The Life of Language: The Fascinating Ways…

The Life of Language: The Fascinating Ways Words are Born, Live & Die (edition 2006)

by Sol Steinmetz

421273,462 (3)2
Member:shorelinemom
Title:The Life of Language: The Fascinating Ways Words are Born, Live & Die
Authors:Sol Steinmetz
Info:Random House Reference (2006), Paperback, 400 pages

The Life of Language: The Fascinating Ways Words are Born, Live & Die by Sol Steinmetz

This book wasn't quite what I was expecting but I still found it somewhat interesting. There was a lot about verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. and how they are formed from one another and many lists of examples of the different ways in which English acquires new words. The authors are writing for the nonspecialist and they try to cover their subject in an entertaining manner. However, i will be returning to this book only when I want to look up a specific area of word formation. Included is a list of books consulted and a suggested reading list.
  hailelib | Dec 11, 2010 |

If time travelers from the nineteenth century dropped in on us, our strange vocabulary would shock them just as much as our TVs, cars, and computers. Society changes, and so does its word stock. The Life of Language reveals how pop culture, business, technology, and other forces of globalization expand and enrich the English language, forming thousands of new words every year. In this fascinating and jargon-free guide, lexicographers Kipfer and Steinmetz reconstruct the births of thousands of words, including infantries, poz, mobs, Soho, dinks, choo choos, frankenfoods, LOL, narcs and perps.

· A word lover’s guide to etymology, written in a fun, informal, and accessible style
· An excellent resource for vocabulary building; a word's root helps readers understand its meaning
· Beautifully packaged paperback with French flaps

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,551,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible