Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels) by S. J.…

Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by S. J. Bolton

2071956,585 (4.04)10
Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels)
Authors:S. J. Bolton
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Editie: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pagina's
Rating:*****

Dead Scared by Sharon Bolton (2012)

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All languages (19)
Reading these Det. Lacy Flint novels in order; this one is #2, and has the detective going undercover in Cambridge to discover why there has been a rash of suicides, mostly of female college students. Great storytelling with some thrilling moments, as well as comical ones. Enjoyable read and a page-turner at times for sure. ( )
1 vote Randall.Hansen | Oct 5, 2014 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

READ IN ENGLISH

I just finish Dead Scared, reading the last 200 pages in only three hours.

It was creepy. Sharon Bolton is really good at creating tension and a creepy atmosphere. I even asked myself why I was reading this just before going to sleep, but I couldn't stop reading it either. It really is a shame this has been on my TBR for almost a year!

Lacey Flint gets called to Cambridge for an under cover operation, as figures show there is an unusual high suicide rate. Psychiatrist Evi Olliver believes someone might be promoting suicide. The truth is even more macabre.

I particularly liked the first three hundred pages. You know something is going on, but you don't know who does it or how it's done. That's what makes a good detective, for me. I'd figured the story mostly out by then, I thought, and it indeed turned out that I was mostly right. The pace is very fast and it was nice to read. At first I wasn't too sure about Sharon Bolton's decision to start writing a series, but so far I really likes Lacey Flint and this series. I'm already looking forward to reading the third Lacey Flint novel. ( )
1 vote Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
A quick and easy, entertaining read. I was mildly disappointed by the ending, but I like the character of Lacey Flint enough that I will eagerly read the next in the series. ( )
1 vote eapalmer | Sep 13, 2013 |
When a number of suicides occur at Cambridge University, DI Mark Joesbury recruits DC Lacey Flint to go undercover as a student to investigate. Although each student’s death appears to be a suicide, the psychological histories, social networks, and online activities of the students involved share remarkable similarities, and the police are not convinced that the victims acted alone. They believe that someone might be preying on lonely and insecure students and either encouraging them to take their own lives or actually luring them to their deaths. As long as Lacey can play the role of a vulnerable young woman, she may be able to stop these deaths, but is it just a role for her? With her fragile past, is she drawing out the killers, or is she herself being drawn into a deadly game where she’s a perfect victim?

A hard to put down thrilling thriller with a good tightly woven storyline until it all unravels in the last couple of acts and left this reader rather unsatisfied.
Incredibly atmospheric and creepy with good characterisation, the unnerving voyeurism theme of the novel is particularly well done.
Enjoyment of this novel will depend on the ability to suspend disbelief but just go with it, it’s a pacy, gripping read….oh and it has a brilliant dog in it.
1 vote jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
This was my first S. J. Bolton book and I can't wait to read the rest in this particular series. It was well written and fast moving. A good guilty pleasure book. And, oh I had nightmares while reading the book. It is scarey and suspenseful just like a good mystery should be. ( )
1 vote KatherineGregg | Jan 23, 2013 |

Sharon Boltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, S.J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, Sharonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
What are fears but voices airy?
Whispering harm where harm is not,
And deluding the unwary
Till the fatal bolt is shot!

William Wordsworth
In memory of Peter Inglis Smith:
kind neighbour, great writer, good friend.
When a large object falls from a great height, the speed at which it travels accelerates until the upward force of air resistance become equal to the downward propulsion of gravity. (Prologue)

Going undercover as a vulnerable college student when a suspicious rash of suicides occurs at Cambridge University, DC Lacey Flint finds her tragic past and insecurities rendering her a more susceptible target than she realized.

46 wanted2 pay1 pay

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,488,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible