Lair of the Lion by Christine Feehan

Lair of the Lion (2002)

by Christine Feehan

Recently added byRena37, thogodesarah, samgoh99, AshleyPape, private library, BookHavenAZ

Seeking help for her imprisoned brother the heroine makes the trek up to the forbidden and secluded valley of the hero. She's immediately aware of an evil presence and heavy black cloud that surrounds the house. The hero agrees to free her bother only if she agrees to marry him. He's aware that he's cursed to live as a beast and has shut himself away to avoid frightening his people. When people look at him they see a frightening lion but not the heroine. Immediately, they develop a connection and lust for one another but they have to deal with the evil presence that wants to kill the heroine before she can lift the curse. It's a very dramatic story and at times I found myself rolling my eyes. Every chapter the heroine finds her life in danger and afterwards the hero is pushing her away and demanding her to leave the valley. This series of events repeated itself so many times that became stupid. One time, the heroine found herself in danger from being hit by a broom stick. And the hero acted like she had a knife to her throat! Also, the damn lions are running around completely free, terrorizing the heroine but nobody ever thinks to lock them away until they figure out what's making them crazy!! They only put them away when the other Don comes to valley to deliver her brother. No, instead they just let them run free and hope that when they do attack the heroine the hero will be there to control them. The heroine became quite stupid as the story went on. At first I liked her honesty, her backbone and her willingness to see the hero as he truly was. But she had this habit of becoming angry when the other people were afraid of the hero. He's told her and everyone else has told her that he's crazy, he looks like a lion to them and he's destined to hurt or even kill her. Wouldn't you be afraid of him too? I did like that this book was set in Italy but my god it's they are a bunch of dramatic characters. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
A nice spin on Beauty and the Beast. ( )
  giraffkrzy | Feb 17, 2016 |
Disclaimer: I got this book from the public library and have received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

My paranormal romance reads so far this last half of the year have not been disappointing. See, browsing a library can bring good things your way.

This is not one of her more recent works (Lair of the Lion was published in 2010) but it still has all the hallmarks of Feehan's style that I enjoy.

The heroine in this story is not shrinking violet which was fun to watch as she pitted her will against the hero/antihero, Don Nicolai DeMarco's "cursed" existence. The characters were complex and pretty well developed so that I didn't feel like I was reading about "token fodder" for the sake of the plot.

There were a few twists that I honestly didn't see coming and can't list because they would spoil the book.

Would I recommend this? Yes, especially for those who love saucy heroines. ( )
  kishazworld | Nov 17, 2015 |
The DeMarco family lives with an ancient deadly curse in a secluded valley high in the mountains, in a land filled with magic. Damned by their very own ancestor to never be seen as a man by others and to repeat the history of betrayal and brutally murdering the one they love.

Isabella Vernaducci, determined to save her brother's life, has overcome every obstacle set before her to beg the elusive Don Nicolai DeMarco to save Lucca from the twisted Don Revellio. Vowing to trade her life for his and to serve the dangerous Don in whatever way he sees fit.

An evil entity awakens as soon as Isabella enters the DeMarco valley, determined to destroy her. Can Isabella and Nicolai break the centuries old curse or will she be slain, her soul trapped in the valley for eternity, never finding peace, along with all of the others?

I really enjoyed this book. It is a beauty and the beast type scenario with enemies turning up around every corner. Danger and romance fill this page turner. ( )
  xscrtchxx | May 22, 2014 |
I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I began this book. I’m not usually a “romance” reader. It was suggested to me by someone who knows my reading habits. She told me that Feehan was “paranormal before it was cool”. She was dead on in her recommendation. I loved the book!! My best description is a mash up of Beauty and the Beast and Adult Romance with a paranormal theme. Once I had read the first 30 pages or so I was hooked! ( )
  kmurray_69 | Oct 8, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 084395048X, Mass Market Paperback)

Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci will defy death itself to rescue her imprisoned brother. She'll even brave the haunted, accursed lair of the lion--the menacing palazzo of legendary, lethal Don Nicolai DeMarco. Rumor says the powerful don can command the heavens, that the beasts below do his bidding...and that he is doomed to destroy the woman he takes as his wife. But Isabella meets a man whose growl is velvet, purring heat, whose eyes hold dark, all-consuming desire. And when the don commands her to become his bride, she goes willingly into his muscled arms, praying she'll save his tortured soul...not sacrifice her life. Historical Romance Book Club Selection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci will do anything to free her imprisoned brother--even brave the menacing "palazzo" of the legendary "Don" Nicolai DeMarco. Rumor has it he will doom any woman he takes as his wife. When the "Don" commands Isabella to be his bride, she goes willingly--praying she can save his tortured soul.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,571,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible