Locked In by Kerry Wilkinson

I really enjoyed this book by Kerry Wilkinson! I enjoyed reading about Jessica Daniels and how she managed to solve a very difficult case. Jessica is a very determined and independent woman. The story line kept me wanting to read more. There were several plot twists throughout the book that were very shocking. I am definitely interested in reading more of this series, in order to find out what happens with Jessica.
  NikkiK94 | Mar 21, 2018 |
This is the first book in a series featuring DS Jessica Daniel. It's an average police thriller with an uninspiring plot. Four bodies are waiting to be discovered and at each location it is noted that all doors are locked so how did the killer enter? What if it was possible to acquire a duplicate key? As I do not want to spoil your enjoyment I will take this train of thought no further. The author does a nice job of introducing Jessica, a career minded detective, who shares a flat with her best friend Caroline. Caroline has a new boyfriend called Randy and wants her flat mate Jessica to make up a foursome with Ryan, Randy's friend. The reason I mention this is on their first meeting Jessica did not really fancy Ryan but jumps into bed with him almost immediately. I thought this a ridiculous premise an articulate and organised DS throwing all caution to the wind for a quick sh*g. As the body count mounts DS Daniel comes under pressure for a quick resolve.

The real problem I have with this story is the following. Most readers of crime (including myself) are keen to play amateur detective and try to solve if possible who might be the killer. It is obvious that an author will always try to keep the ID of any killer a mystery until the final pages. The real skill is presenting him in a small part, as an unassuming boring character, and then revealing him as the killer in the final pages, when hopefully the reader will be delightfully surprised and somewhat disappointed that he was unable to discover the truth for himself. In "Locked In", I knew immediately who the killer was as soon as he was introduced. This is the first book in a long running series by Kerry Wilkinson and I suppose we should grant some latitude in the hope that later books in the series improve. I have since read "Nothing but Trouble" and really enjoyed, so it is probably fair to say that Mr Wilkinson is improving his technique as the series progresses. Nevertheless "Locked In" remains a poor read and certainly not one that I will recall with any real enjoyment. ( )
  runner56 | Dec 22, 2017 |
Locked in by Kerry Wilkinson
DS Jessica Daniel series Book #1
4.5 Stars

From The Book:
They think they are safe at home. Someone knows better. When a body is found in a locked house, Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel is left to not only find the killer but discover how they got in and out.

With little in the way of leads and a journalist that seems to know more about the case than she does, Jessica is already feeling the pressure—and that’s before a second body shows up in identical circumstances to the first. How can a murderer get to victims in seemingly impossible situations and what, if anything, links the bodies? When a body is found in a locked house, Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel is left to not only find the killer but discover how they got in and out.

My Views:
I had never heard of this author or this series until it was selected as my Blind Date With A Book. I had a hard time finding the book but once I had secured it I was hook from the start.

Being the first book in the series it suffered "first book syndrome" in places by being a little predictable with some rough spots but nothing that put me off or took away from the story line. The main character of DS Jessica Daniel is nobody's fool and is certainly not a soft touch. The flow of the book was perfect . I certainly plan to follow this author even though our "date" has ended. ( )
  Carol420 | May 13, 2017 |
Typically I enjoy British crime novels and mysteries quite a lot. They seem to me to depend more on telling a good story than to shock with grisly details. I am also fond of characters that are interesting and likable. Both of these things are true in Locked In (Jessica Daniel Series). In fact, the series has great promise in my opinion. I have not read any further into the series, and acquired this book through the Amazon Vine program.

As stated, it is important to me to have likable characters in any book I'm reading. This author has a gift for that. There is also a good story here, with interesting twists and even a good backstory involving the police department. All very good things in my opinion. But the writing was a bit difficult to follow at times. The sentence structure wandered and that took away from the flow.

The story premise is an intriguing one. A brutally murdered woman found in a securely locked home. It did not appear that she had let anyone in and she had clearly not killed herself. Information is leaked to the press and Jessica and the department are having a difficult time finding any clues to who killed the woman. And it gets even more mysterious as it appears that there might be another victim found under similar circumstances.

As I said, this could have been a good story. In fact it was a good story, just somewhat hard to find. I doubt I will continue this series. I will also go as far as to recommend this story, but I would certainly not warn against giving it a try. ( )
1 vote mckait | Oct 25, 2013 |
Locked-In is the first novel in the DS Jessica Daniel series by author Kerry Wilkinson. A woman is found murdered in an apparently impossible situation. All the doors and windows have been locked and the killer has seemingly had no way in or out. DS Jessica Daniel is assigned to track down the 'Houdini' killer and then more bodies start turning up in similar situations.

This book has an interesting premise and owes its heritage to one of the early masters of crime fiction Edgar Allen Poe who, with his Monsieur Dupin character, virtually invented the locked room mystery. That is, however and sadly, where the comparisons end between the books. With his short stories Poe managed to create a far more interesting story that was managed by Kerry Wilkinson.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 27, 2013 |

When a body is found in a locked house, Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel is left to not only find the killer but discover how they got in and out. With little in the way of leads and a journalist that seems to know more about the case than she does, Jessica is already feeling the pressure - and that's before a second body shows up in identical circumstances to the first. How can a murderer get to victims in seemingly impossible situations and what, if anything, links the bodies?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible