Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by…

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World (edition 2012)

by H.H. Dalai Lama, Alexander Norman (Contributor)

1541477,562 (4)19
Member:ebnelson
Title:Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
Authors:H.H. Dalai Lama
Other authors:Alexander Norman (Contributor)
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:2013 read, library, audiobook

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by H. H. Dalai Lama

I listened to this book as I walked to work. It really put me in a great mood, ready to face the trials of the day. It is very clearly written and truly inspiring. I liked the exercises at the end. I will be putting them into practice as I sit in the mornings. I just wish that more people in the world would come to understand our commonalities. It would go a long way to bringing peace to our communities and the planet. ( )
1 vote njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I am a big fan of the Dali Lama and picked this up for free a while ago. As a humanist I thought I would enjoy it.

I did enjoy the beginning, but after that it dragged on a fair amount. Since it was an audiobook I can't really skip that. I think I would enjoy reading the actual book and hopefully I will at some point.

Also now I keep thinking the Dali Lama sounds like Martin Sheen. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
I just couldn't love DL more ( I want to pick him up and carry him around with me ... ) This is ' value ethics ' , which has been kicking around since Aristotle. ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
A nice easy read for anyone really, from those interested purely in ethics and morality in a modern context, to those coming from a religious angle. Buddhist ideas are carefully presented in a secular, modern fashion. Nothing earth-shattering or new, though could provide a good base for those interested in pursuing further reading or practice in practical ethics via a secular approach stemming from Tibetan Buddhist thought. The meditation advice and exercises at the end of the book is very helpful and easy to follow for someone wishing to begin a practice. ( )
2 vote dean_p | Jul 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Without a doubt the best book written by the Dalai Lama, so far. I really didn't want to finish Beyond Religion and now that I have, I feel the need to read it again. I recognise that I have a tremendous lack of tolerance for religion and those who profess to be devoutly anything. This book came into my life at a very good time and I highly recommend it. I can not imagine anyone not benefiting from what His Holiness has to share. His acceptance is inspiring. ( )
2 vote susiebrooks | May 22, 2012 |

H. H. Dalai Lamaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sheen, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An unprecedented event: a beloved world religious leader proposes a way to lead an ethical, happy, and spiritual life beyond religion and offers a program of mental training for cultivating key human values

Ten years ago, in his best-selling Ethics for a New Millennium, His Holiness the Dalai Lama first proposed an approach to ethics based on universal rather than religious principles. Now, in Beyond Religion, the Dalai Lama, at his most compassionate and outspoken, elaborates and deepens his vision for the nonreligious way.

Transcending the mere “religion wars,” he outlines a system of ethics for our shared world, one that gives full respect to religion. With the highest level of spiritual and intellectual authority, the Dalai Lama makes a stirring appeal for what he calls a “third way,” a path to an ethical and happy life and to a global human community based on understanding and mutual respect.

Beyond Religion is an essential statement from the Dalai Lama, a blueprint for all those who may choose not to identify with a religious tradition, yet still yearn for a life of spiritual fulfillment as they work for a better world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:52 -0400)

A follow-up to the best-selling Ethics for a New Millennium outlines a system of secular ethics that both transcends religion and incorporates religious tolerance for the overall improvement of human life on individual, community and global levels, offering an accompanying guided meditation practice for cultivating key human values.… (more)

30 wanted2 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible