Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

Member:teresa1953
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 56 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Advance Proof Review for Amazon Vine

Wool [short story] by Hugh Howey (2011)

English (39)  Danish (1)  All languages (40)
So maybe a year or two ago, everyone was reading Wool. I was not one of them. Don't get me wrong. I heard the hype. I downloaded the free copy. Then it sat in the Kindle abyss until I was going through books I'd downloaded but never read. Oops.

The summary I had was, for some reason, in Finnish, so I didn't really know what I was getting into. Being that it's such a short book (only 56 pages), I didn't want to look too far into what the story was about for fear of spoiling the whole thing. I was a little confused by the first few pages, but that was quickly resolved.

Holston is sheriff. He lives in your run-of-the-mill, underground, post-apocalyptic compound, the silo. Nobody really knows what's going on, why they're buried and hidden. Surprisingly, nobody questions it, either. The government controls everything, from who is allowed to have children to the images of the outside, the surface, that are piped inside. Understandably, people get a little stir-crazy sometimes. Those people are sent outside to clean the little cameras that serve as windows to the outside. They never come back. The toxic atmosphere kills them within minutes.

Three years ago, Holston's wife stumbled across some information. She learned that nothing could be as it appeared. She wanted out. She wanted to find the truth. She got her wish, because all it takes in the silo to be sent outside is five words - I want to go out. That one simple sentence ensures that rebels are disposed of quickly. That uprisings are prevented. Just say the word, and your wish is granted. There's no taking it back.

Three years later, Holston follows in his wife's footsteps. What he discovers is completely unexpected.

If you took a look at my bookshelf, you'd instantly know that I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels. Give me a book full of futuristic government conspiracies and a little underground rebellion and I'll be all over it. Because of that, Wool was right up my alley. I'm looking forward to reading the next four installments. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
It’s likely that I would’ve read ‘Wool’ some time ago, but for a brain glitch. I had it confused with another novel in a dystopic series, named after a product commonly made out of wool. I’d attended a reading of this other work, wasn’t enthralled… got confused and kinda wrote this off.
I’m really, really glad I managed to get my threads untangled here.
As many people are aware, the ‘Wool’ saga began with this eponymous short story. It was popular enough to inspire the author to keep going with the world. And I can see why: it takes a somewhat-familiar post-apocalyptic trope and creates a fresh, gripping and horrific story, with some twists the reader can be blindsided by. For hundreds of years, people have lived in the Silo – a huge, self-contained bunker. Life is stable, and people are mostly content – because it’s all they’ve ever known. Rules are strict – and one of the most strictly enforced is the one that states that is anyone wants out; “out” is exactly what they get. And going outside is certain death. This first part is self-contained, from a narrative perspective – and good enough that it got me to overshoot my subway stop on my way to work. That’s high praise.

Highly recommended for all fans of dystopic and post-apocalyptic literature.
I’ll definitely be reading the next installment, and I’ve also picked up a couple of the stories written in Howey’s world by other authors.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I had high expectations for this book because I read some of the reviews and how amazing it was. It wasn't a bad story by any means, I did enjoy it, I just don't think I'll read the rest of the story. It didn't keep me wanting more. However, I am glad I read it and I do think it does deserve praise, it just wasn't for me. 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
I just reviewed the Wool Omnibus of which this novella is the first part, so I thought I'd leave the section of that review that deals with this novella here.

Wool is set (I believe) in the near future, the year in relation to our calendar is not indicated but there is no weird far future tech to speak of and people’s names are the same as the common names today (Peter, Bernard etc.). The post-apocalypse and dystopian subgenre of sf is often mixed up by online list makers but the world of the Silo series is clearly both. After an apocalypse (unexplained in this book), humans live in a dystopian society, sealed in subterranean silos, under the control of a shadowy authoritarian government. The open air in the world outside is poisonous and the world is inhabitable, except inside the silos’ sealed environment.

I imagine most struggling self published authors would like to follow the trail blazed by Hugh Howey. He hit the ground running with the novella [b:Wool|12287209|Wool (Wool, #1)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889474s/12287209.jpg|17263666] which is now available as a free e-book. I can highly recommend this without reservation as it is free and very good. It is also very astute marketing as most people who read it are likely to want to know what happen next, even though it is not have a cliffhanger ending as such. I think as a standalone short story (or novella) novella [b:Wool|12287209|Wool (Wool, #1)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889474s/12287209.jpg|17263666] works very well, the surprise at the end is just the sort of thing people love in short stories. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
Life has been busy and that has taken a toll on my precious reading time. Given my aging synapses, I decided to start reading - from the beginning - rather than pick it up where I left off.

Because I don't, as a rule, read reviews prior to reading a book, I had no idea that Hugh Howey's Wool, #1 is , basically, a novella. When I reached the end of Chapter 7, I honestly thought my Kindle was malfunctioning! I can't tell you how many times I *swiped" to turn to the, non-existent!, next page!

Did Wool, #1 pique my interest? You betcha! I can hardly wait to delve into Wool, #2!

Now, here's the skinny . . I'm a member, in excellent standing I might add, of my local library. As a low-income disabled senior citizen, I utilize the services of the North Olympic Library System (Clallam County, Washington) as often as possible. NOLS has a great group of folks working to serve the reading public AND they have LOT of books . . go figure! I was so looking forward to finding the entire Wool series patiently waiting, on a library shelf, once I'd finished Wool, #1 - which was a free Kindle Daily Deal and (as intended) whetted my appetite for more, More, MORE!

I don't know why NOLS doesn't carry the Wool series! I finished the book shortly before midnight (on a holiday) so I've made a note to call, tomorrow, and see if there is anything I can do to help the "Wool-gathering" process along!!

I know, I know . . this isn't a typical book review! My five-star rating tells the story (without a single spoiler)! I enjoyed every moment of the short introduction to the series and I'm looking forward to reading the rest; I don't know what more I can say other than, "Let me know how you love it!" :) ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |

Hugh Howeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broxton, JimmyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, JustinAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Howey, HughOriginal Storymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cooke, DarwynCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,268,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible