Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by…

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World (edition 2012)

by H.H. Dalai Lama, Alexander Norman (Contributor)

Member:ebnelson
Title:Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World
Authors:H.H. Dalai Lama
Other authors:Alexander Norman (Contributor)
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:2013 read, library, audiobook

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by H. H. Dalai Lama

I sincerely enjoyed reading about the cultivation of specific human traits from a non-dogmatic persepctive. I have always rejected the notion that a deity is necessary for mankind to avoid that which is harmful to us along numerous plains of the human experience. The author takes his time discussing particular traits, positive and negative, in simple terms, using metaphor only when needed. As with other books I've read by Tibetan monks, I agree with about 92% of the philosophy and disagree with the rest. The author seems to rush through one point that I wish he'd taken a bit longer to explain: that of capital punishment and revenge. His conclusion was too quick, especially in the face of strong counter-arguments. Perhaps there *is* closure, and no cycle of violence, when an gross offender's life is taken in return for a crime. Explore that from the victim's perspective please, a bit more. The discussion was ended too quickly. Another unanswered question is: how do we know based on our emotions, whether to give expression to a natural urge or to quash it? This isn't clear to me. On what rationalistic reasoning is this based? I am more used to the concept of channeling all emotions, rather than supressing it, which is beyond a monumental task, which the Dalai Lama seeme to think could come with ease. Not so. No matter the content in the book, I must always keep in mind with a dash of salt that desire to monks is expressed for the layman as a wish for chocolate cake, rather than, oh, I dunno, sex? ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I wanted more from this book. It's philosophically/theologically sound, and I agree with the basic premise, but it still read like a book about Tibetan Buddhism. I think it would be accessible to members of other religious traditions, and to non-religious people, but it didn't break new ground for me. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Three books published in the last few years should be on every peacemaker's bookshelf: Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature", Michael Shermer's "The Moral Arc", and the Dalai Lama's "Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World". These three volumes begin with the premise that global violence on an historical timeline is not getting worse and that humanity is generally good. Turn the nightly news on today, or scan the latest headlines on your iPhone, and it would seem that the world grows uglier each day. Pinker's book successfully argues that the past was a much more brutal time. Shermer argues that because of the Enlightenment, thinkers consciously applied the methods of science to morally solve social struggles and that again, on an historical timeline, humanity is in the most moral period in history. The Dalai Lama makes it clear in "Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World" that an individual does not have to be religious to be ethical. Love and compassion are necessities for living. Compassion expresses deep sensitivity to the sufferings of others and a fierce drive to help alleviate those sufferings. Compassion is also the realization that we - human beings, animals, and the earth itself - are all interconnected. ( )
  greggchadwick | Apr 18, 2015 |
Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama has written a book that, as the title proclaims, goes beyond religion. From the dust jacket: "Transcending the mere "religion wars," he outlines a system of ethics for our shared world, one that gives full respect to religion. With the highest level of spiritual and intellectual authority, the Dalai Lama makes a stirring appeal for what he calls a 'third way,' a path to an ethical and happy life and to a global human community based on understanding and mutual respect.

Beyond Religion is an essential statement from the Dalai Lama, a blueprint for all those who may choose not to identify with a religious tradition, yet still yearn for a life of spiritual fulfillment as they work for a better world.
1 vote uufnn | Feb 16, 2015 |
I listened to this book as I walked to work. It really put me in a great mood, ready to face the trials of the day. It is very clearly written and truly inspiring. I liked the exercises at the end. I will be putting them into practice as I sit in the mornings. I just wish that more people in the world would come to understand our commonalities. It would go a long way to bringing peace to our communities and the planet. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

H. H. Dalai Lamaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sheen, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An unprecedented event: a beloved world religious leader proposes a way to lead an ethical, happy, and spiritual life beyond religion and offers a program of mental training for cultivating key human values

Ten years ago, in his best-selling Ethics for a New Millennium, His Holiness the Dalai Lama first proposed an approach to ethics based on universal rather than religious principles. Now, in Beyond Religion, the Dalai Lama, at his most compassionate and outspoken, elaborates and deepens his vision for the nonreligious way.

Transcending the mere “religion wars,” he outlines a system of ethics for our shared world, one that gives full respect to religion. With the highest level of spiritual and intellectual authority, the Dalai Lama makes a stirring appeal for what he calls a “third way,” a path to an ethical and happy life and to a global human community based on understanding and mutual respect.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

A follow-up to the best-selling Ethics for a New Millennium outlines a system of secular ethics that both transcends religion and incorporates religious tolerance for the overall improvement of human life on individual, community and global levels, offering an accompanying guided meditation practice for cultivating key human values.… (more)

47 wanted2 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,942,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible