Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels) by S. J.…

Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by S. J. Bolton

Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:Dead Scared (Lacey Flint Novels)
Authors:S. J. Bolton
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Editie: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pagina's
Rating:*****

Dead Scared by Sharon Bolton (2012)

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
A quick and easy, entertaining read. I was mildly disappointed by the ending, but I like the character of Lacey Flint enough that I will eagerly read the next in the series. ( )
  eapalmer | Sep 13, 2013 |
When a number of suicides occur at Cambridge University, DI Mark Joesbury recruits DC Lacey Flint to go undercover as a student to investigate. Although each student’s death appears to be a suicide, the psychological histories, social networks, and online activities of the students involved share remarkable similarities, and the police are not convinced that the victims acted alone. They believe that someone might be preying on lonely and insecure students and either encouraging them to take their own lives or actually luring them to their deaths. As long as Lacey can play the role of a vulnerable young woman, she may be able to stop these deaths, but is it just a role for her? With her fragile past, is she drawing out the killers, or is she herself being drawn into a deadly game where she’s a perfect victim?

A hard to put down thrilling thriller with a good tightly woven storyline until it all unravels in the last couple of acts and left this reader rather unsatisfied.
Incredibly atmospheric and creepy with good characterisation, the unnerving voyeurism theme of the novel is particularly well done.
Enjoyment of this novel will depend on the ability to suspend disbelief but just go with it, it’s a pacy, gripping read….oh and it has a brilliant dog in it.
  jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
This was my first S. J. Bolton book and I can't wait to read the rest in this particular series. It was well written and fast moving. A good guilty pleasure book. And, oh I had nightmares while reading the book. It is scarey and suspenseful just like a good mystery should be. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Jan 23, 2013 |
Wow! Just wow. Even now I find myself struggling to put into words just how much I enjoyed this book. From the very first page and until the end I found myself utterly captivated by this book. Dead Scared brings back DC Lacey Flint as she goes undercover at the notorious Cambridge college to investigate a recent string of suicides on campus. Lacey is posing as a student in hopes of learning more about why these young students are choosing to end their lives in such unconventional and violent ways. But Lacey soon realizes that she is in way over her head as her investigation spirals out of control.

I found this book to be so intense and creepy that I just couldn't put it down! As soon as Lacey goes undercover the tone and atmosphere of the book goes dark and ominous which led to a deliciously good amount of tension. I was turning the pages on my reader as fast as I could! The author chose to switch viewpoints from character to character which worked well for me. It kept me on my toes and definitely kept me reading for longer periods of time than I normally would. I just can't emphasize how strong of a hold this book had on me. This book was dark, it was thrilling, it was fast paced....it was everything that a good thriller should be. It would have been perfect and an easy 5 star read for me if not for the ending. The ending was a bit of a let down as it left too many things open. When I finished I went back and reread and still felt the same way which was a bit disappointing. I checked and there will be a 3rd book though which gives me some hope that we will get a bit more closure in the next book. Overall although I found the ending mildly disappointing, the book itself was sooo good that it overrode any qualms that I had for it. I need more Lacey Flint in my life!

Reading this book (and loving it so much) has catapulted this author and all of her books on to my must read list! Seriously, I have plans to read anything and everything that she has written including all future books! If thrillers with dark and creepy atmospheres are your thing, then you must give this author a try. I strongly recommend that you begin with Now You See Me which is just as amazing of a book! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if both of these books make it on my top ten reads of 2012 list. And I'm gushing at this point so I'll end it with a very, very highly recommended! Read it!

Bottom Line: An AMAZING thriller! That's all you need to know :)

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. My many thanks because this book was such a good read! ( )
  samantha.1020 | Nov 13, 2012 |
When I first started this book, I realized it was not the first one to feature Lacey Flint and Mark Joesbury. But though the book alluded to what had occurred previously, it didn't give too much away that I wouldn't go back and read the first book and it didn't prevent me from enjoying this one.
Lacey Flint goes undercover at Cambridge but not to snoop around. Lacey is meant to be bait though she doesn't quite know it. But she does some investigating anyway, working with psychologist Evi Oliver to find the connection between the high number of girls who have committed suicide. Lacey discovers that they appear to have been terrorized. Evi meanwhile is questioning her own sanity as things keep showing up in her house, things that have a personal and scary meaning for her.
There aren't a lot of suspects but that doesn't keep the author from managing to surprise you at the end. I didn't love this book but I did enjoy it and would probably read more by this author. ( )
  bookmagic | Oct 16, 2012 |

Sharon Boltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, S.J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, Sharonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
What are fears but voices airy?
Whispering harm where harm is not,
And deluding the unwary
Till the fatal bolt is shot!

William Wordsworth
In memory of Peter Inglis Smith:
kind neighbour, great writer, good friend.
When a large object falls from a great height, the speed at which it travels accelerates until the upward force of air resistance become equal to the downward propulsion of gravity. (Prologue)

Going undercover as a vulnerable college student when a suspicious rash of suicides occurs at Cambridge University, DC Lacey Flint finds her tragic past and insecurities rendering her a more susceptible target than she realized.

46 wanted2 pay1 pay

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,251,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible