Sarah by Orson Scott Card

Sarah (2000)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Women of Genesis (1)

I have read the author's science fiction books, and did not really like them. Granted, science fiction is not my favorite genre.
I have often felt that the Bible (strictly speaking about it as a historical work, not denying the spiritual value) was fairly male-centric. There are some great women in the Bible and I would like to know them better. Even as a fictional account (and we must never confuse fiction with reality) this story was well researched and very interesting. ( )
  nittnut | Aug 31, 2018 |
The author has done his research on women in the old testament of the Bible. He said that some of the information contradicted other documents so he made decisions also based on what made good fiction. I like that he is paying attention to women who don't get much credit or much mention in the Bible. This made for interesting reading starting with Sarai being a young girl in her father's home (a former king). Abram (later called Abraham) arranges the marriage of Sarai''s (later Sarah) sister to Lot. Abram promises to return within 10 years to marry Sarai and does so. Card had two other books in this series, Rebekkah and Rachel & Leah. I am not particularly religious but have liked other books about characters in the Bible. These books made these people and their lives real and explains how the stories about them may have started.
  taurus27 | Apr 26, 2018 |
I've always enjoyed OSC's writing... but was hesitant on this one...certainly not sci-fi! But Card did an amazing job of making you like you were right there, and you knew Sarah! ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
I read this one long ago also. When I learned that Card had written a couple of books about women in the Old Testament, I sought it out. (Also Rebecca, if I recall correctly.) I remember that I liked it, although I thought it departed a bit from what little is known from the scriptures. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Gives a history and a personality (both thoroughly fictional) to a woman crucial to the story of the Jews, but often overlooked in her roles as Abraham's wife and Isaac's mother. Humanizes an enigmatic icon. ( )
  librisissimo | Apr 10, 2016 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leighton, FredericCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jill Locke, whose voice has been heard
reading aloud, filling our home
with the language of love, and whose music
is gold that we hold in our hearts
Sarai was ten years old when she saw him first.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765341174, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Orson Scott Card comes the finely crafted novel of Sarah, about a beautiful and courageous Jewish woman who changed the course of history through her faith, wisdom, and commitment to her husband, Abraham. As a man writing from a woman's perspective, Card nevertheless shows great perspicacity. Sarah's range of emotions is credible, including her fear as she pretends to be Abraham's sister in order to fool the Egyptian pharaoh Neb-Towi-Re, and her pain as she deals with her barrenness. Later, the kindness Sarah showers on Hagar, her personal handmaid, conflicts believably with her agonizing jealousy over her decision to let Abraham father a child with Hagar. Card's research for the book results in detailed descriptions that help make it memorable, from the practice of religion and styles of dress to the accounts of desert and city life. He succeeds in offering a memorable tale for both those who are interested in biblical women as part of their faith and readers who just enjoy a good story. --Cindy Crosby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

The first novel in a trilogy on the women of Genesis, focusing on the life of Sarah, a devoted wife, and follower of the God of Abraham, who is chosen to experience a miracle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,742,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible