Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

Member:CegeSmith
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace (2011), Paperback, 56 pages

Wool [short story] by Hugh Howey (2011)

Very nice novella, because that's what I would call this rather than a short or long story. A not so uncommon theme of apocalyptic future confined with limited resources, but definitely a very good twist in the end - leaves a whole range of possibilities open for the reader to ponder upon. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
Description: Thousands of them have lived underground. They've lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside.

Or you'll get what you wish for.

Thoughts: I downloaded this ages and ages ago because people were talking about it and it was free. That was about all I knew. I don't typically go in for short stories all that much, but free is nice so whatever.

But HOLY HELL! It sure packed a lot of interesting stuff into a tiny little package. I can't wait to see where this goes in the other parts. I just went ahead and bought the omnibus for Kindle, but I'll continue to "review" them (because this was a terrible review) as individuals.

Rating: 4.2

Liked: 4.5
Plot: 4
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 4.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/149560#3930353 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 17, 2015 |
The first chapter of this book did it for me. That bit just pulled me in and kept me reading because there had to be something spectacular following that first chapter.
The few chapter that followed were a bit slow, but the change in main character throughout the book kept it interesting and when I neared the middle of this book I was glued to the page.
Some of the things that happened were a little predictable but that didn't degrade the story whatsoever.
This book was thrilling, mysterious and gave me goosebumps.
I can't wait to read the sequels ! ( )
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
Reads like a mixture of [b:Across the Universe|8235178|Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)|Beth Revis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1301828495s/8235178.jpg|13082532], The Matrix and The Twilight Zone.

Seeing is believing, right? But what if what you see and experience isn't real but lies? You've been told the world outside is toxic. The cameras show a sick brown and grey wasteland though the old books show it should be green and blue. Criminals and volunteers are forced outside to clean the cameras before they succumb to the poisonous atmosphere. Three years earlier Sheriff Holston's wife volunteered believing they'd all been fed lies and the life they're living isn't real, that she won't die once outside and promised to come back for her husband. He's tired of waiting for her, he's decided it's time to take the ultimate risk... ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
A great start to Hugh Howey's Wool. I read this as part of the Wool book (the full Wool collection in one). This first one gets you hooked and was a great way to introduce the reader to the silo in which a group of individuals are confined.

I won't mention details as I hate spoilers. However this had me convinced of one thing and then had my mind spinning back and forth with possibilities. ( )
  Pinniped23 | Sep 19, 2014 |

Is contained in

The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible