The Aeneid (trans. West) by Virgil

The Aeneid (trans. West) (edition 1991)

by Virgil

17,379147175 (3.89)2 / 545
Robert Fagles is a highly celebrated poet and translator of ancient texts. He makes Virgil's wondrous epic feel utterly relevant and modern with this stunning treatment. It is the tale of Aeneas, who flees the smoldering ashes of Troy to found a new civilization -- Rome.
Member:Gypsy_Boy
Title:The Aeneid (trans. West)
Authors:Virgil
Info:Penguin Classics (1991), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:fiction (Classical)

The Aeneid by Virgil

The Iliad by Homer (inge87, HollyMS)
    The Odyssey by Homer (inge87, caflores)
    The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Dante, whose poetical muse was Virgil, makes himself the "hero" of this epic journey through not only Hell, but also Purgatory and Heaven -- a journey modeled to a certain extent on Aeneas's visit to the Underworld in the Aeneid. Dante's poem gives an imaginative depiction of the afterlife, which has both similarities and significant contrasts to Virgil's depiction of the pagan conception of what happens to the soul after death, and how that is related to the life that has been lived.… (more)
    The Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes (andejons)
    andejons: Both epics connects to the Iliad and the Odyssey, even if the Argonautica is a prequel of sorts and the Aeneid is a sequel. Also, both Jason and Aeneas as well as Medea and Dido shows similar traits.
    Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (rarm)
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques & Discoveries of the English Nation by Richard Hakluyt (KayCliff)
    Black Ships by Jo Graham (sturlington)

English (119)  Spanish (8)  French (7)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  Vietnamese (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (146)
Derivative. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I haven't read an epic poem since college. I forgot how bloody they can be. I read Aeneid to get the back story for my next opera, Les Troyens by Hector Berlioz. ( )
  pmtracy | Dec 17, 2019 |
I enjoyed reading the Aenid and I recommend the story. I do not recommend the Dryden translation for most people because it required a lot of attention (and sometimes re-reading) to understand the meaning of his poetry.

What I liked about the Aenid and what captured my interest the most was the gradual construction of Rome's founding mythology woven into the trials of the surviving Trojans. Stories that take the reader on a sojourn to discover continuity, ancient roots and arcane symbol associations between something well-known but imbued with meaning and history below its surface seem to tap into our psyche's need to divine order from the noise of a random universe.

I finished the Aenid right after finishing my first-ever read of The Iliad and The Odyssey. I read translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey by the same translator (Robert Fagles) but this copy of the Aenid was the Dryden translation which had a very different feel and pace to it than Fagles' much more modern style. I liked the poetry because it felt more poetic than Fagles' style, it was refreshing but also challenging at times.

The character of the Aenid was certainly different from that of both the Iliad and the Odyssey: this was a story about the underdog finding its rightful place in the world and mating a demigod with the unremarkable (but fertile) to remake itself into the domineering Roman Empire. Aeneas' colonization of the Latins was blessed (and even forced) by the Gods.

Much like the Iliad and the Odyssey, mischief and the balance of the scales is (conveniently) managed or set into motion by the Gods. This makes the poems difficult for me to find a good grounding on because if you accept the divinity and righteousness of the Gods then you can surrender most moral analysis and enjoy the poem as history written by the Gods themselves! However, considering the imperfections and immoralities of the Gods themselves makes the moral analysis of this poem much more complicated (when I have a coherent analysis, I will add it to this review). ( )
  pspringmeyer | Aug 29, 2019 |
This book is thousands of years old and a classic. It will not be everyone's cup of tea by any means. If you have an interest in ancient myths and legends and how they got their start, then this book is for you. Since this is translated from the original language, it may seem antiquainted in how it is written. Because of this, it may take time to get the meaning of what the author intended to say. The translator did a wonderful in trying to make it as understandable in modern English as possible. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book; I have no qualms with the translation of Robert Fagles, and I suppose the story is interesting enough. I'm no scholar so I have no preconceived notions of how this book should be. Fagles' translation is easy enough to understand, most of the problems occur with the names and places that I am unfamiliar with.

The protagonist goes by the name of Aeneas. As the son of Anchises and Venus, he is the demigod scion of Troy, the last of the line of Dardanus. All Aeneas wants to do is build a home for his Trojan refugees in Italy, but all the powers of heaven and hell go against him, mostly acting in the form of the Queen of the Gods, Juno. On the other hand, all of the other gods allow him to do stuff with his life, since it is his fate to build another city.

Juno has none of this though and fights it every step of the way. So we get a pretty good grounding in how terrible and frightening a goddess she is, but it is rather ridiculous how stupid she gets at times. It seems so petty. Then again, that is the name of the game with the Roman and Greek Pantheon. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole Trojan War over some beauty contest with an apple? And they offered Paris some awesome gifts as bribes, but he chose Venus since she gave him the most beautiful woman in the world?

Like I said, this is a ridiculous reason to commit Genocide on an entire tribe or race of people. I am sure there was a deeper meaning or something, but I haven't really read the Iliad yet. It references some of the events in that case though, the death of Hector, the death of Achilles...

As far as The Aeneid goes though, this book was written back in the day by a man known as Virgil and subsequently became quite popular even though it was unfinished. Virgil was still polishing the work to his dying day. You can tell too, since the book ends pretty abruptly. This particular copy contains; an introduction by some fellow named Bernard Knox, the entire text of The Aeneid, a translator's postscript, and a glossary of terms and pronunciations that doubles as the index. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |

Sisson, C. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ungaretti, GiuseppeForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaňorný, OtmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vivaldi, CesareTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vondel, J. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vretska, KarlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Wars and man I sing—an exile driven on by Fate, he was the first to flee the coast of Troy, destined to reach Lavinian shores and Italian soil, yet many blows he took on land and sea from the gods above—thanks to cruel Juno's relentless rage—and many losses he bore in battle too, beofe he could found a city, bring his gods to Latium, source of the Latin race, the Alban lords and the high walls of Rome.

A man leaves his home
and wanders with his people
and finds a new home.
(marcusbrutus)
Long search for new home
Old one ru'ned by Greek Gift Horse
Future lies with wolves
(pickupsticks)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440518, 0140449329, 0140455388, 0143105132, 0143106295

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300119046, 0300151411

Indiana University Press

An edition of this book was published by Indiana University Press.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,355,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible