Practicing Peace in Times of War by Pema…

Practicing Peace in Times of War

by Pema Chödrön

208556,261 (4.13)4
Recently added bysusanursel, andereck2010, ZMMLib

They really just wanted to have a book out with ' war ' in the title ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Excellent, excellent, teeny tiny book. I got if from the library but had to buy one. I will buy it for lots of people too. It's simple (but not really), short and tremendously helpful. I am not really doing the book justice with this review. I love all kinds of spiritual books but had not really read anything Buddhist. This would be helpful to anyone from any faith. ( )
  lisa875 | Jan 2, 2015 |
They really just wanted to have a book out with ' war ' in the title ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Excellent and (very) brief reminder of the need for compassion and mindfulness in this time of war and violence. HHDL often teaches "calm abiding" (Shamata) meditation practice. I like Pema's advice on "compassionate abiding" practice. ( )
  bodhisattva | May 28, 2007 |
This book provides some of Pema Chodron's classic arguments for meditation and Buddhist practice while also giving the reader useful perspectives on living a life that promotes peace. ( )
  ctoll | Mar 22, 2007 |

Pema Chödrönprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hermsen, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor mijn kleinkinderen:
Alexandria, Pete en James

"War and peace begin in the hearts of individuals, declares Pema Chodron at the opening of her inspiring and accessible new book... she draws on Buddhist teachings to explore the origins of aggression and war, explaining that they lie nowhere but within our own hearts and minds. She goes on to explain that, remarkably, the way in which we as individuals respond to challenges in our everyday lives can mean the difference between perpetuating a culture of violence or creating a new culture of compassion. With war and violence flaring all over the world, from Iraq to Darfur to London, most of us are left feeling utterly helpless... Chodron insists that our world will begin to change when each of us, one by one, begins to work for peace at the level of our own behavior, our own habits of thought and action. It's never too late, she tells us, to look within and discover a new way of living" -- amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,309,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible