Aug 28, 2014 |
This is a great short story; perfect to kick off the series.

Meet the residents of the Silo, an underground structure built to protect its residents from a toxic outside world. Life in the silo runs smoothly, dictated by exacting rules and codes of conduct. Howey spins his tale with ease and the writing style sucks you in completely. If you can, get the omnibus edition because once you start reading, you won't want to put the book down.

I highly recommend you read this as a part of the omnibus edition because you're going to want to know more. ( )
  divanina | Jun 28, 2014 |

Is contained in

The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,389,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible