Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark)…

Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 9) (original 2004; edition 2003)

by Christine Feehan

1,196176,704 (3.86)15
Member:sidhevicious
Title:Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 9)
Authors:Christine Feehan
Info:Jove (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Paranormal Romance, Vampire

Dark Symphony by Christine Feehan (2004)

Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Play of Passion by Nalini Singh (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters

English (16)  German (1)  English (17)
I don’t approach the Carpathian books like most series I’m into. I enjoy the storyline, but find the sequels can be repetitive. It’s a series that, while I like it overall, I have no interest reading all the books. I wouldn’t have thought that’d be the way I’d feel about any series, but this one proved to be the exception.

Dark Symphony made itself sound different enough by the description – the heroine is not perfect. She is blind and someone’s trying to kill her. Byron was a familiar name since he was around since book one. I don’t know or care about a lot of the future characters, I never saw their glimpses in the earlier books, but with Byron he was always there so I was curious what happened to him.

He doesn’t make as appealing and sensual a leading male as Mikhail, Gregori, and some of the others, but it was a good change to find he didn’t aim to be a hunter and had a skill with jewel crafting and was valued for something different by his people. He’s more laid back, less jealous (although that’s there in ways as well) and more reasonable.

I did dislike that in the beginning Feehan established that they had met and had those first introductions off page. I always liked the beginning of the Carpathian novels where the male finally realizes he has found his lifemate through some revelation, first introduces himself to her, and it unfolds from there. We miss that here and it’s sad. He’s already in her life and it’s from her POV.

Antoinetta was a surprise. She was strong, controlled everything, generous and caring. She was actually not a virgin, which was a change, and wasn’t repelled by other men prior to meeting Byron, another change. It also never bothered Byron she’d been with other people (wow if you consider the other Carpathians.) She was 37 and older than most, without the perfect shape and waspish waist (yay!). The scene where she’s grieving and filling the house with her music, pounding non-stop on the piano, making those around her shudder and feel the depression by her talent at music alone was nifty.

I didn’t care much about the rest of the family at first, but they grew on me as they showed different sides. For a change they were as big a part of the story as the leading couple. We delightfully get to see Eleanor, Vlad and their adopted son make a return.

There’s a little too much sex and I skimmed most of that, but the larger story was cool and it was tough figuring out who the culprits were. There is actually no big bad vampire fight scene at the end for a change. A new touch is introduced into the storyline with the Jaguar race and the potential this holds.

The main reason I enjoyed this one was the humor. It was spot on and Feehan always had a knack with it. Josef, the adopted son, is hilarious. Him scaling up the wall thinking he’s spiderman and constantly falling was too funny.

It’s hard to keep a series fresh after so many books, but somehow Feehan manages to do it through experimentation and changing things up a little. It makes me want to hunt down some of the other series books I’ve left behind over the years.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Probably my least favorite of this series and I have read them all. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This is one of the best in the series, in large part because it departs from the usual formula in many ways. First, this is a tale of murder and intrigue - a true mystery story, complete with secrete passageways, poison in food, dark family secrets, and rivalry between wealthy families. Doesn't sound very familiar for a Carpathian novel, eh? On top of that, we have Byron - who apparently took the events in 'Dark Desire' way more seriously than the mentally-addled Jacques did, and somehow blames himself for a whole lot of baggage that probably doesn't exist. Nevertheless, it's turned him into a decent male, and he actually romances his lifemate - possibly more slowly than he actually needs to. As for her? She's incredibly intelligent, perceptive, and cautious - and blind. She's a concert pianist who was blinded as a child in a boat 'accident.' She's also part of an absurdly wealthy family. I don't want to say much more, because it would be a shame to give away any of the plot twists.

Byron himself is unusual - most of our male Carpathians up to this point have been hunters, and Byron has been doing some hunting, but he's not from a hunter FAMILY - he's a gemcaller, an artisan. Which is fantastic.

We get an introduction to the funniest Carpathian child ever, Joseph. And we get to meet Byron's sister and her lifemate - he's got a family. We don't get much more of a push on the series arc, but this book is definitely not one to skip.

This is Byron and Antonietta Scarletti's story. ( )
  WingedWolf | Jun 9, 2015 |
I love this series! This one was different from ones I've read previously and I really liked it. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 8, 2013 |
Really enjoyed it, like the rest of the series. I liked that it was a little different to the other with the Scarletti twist. I've already read the Scarletti Curse but it never mentioned anything about the Jaguars, so it was interesting to see that side of the story as well. ( )
  ElleLainey | Sep 15, 2013 |

Christine Feehanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evert, Brittasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book was written, with love, for my youngest daughter,
Cecelia, who has managed to inspire more than one character
for me! And also for Beverly Gladstone and her son, Tony.
Wishing you both all the best in the world.
Fog, thick and dense, blanketed the sky, muffling every sound.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515135216, Mass Market Paperback)

Blinded and scarred in a terrible accident, Antoinetta Scarletti made music that thrilled the world with its beauty and passion. Descended from a long line of psychics, Antoinetta has learned to rely on her other senses to “see” the world around her, but nothing could have prepared her for Byron. He came to her, drawn by her music, and became her secret obsession. Others fear him, sensing that he is dangerous—a predator—but for Antoinetta he is her ultimate fantasy, her dream lover. He woos her with kisses full of erotic allure, whispering that she is his light, his salvation. Byron has waited an eternity for her, and he will let nothing stand between him and the woman born to be his lifemate...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:53 -0400)

Antonietta Scarletti, a blind musician, gifted with psychic abilities, whose beautiful music has enchanted the world, finds her world forever changed by Byron, an immortal and darkly sensual Carpathian, who has come to claim her as his.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible