Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon and Clare) by…

The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon and Clare) (edition 2012)

by Lilith Saintcrow

Member:Wictoria
Title:The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon and Clare)
Authors:Lilith Saintcrow
Info:Orbit (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**

The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow

India Black by Carol K. Carr (4leschats)
    4leschats: The heroine-hero banter and government protection aspects create a similar tone.
    Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster (SunnySD)

I expected a different kind of story. The author says this isn't a steampunk book, but even though there is more magic than what is generally expected in a steampunk novel, it has that steampunkish feel with all those Altered people and animals.
There are a lot of things I didn't like in this book. Changed names were really not necessary. Victrix could have been Victoria, Themis could have been the Thames and so on, and it would not ruin the story. Next, most chapters end with a cliffhanger. There are two POVs (Bannon's and Clare's), those cliffhangers are often not resolved when it is that character's turn.
I like the idea of Britannia's spirit and her vessels, more than one treason and the fact that the main characters aren't supposed to be romantically involved. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I picked this up because I have liked her other works and lately the Steampunk I've been reading has been a lot of fun. This reminded me of a gritty steampunk Lord Darcy type of book. I liked how the mentath had problems looking upon sorcery since it seems to lock up their minds. The world is fully formed and of course not everything is hunky dory but does sorta follow the history of Victorian England. A fun read and I can't wait for the next book to come out. Just disappointed I have to wait until May 2013 for the next one. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Not bad. Quite fast-paced and a bit chaotic. Despite of that, I enjoyed it, probably because I like the protagonist, Emma. She is competent, and for real (not just claimed and then followed by an incessant need to be rescued). Well, she is rescued a few times, since she does the magic bit, and needs protection from physicsl fighting while she does that, but this doesn't diminish her at all. It doesn't make her Shield condescending or overbearing and she doesn't feel bad about it. It's just the way things are, it's the Shield's job to do this, so he'd better. Besides, she is clearly the more formidable. The other protagonist is a mentath (reminiscent of the ones in Dune and of Sherlock Holmes). He works well with Emma, but I didn't like the bits from his viewpoint (i.e., half of them!). At his bits I got distracted by the chaos, because I wasn't rooting for him. The most he was doing was figuring other people out, but he wasn't so interesting himself. A pity, because that made me tune out a bit for half of the book... ( )
  zjakkelien | Mar 14, 2014 |
OH MY BOB, I want this book. Hurry up, August. ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |
When I started this book, I was expecting the generic Steampunk Romance that has become all too common these days.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover two remarkably interesting characters who have no romantic ties to each other at all, and while there was something of a romantic thread, it certainly didn't overwhelm the murder mystery plot.

I do wish that the magic system was more well-defined, as I often found myself wondering how it worked and whether what they were doing actually made sense. But since this is just the first book in a series, I'm sure we'll find out more later.

~~For a more detailed review, as well as reviews of hundreds of other books, please check out www.GeekLitEtc.com !~~ ( )
  ebooksgirl | Oct 10, 2013 |
For those who serve in shadow
When the young dark-haired woman stepped into his parlor, Archibald Clare was only mildly intrigued.
Come now. In theory, yes. In practice, no. All we care about is practice, correct? We have not achieved our position by being impractical. . . .

Archibald Clare is a detective of truly uncanny abilities-a mentath, capable of feats of deduction and logic that border on the supernatural. He is also abruptly, uniquely, the only unregistered mentath left alive in Londoninium. Someone has murdered the others and, if not for the timely intervention of the Prime sorceress Emma Bannon, there would have been no one left to stop... whatever is coming.

Mentaths and sorcerers are dying-or worse, being seduced into betraying Queen and Country. Bannon and Clare must uncover treachery, conspiracy, and sorcery of the blackest hue. And in a Britannia where magic has turned the Industrial Revolution on its head, time is short.

The game is afoot...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031620126X, Paperback)

Emma Bannon, forensic sorceress in the service of the Empire, has a mission: to protect Archibald Clare, a failed, unregistered mentath. His skills of deduction are legendary, and her own sorcery is not inconsiderable. It doesn't help much that they barely tolerate each other, or that Bannon's Shield, Mikal, might just be a traitor himself. Or that the conspiracy killing registered mentaths and sorcerers alike will just as likely kill them as seduce them into treachery toward their Queen.

In an alternate London where illogical magic has turned the Industrial Revolution on its head, Bannon and Clare now face hostility, treason, cannon fire, black sorcery, and the problem of reliably finding hansom cabs.

The game is afoot..

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:44 -0400)

"Emma Bannon, forensic sorceress in the service of the Empire, has a mission: to protect Archibald Clare, a failed, unregistered mentath. His skills of deduction are legendary, and her own sorcery is not inconsiderable. Unfortunately, they can barely tolerate each other..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

108 wanted2 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible