Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

Member:teresa1953
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 56 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Advance Proof Review for Amazon Vine

Wool [short story] by Hugh Howey (2011)

English (42)  Danish (1)  All languages (43)
I was confused as to what was really going on for parts of this book, but once it all came together I was enthralled. The world these people live in must be so confining. I can't imagine what it would be like to live that way and then to doubt the way you've been raised and taught is the only way. The ending was very sad and abrupt and I'm looking forward to moving on to the next book in the series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I had high expectations for this book because I read some of the reviews and how amazing it was. It wasn't a bad story by any means, I did enjoy it, I just don't think I'll read the rest of the story. It didn't keep me wanting more. However, I am glad I read it and I do think it does deserve praise, it just wasn't for me. 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Mar 21, 2016 |
Good, fast read.
  seschanfield | Mar 7, 2016 |
This was a sci-fi short story. It was not good enough to lead me to read the rest of the Wool series. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
So maybe a year or two ago, everyone was reading Wool. I was not one of them. Don't get me wrong. I heard the hype. I downloaded the free copy. Then it sat in the Kindle abyss until I was going through books I'd downloaded but never read. Oops.

The summary I had was, for some reason, in Finnish, so I didn't really know what I was getting into. Being that it's such a short book (only 56 pages), I didn't want to look too far into what the story was about for fear of spoiling the whole thing. I was a little confused by the first few pages, but that was quickly resolved.

Holston is sheriff. He lives in your run-of-the-mill, underground, post-apocalyptic compound, the silo. Nobody really knows what's going on, why they're buried and hidden. Surprisingly, nobody questions it, either. The government controls everything, from who is allowed to have children to the images of the outside, the surface, that are piped inside. Understandably, people get a little stir-crazy sometimes. Those people are sent outside to clean the little cameras that serve as windows to the outside. They never come back. The toxic atmosphere kills them within minutes.

Three years ago, Holston's wife stumbled across some information. She learned that nothing could be as it appeared. She wanted out. She wanted to find the truth. She got her wish, because all it takes in the silo to be sent outside is five words - I want to go out. That one simple sentence ensures that rebels are disposed of quickly. That uprisings are prevented. Just say the word, and your wish is granted. There's no taking it back.

Three years later, Holston follows in his wife's footsteps. What he discovers is completely unexpected.

If you took a look at my bookshelf, you'd instantly know that I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels. Give me a book full of futuristic government conspiracies and a little underground rebellion and I'll be all over it. Because of that, Wool was right up my alley. I'm looking forward to reading the next four installments. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

Hugh Howeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broxton, JimmyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, JustinAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Howey, HughOriginal Storymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cooke, DarwynCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,265,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible