The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen: A Novel…

The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen: A Novel

by Thomas Caplan

Other authors: Bill Clinton (Introduction)

Really good thriller. Recommend. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
This book had it all: Poorly conceived characters, a complete lack of tension, a totally forseeable plot, and eye-roll inducing dialogue. Stay away. Stay very far away. ( )
  MSWallack | Mar 21, 2014 |
Big disappointmemnt. Sophmoric dialogue, no interesting characters. ( )
  KLTMD | May 19, 2012 |
Ty Hunter is at the height of his career. He is in demand and can pick and choose his movie roles. When he is in Cannes to support the director who essentially gave him his big break, he is invited to a party on board a yacht. On the yacht Surpass he is introduced to the beautiful Isabella, her god-father Ian Santal, and her fiancee Phillip Frost. It is barely a day later that he is contacted by the President of the U.S. because Ian is suspected of possessing, and about to sell, nuclear war heads that were supposed to be dismantled from the old Soviet Union. Since he was invited onto their yacht, the government feels Ty is their best bet to getting close enough to stop the nuclear war heads, and a potential World War III.

This is the beginning of a long tale. Ty is given one piece of high tech gadgetry, a cell phone with a few special features. The idea is for Ty to get back into Ian/Phillip's presence, via Isabella of course, to ferret out information. A good bit of time is spent on board the yacht just being the pampered rich.

Ty Hunter was an okay main character. Even after reading the story I can't tell you much about his real inner self. He is a pretty boy actor who seemed more interested in Isabella at times than stopping the imminent WWIII. So, he is shallow, but then he would have moments of being more like the black ops soldier you expected. There was the potential to give him more depth but it was only skimmed briefly. I can't help but compare to Jason Bourne and Bourne wins out. That is probably not fair of me, but it happened. Some have compared this book to James Bond and I suppose that would be a better comparison, although I have not read Flemming's books and I suspect this is a slower pace.

The villain is well done as an amoral, cunning person out for himself in the end. Ty's contact is Oliver. Oliver makes for a good supporting character. Isabella is clueless to what is going on around her and seemed more privileged than anything else, so she makes a good Bond Girl. Ironically, the surprise stars are four young geeks/hackers employed by the government: Bingo, Delilah Mirador, Jonty Patel, and Nevada Smith. They were great, sadly they appeared later in the book. These characters are golden, and if this becomes a series, they should be given more prominent roles.

The plot was good. The idea of using the dismantling of old nuclear warheads by people who plan to keep them intact, cover their disappearance with an elaborate shell game of misdirection, and sell them is a good story idea. The use of a former black ops soldier who is an international movie star to become a spy is good as well. There are fairly convincing political games and manipulations that occur. It seemed like the perfect combination for a thriller. But just having the building blocks didn't ensure success on all counts I am afraid.

My biggest let down, personally, was the pacing of the novel. First, it was long. That isn't a bad thing in itself, but when there are stretches in the story where I am asking "what is the point of this?" there is a problem. There were long periods where the reader is immersed in the glamorous world of the ultra rich with no particular point to it. Ty spends a considerable amount of time on board the uber-glam yacht meeting other wealthy guests, soaking up the sun, and trying to get closer to Isabella. It isn't until the one big twist in the story that things really pick up. In other words, it dragged sometimes. I felt that it could have been trimmed down to be more of the action thriller that the blurbs promised.

The settings are exotic and/or glamorous which did add to the covert feel. The book provides a lot of details in a wide breadth of topics which provides credibility to aspects of the storyline. There were some good suspenseful scenes and tense moments. The conclusion of the book was good and left the way clear for a series.

I guess I expected more from this character and book. I am a Bourne fan, or Camel Club with Oliver Stone fan, so I could not help but compare Ty Hunter to those. There is no comparison. This book is for those who like more of a Bond panache and style, so keep that in mind. Overall this is a fair debut entry - when you keep in mind it is more Bond-esque and the pacing slows at times. A guilty pleasure for some.

Mysteries and My Musings Book Blog:

Sensuality: some sex, some swearing
Mystery Sub-genre: Intrigue
Main Characters: Ty Hunter, former Task Force 508 member, turned Hollywood leading man
Setting: Modern day, Gibraltar, Tangier, and a Yacht
Obtained Through: Publisher for honest review ( )
  AFHeart | Feb 28, 2012 |
The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen isn't the kind of spy thriller I normally read. I'm much more John Le Carré than James Bond, but when it was offered to me for review by the publisher it was easy to accept. She had me at "former covert operative turned international movie star." How could I resist that?!

Also appealing was the focus on loose nukes - something I don't think enough people take nearly as seriously as they should. There's a lot of nuclear material floating around out there and the possibilities are ugly and endless if you have any level of imagination.

What a fun read this was - as improbable and sometimes silly as it should have been. Even though I'm not fond of reading about the privileged and their possessions (both material and human), I loved this book. It's well-written, doesn't take itself seriously, and keeps you turning the pages. Great entertainment. I couldn't stop thinking of the Harrison Ford and Denzel Washington action movies that I love to escape into. Someone should definitely make this into a movie.

If you're looking for a consistently fun and entertaining read with just enough meat to keep you hooked, look no further. ( )
  kraaivrouw | Feb 23, 2012 |

Thomas Caplanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clinton, BillIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670023213, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: Soldier turned actor Ty Hunter craves nothing more than some R&R after his latest Hollywood blockbuster…until he’s tasked with thwarting a potential nuclear arms deal. Using his celebrity sway and former training, Hunter goes undercover within a wealthy, powerful inner circle in search of a rogue. A sketchy businessman with Russian dealings and a megalomaniac ‘collector’ of riches top the list of suspects, while Isabella Cavill, a jewelry maker for foreign and often questionable clients, is a charming, if not entirely trustworthy, love interest. Hunter struggles to come to terms with a violent military past in order to complete the job, and his reluctance adds to his heroic charm. Stylish and smooth, Hunter is a protagonist reminiscent of James Bond-era machismo, where sophistication reigns supreme.

Bill Clinton pens the introduction, and author Thomas Caplan writes with decisive, well-paced prose. Part spy thriller, part Hollywood dazzler, The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen is a satisfying and fun intrigue story. --Heather Dileepan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Recruited on a clandestine mission to thwart the transfer of nuclear warheads into rogue hands, covert operative turned A-list movie star Ty Hunter uses all his skills as a spy, soldier, and actor to match wits with an enigmatic billionaire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible