Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2011; edition 2013)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (1)

Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:Simon & Schuster (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages

Wool [short story] by Hugh Howey (2011)

An entertaining read by a clever writer. [a:Hugh Howey|3064305|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1327581631p2/3064305.jpg] has the ability to stretch a simple concept a very long way, and constantly surprise you with the trajectory of an all to prototypical nexus. Way too wordy, and written for the young crowd, kind of like [b:Holes|38709|Holes (Holes, #1)|Louis Sachar|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327781893s/38709.jpg|1679789]. It's also obvious how this can be serialized for TV soon. This author has a bright future, and I am very happy that he is doing such big things with digital marketing. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
I had heard about this series from some friends and read several positive reviews, so I decided to give it a try. Sometimes books with rave reviews build expectations so high that the book can never reach. I am glad to say that this series exceeded all of my inflated expectations. It was that good.
In this version of the future, the earth is a toxic wasteland. To be outside and breathe the air is certain death. The population in the story live below ground in a silo. Everyone has a job which aids the silo in sustaining life. But some people have questions, dangerous questions which those in charge do not wish to answer, questions and ideas which could lead to an uprising and result in sort of an underground civil war. These people must be dealt with quickly to avoid their ideas from being spread among the population.
The normal way to deal with the malcontents is to send them outside to clean the lenses on the observation cameras. They are fitted with a sort of a space suit with an air pack for the cleanings, but die from either running out of air or the suit being eaten away by the toxins in the atmosphere.
However, those in charge are hiding things from the general population, things which they believe would be detrimental to living in harmony within the silo. If the lies don't kill them, the truth will.
A very believable vision of the future, with several plot twists to keep the story exciting. I very much enjoyed reading this. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Aug 13, 2015 |
Have you ever felt guilty about not liking a book? Or is it only me? Or do I have a friend?

I will be honest. I had this book for seven, SEVEN months and this is my fifth attempt at reading it. I have had more success and pleasure in watching paint dry. The writing doesn't grip me at all.

I get it, I really do. I can see how there would be troves of people who like this book. I wanted to like this book so bad, too. The writing just bored me to tears. For the life of me I couldn't get anywhere and I tried so hard.

The storyline is right up my alley, but the way the author phrased things made me feel like I am attending an Entmoot. The plot development was so slow it made my eyelids rust... I am giving up. To all those lovely people who wanted to chat about Wool, alas I am sorry to say....

IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
Very nice novella, because that's what I would call this rather than a short or long story. A not so uncommon theme of apocalyptic future confined with limited resources, but definitely a very good twist in the end - leaves a whole range of possibilities open for the reader to ponder upon. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
Description: Thousands of them have lived underground. They've lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside.

Or you'll get what you wish for.

Thoughts: I downloaded this ages and ages ago because people were talking about it and it was free. That was about all I knew. I don't typically go in for short stories all that much, but free is nice so whatever.

But HOLY HELL! It sure packed a lot of interesting stuff into a tiny little package. I can't wait to see where this goes in the other parts. I just went ahead and bought the omnibus for Kindle, but I'll continue to "review" them (because this was a terrible review) as individuals.

Rating: 4.2

Liked: 4.5
Plot: 4

Broxton, JimmyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, JustinAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Howey, HughOriginal Storymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cooke, DarwynCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
This is the original short story. Please do not combine it with the edition (also sometimes titled "Wool") that contains all five chapters of the first book in the series.

Dystopian yarn
Dust swirls and twirls outside
Don't fall for the hype. (cysb)

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)

54 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,695,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible