Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

Member:teresa1953
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 56 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Advance Proof Review for Amazon Vine

Wool by Hugh Howey (2011)

This story explores alienation and falsehoods in an institutional society, one that has adjusted itself to surviving in a buried underground silo. Holston embarks on a terrifying quest, following the death of his wife, Allison. He wants to believe that she has found a way out of the labyrinths of bureaucracy. He hopes for a mystical transformation, an insight about his existence. I was drawn in from the first sentence: “Holston climbed to his death while children were playing.”

Despite the warmth and love between them, Holston stands on the side of the law, at least initially, while Allison is a rebel, a free thinker. She wanders, what is the nature of the world outside the silo? Confined inside, people are forced to trust the view coming through blurry lenses. They are told a version of history, parts of which have been blanked out. They are brought up to adhere to rules, strict rules that preserve a possibly altered perception of the outside world,

“Holston turned back to survey the muddy, lifeless landscape. It only looked depressing compared to sense from the children books—the only books to survive the uprising. Most people doubted those colors in the books.” These lenses must be cleaned by those sentenced to death, and they are prepared for the cleaning process with meticulous instructions, and with a protective ‘space suit’ and a special visor, which may or may not give the one wearing it an altered perception.

“Nothing you see is real,” Allison claimed, during her last hour. “There could be people outside… They could be watching us.” After her death, Holstone undergoes a change. “”He’d spent the first anniversary of her death scrubbing the holding cel clean, washing the yellow airlock door, straining for some sound, some knock, that the ghost of his wife was back to set him free.”

Is there a difference between the perception of this confined society, and truth? Would you dare break the boundaries and find out, at the risk of losing your life?

Five stars. ( )
  Uvi_Poznansky | Aug 28, 2014 |
This is a great short story; perfect to kick off the series.

Meet the residents of the Silo, an underground structure built to protect its residents from a toxic outside world. Life in the silo runs smoothly, dictated by exacting rules and codes of conduct. Howey spins his tale with ease and the writing style sucks you in completely. If you can, get the omnibus edition because once you start reading, you won't want to put the book down.

I highly recommend you read this as a part of the omnibus edition because you're going to want to know more. ( )
  divanina | Jun 28, 2014 |
Loved the ending. It absolutely forced my to but the omnibus immediately after finishing. ( )
  sffstorm | Jun 9, 2014 |
New treatment of a dystopian future in underground silos. Could not put down. Get the omnibus edition for books 1-5 of Wool. ( )
  Jfurnee | Mar 17, 2014 |
Synopsis: In this collection of related novellas, we explore a post-apocalyptic world in which everyone is living in a "silo" spanning downwards into the earth, instead of up into the sky. There, they are safe from the toxic fumes that ravage the earth's surface. However, it's not at all clear how humanity got into this underground silo, why the people of the past have revolted so many times, and...slowly...new evidence arrives to suggest that possibly the people in power are hiding something nefarious. This set of novellas follows several different characters as they independently discover secrets of the silo.

My Thoughts: This book had a really slow start for me since I prefer novels rather than short stories. I like the character and plot development that is only possible with a novel-length story. Wool is a long book, but it is a collection of loosely connected novellas rather than one continuous story. This creates an intriguing atmosphere of mystery, and allows for different characters to discover different types of secrets of the silo - which is a refreshing turn from most dystopic literature these days in which one character manages to discover all. I guess this format is more believable in that way. But the format slows down plot and character development. The book started picking up about half-way through for me, though. This is when it started focusing on certain characters for longer. Thus, more character development. Also, about half-way through the book is when I started to realize that perhaps Wool was ideologically different than most dystopias. I began to wonder if maybe the choices the government was making really were protecting the people. Maybe ignorance - though abhorrent - was necessary in this case? I'm not going to say what my final conclusion on this subject was...you'll have to find out for yourself. And I probably still need to read the prequel, Shift, and the sequel, Dust, in order to come to a conclusion.There's still a lot of mystery to me about the silo.

Cross Posted on Resistance is Futile ( )
  The_Hibernator | Jan 29, 2014 |

Is contained in

The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible