Wicked Break by Jeff Shelby

Wicked Break

by Jeff Shelby

Mystery about a private eye who is also a surfer. Fast paced and entertaining. Great beach read. ( )
  Gary10 | Dec 18, 2008 |
A great read...maybe the last one in the Noah Braddock stories... would be a great movie or TV show.... but Author has moved to the East... so savor this one... Noah against his better judgment sets out to find "Peter Pluto's" younger brother... "Detective John Welton said, "Braddock. What a complete and utterly unpleasant surprise." We were standing in the parking lot and I watched as the EMT's loaded Rachel into the Ambulance, ready to take her to Sharp Hospital. She'd been shot once. There was a lot of blood and I couldn't tell how badly she was hurt. "I'm missing a gnome in my garden," I said. "You'd make a nice replacement." Welton glared at me. He wore a light blue oxford open at the neck tucked into gray dress slacks. The sunglasses on his face were just slightly darker than his skin. And even in the thick heeled loafers, he didn't break five foot four..... so some witty writing... characters that return like Welton and Liz Santangelo the San Diego police detective Braddock has known from childhood... his mom makes an appearance...in the same vain as Harry Bosh and his family conflicts and of course "Carter Hamm" his boyhood friend. People normally don't associate California with those type of long term relationships...the thinking being everyone is from everywhere but it was my experience in Santa Clara and San Jose that those old local connections are real and carry on. Carter and Noah's conversations are great.... "I think I am in love, Carter Said.”I think I am going to be ill" I said (Noah). "I think she and I were meant for each other," he said. "I think she's more than a decade younger than you." "People say I seem younger than my age." "They mean you're immature." "Still".... Dana came back to us, the guy on her heels. "Guys this is Donnie"... she said stepping to the side "Donnie these are the guys. The good looking one behind the bruises is Noah and the White-hot-looking one is Carter." Carter turned to me.” White-hot" I ignored him.... Later on at the start of the next chapter they are leaving after there conversation with "Donnie" and the three of them are having a conversation in Noah’s jeep...."I am my own boss," he said, turning around to talk to her. "And I am an Actor" "No way" she said.” Get out" We moved thought the old homes in Kensington. "Yeah, dude. Get out. I'll even slow down," I said. Both of them ignored me. “What have you been in?" She asked, nearly swooning from the excitement of it all. "Nothing yet," he said, undeterred. "I'm just getting into the business. I'm going to play a thug." "Hard to believe," I said turning us on to University AVE. "Can I come watch?" she asked, leaning forward just a little farther so she could place her hand on his arm. "Visit you on the set?" His giant smile looked clown like beneath the sunglasses. "I see what I can do" Dana returned the smile and leaned back. I nearly gagged. "Where am I going superstar?" I just enjoy this type of writing and hope that someday Shelby returns to this great world he has created. ( )
  ckNikka | Oct 4, 2008 |

Riding a wave of critical acclaim for his debut novel, Killer Swell (a Los Angeles Times and Denver Post bestseller), Jeff Shelby continues to dazzle with Wicked Break, his second book featuring P.I. and surfer Noah Braddock.

When Peter Pluto shows up at P.I. Noah Braddock’s apartment asking him to look for his missing younger brother, Linc, Noah is reluctant to take the case. After all, the last time he got involved in a disappearance case, his best friend, Carter, was shot and two other people died. But Peter describes Linc as a serious college student, so Noah reluctantly agrees.

As the investigation unfolds, Noah realizes there’s a lot more to Linc than academia—unless your average undergrad also happens to have skinheads beating down his door and a cache of semiautomatic guns stored in his apartment. Aided by Carter, Noah discovers that Linc stole some money from the white supremacist group National Nation, an offshoot of the Aryan Nation. The skinheads will stop at nothing to find Linc—and when Noah wakes up at the bottom of a canyon, beaten and bruised, with Peter Pluto’s corpse lying next to him, he realizes he’s next on their list.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

"Noah Braddock is just living from wave to wave for now, catching a nice break from his private eye business. After all, the last time he traded his surfboard for a gun, Carter Hamm, his wild and woolly best friend, nearly died. So when Peter Pluto shows up on Mission Beach asking Noah to look for his missing younger brother, Linc, Noah is reluctant to get involved. But Peter describes Linc as a serious college student, so Noah takes the case." "Noah quickly finds out that Linc Pluto is not your average undergrad - there's a pack of skinheads beating down his door and a cache of semiautomatic weapons stored in his apartment. Aided by Carter and a beautiful Rastafarian coed, Noah discovers that Linc stole some money from the white supremacist group National Nation. The skinheads will stop at nothing to find Linc - and when Noah wakes up at the bottom of a canyon, beaten and bruised, with Peter Pluto's corpse lying next to him, he realizes he's next on their list ... and in for the ride of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible