Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels) by S. J.…

Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by S. J. Bolton

Title:Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels)
Authors:S. J. Bolton
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Editie: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pagina's

Dead Scared by Sharon Bolton (2012)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Dead Scared was the first, but not the last book, I read written by this author. I'll have no idea why I haven't noticed her books before. But as this was an excellent read I will buy and read all of her books. That means the best possible rating, five stars. Sharon Bolton a.k.a. S. J. Bolton is well known, and much liked. Signed, first editions of her first books are already quite expensive. ( )
  Bengan | Apr 1, 2015 |
Lacey is just recovered from the Ripper like murderer and dealing with that and DI Mark Joesbury convinces her to go to college undercover and see what she can find out. Psychiatrist Evi Oliver is the only one who knows who Lacey really is, and she has her own problems. Problems that could be in her own head, as many people tell her.

It's interesting and had me at the edge of my seat while reading it, as it opened with Lacey about to commit suicide and then went back to how she ends up on this ledge and why, I found it fascinating. Lacey is quite broken by this and I'll be interested to see what happens to her next. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 7, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I just finish Dead Scared, reading the last 200 pages in only three hours.

It was creepy. Sharon Bolton is really good at creating tension and a creepy atmosphere. I even asked myself why I was reading this just before going to sleep, but I couldn't stop reading it either. It really is a shame this has been on my TBR for almost a year!

Lacey Flint gets called to Cambridge for an under cover operation, as figures show there is an unusual high suicide rate. Psychiatrist Evi Olliver believes someone might be promoting suicide. The truth is even more macabre.

I particularly liked the first three hundred pages. You know something is going on, but you don't know who does it or how it's done. That's what makes a good detective, for me. I'd figured the story mostly out by then, I thought, and it indeed turned out that I was mostly right. The pace is very fast and it was nice to read. At first I wasn't too sure about Sharon Bolton's decision to start writing a series, but so far I really likes Lacey Flint and this series. I'm already looking forward to reading the third Lacey Flint novel. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Reading these Det. Lacy Flint novels in order; this one is #2, and has the detective going undercover in Cambridge to discover why there has been a rash of suicides, mostly of female college students. Great storytelling with some thrilling moments, as well as comical ones. Enjoyable read and a page-turner at times for sure. ( )
1 vote Randall.Hansen | Oct 5, 2014 |
A quick and easy, entertaining read. I was mildly disappointed by the ending, but I like the character of Lacey Flint enough that I will eagerly read the next in the series. ( )
1 vote eapalmer | Sep 13, 2013 |

Sharon Boltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, S.J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, Sharonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
What are fears but voices airy?
Whispering harm where harm is not,
And deluding the unwary
Till the fatal bolt is shot!

William Wordsworth
In memory of Peter Inglis Smith:
kind neighbour, great writer, good friend.
When a large object falls from a great height, the speed at which it travels accelerates until the upward force of air resistance become equal to the downward propulsion of gravity. (Prologue)

Going undercover as a vulnerable college student when a suspicious rash of suicides occurs at Cambridge University, DC Lacey Flint finds her tragic past and insecurities rendering her a more susceptible target than she realized.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,948,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible