Rusty Nail by J. A. Konrath

pretty gory - compared to the previous stories. sat on the edge of my seat a few times, hard to put down (other than to get a breather from the gore). cannot wait for the next one!! ( )
  khakimoose | Aug 24, 2017 |
J.A. Konrath is brutal. He can dream up some of the sickest, most twisted things I’ve ever seen in print (maybe a little bit of influence from Albert Fish here?). Yet it’s not overwhelming, tempered by Jack’s competency and sense of humor. These books keep me engaged, and there was a twist at the end of this one that I didn’t see coming until it was upon me. ( )
  miyurose | Jun 7, 2016 |
Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels of the Chicago Police Department is back, and once again she's up to her Armani in murder. Someone is sending Jack snuff videos. The victims are people she knows, and they share a common trait -- each was involved in one of Jack's previous cases. With her stalwart partner hospitalized and unable to help, Jack follows a trail of death throughout the Midwest, on a collision course with the smartest and deadliest adversary she's ever known. During the chase, Jack jeopardizes her career, her love life, and her closest friends. She also comes to a startling realization -- serial killers have families, and blood runs thick. ( )
  bpascoe | Apr 16, 2016 |
J. A. Konrath knows how to write a fast-reading-story! I finished this one as quickly as the other two, and am already looking forward to the next one. What CSI, Criminal Minds and Law & Order: SVU did for gruesome murder mysteries on television, Konrath does on paper. He goes just to the edge with his descriptions and personas, then ties it up nicely with a very satisfying ending. If you love a good mystery that doesn't hold back on the darkest side of killers, wrapped in humor and made personal, this is the series for you. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Book on CD read by Susie Breck and Dick Hill.

Book #3 in the mystery / thriller series featuring Chicago police Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels. A serial killer is on the loose and the murders bear an uncanny resemblance to those of the infamous Gingerbread Man. The killer taunts the police, and Jack in particular, with videos and obvious clues meant to lead them to the killer’s lair – so they can become the victims. Jack’s partner, Sergeant Herb Benedict, spends much of this novel in the hospital, so she is left to her own devices.

I’ve had it with this series. I don’t like the “banter” between Jack and Herb (or Harry or Latham or Phin); it is adolescent bathroom and bedroom humor at best. Jack is an idiot ... “Oh, should I call for back-up or go into that dark house by myself without a cell phone and with a sprained ankle?” She’s more concerned with ruining her Manolo Blahniks and her new Armani suit than with actually paying attention to the clues that are virtually slapping her in the face. I spotted the killer about 200 pages before the “brilliant” Jack figured it out.

I think the series is just Konrath’s excuse to write sadistic torture scenes. There’s just nothing imaginative or creative about the book. On the plus side, he does manage to write a fast-paced thriller. I finished it in two days.

The audio book is capably performed by Susie Breck and Dick Hill, though I find Hill’s voice irritating and too much the same to differentiate characters easily.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
RUSTY NAIL
1 oz. Scotch
1 oz. Drambuie
Pour ingredients over ice in an old-fashioned glass. Stir.
This book is for Mike Konrath, one of the coolest guys on the planet.
I love you like a brother.
The sound begins. Again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786890738, Mass Market Paperback)

Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels of the Chicago Police Department is back, and once again she's up to her Armani in murder. Someone is sending Jack snuff videos. The victims are people she knows, and they share a common trait -- each was involved in one of Jack's previous cases. With her stalwart partner hospitalized and unable to help, Jack follows a trail of death throughout the Midwest, on a collision course with the smartest and deadliest adversary she's ever known. During the chase, Jack jeopardizes her career, her love life, and her closest friends. She also comes to a startling realization -- serial killers have families, and blood runs thick. Rusty Nail features more of the laugh-out-loud humor and crazy characters that saturated Whiskey Sour and Bloody Mary, without sacrificing the nail-biting thrills. This is Jack Daniels' third, and most exciting, adventure yet!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

Lt. Jacqueline 'Jack' Daniels of the Chicago Police Department is back - and once again she's up to the neck of her Armani suit in murder. Someone is sending her snuff videos involving people she knows, all of whom share a common trait - all were involved in one of Jack's previous cases.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible