Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

Member:teresa1953
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 56 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Advance Proof Review for Amazon Vine

Wool by Hugh Howey (2011)

This is a great short story; perfect to kick off the series.

Meet the residents of the Silo, an underground structure built to protect its residents from a toxic outside world. Life in the silo runs smoothly, dictated by exacting rules and codes of conduct. Howey spins his tale with ease and the writing style sucks you in completely. If you can, get the omnibus edition because once you start reading, you won't want to put the book down.

I highly recommend you read this as a part of the omnibus edition because you're going to want to know more. ( )
  divanina | Jun 28, 2014 |
Loved the ending. It absolutely forced my to but the omnibus immediately after finishing. ( )
  sffstorm | Jun 9, 2014 |
New treatment of a dystopian future in underground silos. Could not put down. Get the omnibus edition for books 1-5 of Wool. ( )
  Jfurnee | Mar 17, 2014 |
Synopsis: In this collection of related novellas, we explore a post-apocalyptic world in which everyone is living in a "silo" spanning downwards into the earth, instead of up into the sky. There, they are safe from the toxic fumes that ravage the earth's surface. However, it's not at all clear how humanity got into this underground silo, why the people of the past have revolted so many times, and...slowly...new evidence arrives to suggest that possibly the people in power are hiding something nefarious. This set of novellas follows several different characters as they independently discover secrets of the silo.

My Thoughts: This book had a really slow start for me since I prefer novels rather than short stories. I like the character and plot development that is only possible with a novel-length story. Wool is a long book, but it is a collection of loosely connected novellas rather than one continuous story. This creates an intriguing atmosphere of mystery, and allows for different characters to discover different types of secrets of the silo - which is a refreshing turn from most dystopic literature these days in which one character manages to discover all. I guess this format is more believable in that way. But the format slows down plot and character development. The book started picking up about half-way through for me, though. This is when it started focusing on certain characters for longer. Thus, more character development. Also, about half-way through the book is when I started to realize that perhaps Wool was ideologically different than most dystopias. I began to wonder if maybe the choices the government was making really were protecting the people. Maybe ignorance - though abhorrent - was necessary in this case? I'm not going to say what my final conclusion on this subject was...you'll have to find out for yourself. And I probably still need to read the prequel, Shift, and the sequel, Dust, in order to come to a conclusion.There's still a lot of mystery to me about the silo.

Cross Posted on Resistance is Futile ( )
  The_Hibernator | Jan 29, 2014 |
A short depressing work whose ending moves it up from 3 to 4 stars. ( )
  Lexxi | Jan 19, 2014 |

Is contained in

The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible