Wild Rain by Christine Feehan

This review contains SPOILERS****

Rachael Lospostos is leaving her old life behind by traveling to the rain forest (with a new name and a new identity) on a medical relief boat full of medical supplies for regions in need. When the boat she is on stops the passengers get ambushed by bandits with guns and Rachael flees into the rain forest. While hiding out in a tree house she falls asleep and gets woken by a leopard that attacks her by biting her leg. There is also a man there, with the leopards, who ends up tending to her injured leg. His name is Rio Santana and he seems quite at home in the forest. He gets on well with the leopards, walks around naked a lot, and is very mysterious. While recovering from her wounds Rachael finds herself trusting Rio. She feels like she knew him before---but that seems impossible. She would surely remember if she ever met a man like Rio. She ends up telling him her story of why she's on the run---she's trying to disappear because someone wants her dead. Rachael spent nearly a year preparing for this moment of escape. Now she has a price on her head because there is a huge reward for anyone who knows where she is. Rio then tells her his story---he murdered a man who killed his mother and afterwards Rio was banished from his people. Rachael and Rio also find they have many things in common.

Rachael and Rio were the perfect couple. They both seem to have memories of each other but this is the first time they met. Could it be they were lovers in a past life? When Rachael arrives at the rain forest she feels so comfortable there, alive, and at home. Then there's the story of the "leopard people" Rachael's mother used to tell her when she was young. Was it for real? Are there "leopard people"? Is Rio one of them?

I loved the descriptions of the rain forest. I felt like I was there with the soft, gentle rain always pouring down, the sounds of the animals and insects, the colors and smells of the forest, the humidity, etc...

This was an entertaining paranormal romance though it was very slow at times. The pace picked up a bit in the second half of the book. I liked the main couple. There were some references that Rachael and Rio could be a reincarnated couple---the flashbacks and memories they have of their life together in which they never experienced in this life... It was never fully explained.

They also were both shape-shifters...leopard people. This is the first book I've read in which the main couple shifted into leopards. Rachael wasn't aware that she was a shape-shifter until she arrived at the forest. Rio knew he was. I liked the part when Rachael first "shifted" and how happy she was when she was free to run wild in the forest.

An enjoyable read by Christine Feehan with steamy love scenes, great atmosphere, and some suspense. ( )
  SandraLynne | Feb 27, 2016 |
This is was actually better the 2nd time around. It was just okay on the first read and I kind of love it now. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
If you have read one shifter romance novel -- no matter the author -- you have read most shifter novels in the genre. This series is no different. Brain candy fluff for clearing my head. Easy to read. Not a lot of commitment required. ( )
  lesmel | Oct 24, 2014 |
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 8, 2013 |
This is the second story in the Leopard series. This is about Rio Santana and Rachel Lospostos. Rio is a wonderful character. I hurt for him because he is so lonely and doesn't even realize how lonely until Rachel shows up. Rio has lived by his self for years only interacting with the team of shifters that rescue hostages taken by bandits along the river near his rain forest home. He is a man that any of us reading this story would love in our home loving us as he does Rachel. He is caring, compassionate, honorable, and selfless in many ways. He also has a quick temper and a streak of jealousy that mark is kind. There is just something about a big cat shifter that makes me want to go out and find one and I hate mosquitoes.

Rachel has had a miserable and frightening childhood. She is intelligent and cunning. I admired the way she planned out disappearing into the rain forest. She was being hunted and needed to disapper and she made it happen. Rachel is feisty and loves the rain forest. I also liked that she was excepting of the who she really was and what that would entail. While loving, compassionate and a quick learner Rachel also has a temper and is a well trained fighter.

Ms. Feehan has captured the essence of the rain forest. I have to wonderful if she actually went to one and toured. All rain forests are dangerous not just for the predators and poisonous pants and animals but the human bandits and hostile natives. While Ms. Feehan captures all of that she also shows the reader the beauty that can be found. All of the characters in this books are people I would love to meet and sit down and spend hours listening to what the had to say. This is one of the author's gifts. Her villains are so bad that you are cheering the hero and heroine on while they outsmart said evil, vile personage and put a stop to his reign of terror. However the other characters are all intriguing and interesting. You want to know more about these people. You want for them to have happy and productive lives. It is a amazing gift and one that the great authors all have. Ms. Feehan is also not afraid to write about exotic locations that fire the imagination. She paints a picture with every scene showing the reader what life most be like for these characters. This is a wonderful story and a great addition to the series. I highly recommend it to all the paranormal fans out there. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jun 16, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515136824, Mass Market Paperback)

To escape an assassin, Rachel finds sanctuary in the rainforest, where the most exotic of all creatures walks: Rio. But when he unleashes his secret animal instincts, Rachel fears that her isolated haven could become an inescapable hell...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

Finding a safe haven in the rain forest from a relentless killer, Rachael, armed with a new identity, finds her peace shattered by Rio, an exotic native of the forest who harbors a dark secret.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible