The Aeneid: Vergil's Great Epic Poem…

The Aeneid: Vergil's Great Epic Poem Concerning the Adventures of the… (original 1916; edition 1961)

by Vergil, Patric Dickinson (Translator)

14,136115146 (3.9)2 / 466
Member:PhaedraB
Title:The Aeneid: Vergil's Great Epic Poem Concerning the Adventures of the Trojan Hero Aeneas in a New Translation by Patric Dickinson
Authors:Vergil (Author)
Other authors:Patric Dickinson (Translator)
Info:Mentor Books (1961), edition: 5th, paperback, 319 pages
Collections:Your library, deaccession, PEIB, packed
Tags:Rome ancient, antiquity, mythology, classical studies

The Aeneid by Virgil (Author) (1916)

The Iliad by Homer (inge87, yellville, Hollerama)
    The Odyssey by Homer (inge87, caflores)
    The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Dante, whose poetical muse was Virgil, makes himself the "hero" of this epic journey through not only Hell, but also Purgatory and Heaven -- a journey modeled to a certain extent on Aeneas's visit to the Underworld in the Aeneid. Dante's poem gives an imaginative depiction of the afterlife, which has both similarities and significant contrasts to Virgil's depiction of the pagan conception of what happens to the soul after death, and how that is related to the life that has been lived.… (more)
    The Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes (andejons)
    andejons: Both epics connects to the Iliad and the Odyssey, even if the Argonautica is a prequel of sorts and the Aeneid is a sequel. Also, both Jason and Aeneas as well as Medea and Dido shows similar traits.
    Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (rarm)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (Torikton)
    Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques & Discoveries of the English Nation by Richard Hakluyt (KayCliff)
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    Black Ships by Jo Graham (sturlington)

English (98)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (115)
While I've read both the Iliad and the Odyssey several times each, I've never gotten around to the Aeneid by Virgil, until now. The Aeneid is a sequel to the Iliad from a Trojan's point of view, specifically, Aeneus' wanderings after escaping the sacking of Troy. He is promised, by the gods, that he will found a new Troy in Latium (the future Rome), thus this epic, written during the time of Augustus Caesar, is a foundation story for the Roman Empire. It copies the structure and devices of its predecessors with the gods constantly interfering with Aeneas' mission because of their own petty quarrels, as well as wanderings from place to place, tragic loves, bloody battles between heroic men and even a trip to the underworld. In this book you'll find the description of Troy's destruction, the details about the Greek's devious ruse with the Wooden Horse, as well as the story of Dido the queen of Carthage who falls, to her own demise, in love with Aeneas. If the Aeneid is inferior to both the Iliad and the Odyssey, it is, nevertheless, enjoyable reading. I especially liked the depiction of Camilla, a female warrior that would give the Amazons a run for their money. ( )
  Marse | Mar 29, 2016 |
This is poetry, and is therefore harder for me to read. The introduction is very helpful; if doing it again, I would read the corresponding part prior to each book/chapter. The story is sort of a combination of the Iliad (war) and the Odyssey (travels). ( )
  jimmoz | Feb 29, 2016 |
I adored it. The thing is, my original area of expertise when I majored in history was going to be ancient history, with a focus on Roman history. I have always been in love with Ancient Rome and so it was a perfect fit to choose this book. I have read the Iliad and the Odyssey over the years, and in fact bought the three of them as a set, but I never got around to reading the Aeneid.

My copy of the book had notes on each of the sections, giving a brief summary of what happened in the books and who everyone in each section was. The way I read this book was to read those one at a time, and after reading the summary, I'd go on to read the section. It helped me to stay on task and stay within the story because I already had a general idea of who was who.

The hardest part of reading this book for me, had to be the importance listened on the people who played very minor roles and the locations that those people were from. It is hard to understand the cultural importance of these long forgotten names and places when we are not part of the society that would have valued them. But, thankfully, the author was happy to provide that importance in the summary which is why I found it so important to read that section.

I am not over the unfairness that Dido suffered, nor do I think I ever will be. My girl got screwed so badly in this all because of some dude. But to be fair, he wasn't the one who messed everything up for her. In good news, it did give me an idea of a fun short story to write, but I don't know how I'll figure it out. Oh well, it's fun to have.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sword fighting, sweet smack talk (Aeneas is a GENIUS with this) and who wants to see a master work through his craft. But really, it's just a great book. Like you can enjoy it as a classic, and as a masterpiece but it is also just a great read. You have this epic journey that has been given to them by the Gods, and the Gods can't decide who gets to do what, and they're all fighting and causing drama. Juno is just wrecking the place non stop whenever she can and then trying to talk her way out of it. And you have Aeneas who just wants to settle down and start a new Troy but people keep challenging him and making stuff for him difficult, and he's not gonna turn away. He's sarcastic and a loving father, and has no hesitation for talking shit in battle. It was great.

I chose to listen to the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack on Pandora while reading, because it provided the perfect background music without being distracting. And really, epic music plus an epic book led to the best experience. Hopefully someone makes this a movie and we can enjoy it in all it's Glory. But to do that they need to include all the stuff with the God's fighting because it's GLORIOUS!

10/10 would recommend to read and would read again. ( )
  EdwardJWhite | Feb 24, 2016 |
Another classic! Interesting to hear the Trojan side of this and also the slightly different Roman Gods. Aeneas is a great hero and the story suitably epic! ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
He got there in the end, did Aeneas. Battered in Troy, he overcame all that was before him on the way to Rome. Dido turned out to be very aggrieved. The last six books overdid the blood and gore. Poor Turnus was slain. The word emulously recurred and the earth groaned and moaned a lot. Super journey, however; we all make these journeys but with less excitement and spillage of limbs and blood. Not sure what Virgil would have thought of just a 4 star rating. ( )
  jon1lambert | Dec 15, 2015 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Wars and man I sing—an exile driven on by Fate, he was the first to flee the coast of Troy, destined to reach Lavinian shores and Italian soil, yet many blows he took on land and sea from the gods above—thanks to cruel Juno's relentless rage—and many losses he bore in battle too, beofe he could found a city, bring his gods to Latium, source of the Latin race, the Alban lords and the high walls of Rome.
Bibliographic data is for this edition of The Aeneid only.
A man leaves his home
and wanders with his people
and finds a new home.
(marcusbrutus)
Long search for new home
Old one ru'ned by Greek Gift Horse
Future lies with wolves
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679729526, Paperback)

Arma virumque cano: "I sing of warfare and a man at war." Long the bane of second-year Latin students thrust into a rhetoric of sweeping, seemingly endless sentences full of difficult verb forms and obscure words, Virgil's Aeneid finds a helpful translator in Robert Fitzgerald, who turns the lines into beautiful, accessible American English. Full of betrayal, heartache, seduction, elation, and violence, the Aeneid is the great founding epic of the Roman empire. Its pages sing of the Roman vision of self, the Roman ideal of what it meant to be a citizen of the world's greatest power. The epic's force carries across the centuries, and remains essential reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

A new edition of Virgil's epic work is presented in modern language and endeavors to retain the original work's humanity, as well as its influential blend of poetry and verse.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440518, 0140449329, 0140455388, 0143105132, 0143106295

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300119046, 0300151411

Indiana University Press

An edition of this book was published by Indiana University Press.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible