The Roundabout Man by Clare Morrall

The Roundabout Man (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Clare Morrall

Member:LBV123
Title:The Roundabout Man
Authors:Clare Morrall
Info:Sceptre (2012), Paperback, 324 pages
Rating:***
Tags:immortalized childhood, annoying siblings, orphans, mother (dreadful), gas station, making due, Christopher Robin on the lam

The Roundabout Man by Clare Morrall (2012)

A clever and involved story by Clare Morrall about a man, his real mother, father and triplet sisters, and the seemingly identical fictional family created by his author mother in her popular series ‘The Triplets and Quinn’. It is a gentle story which reels you in.
At the age of 60 Quinn is living in a caravan parked in the middle of a wooded roundabout. He enjoys the quiet and the solitude. He forages for items to reuse, and scavenges for leftover food at the nearby Primrose Valley service station. We learn he fled the family home, The Cedars, the setting for ‘The Triplets and Quinn’ series, after spending his adult years there caring for his eccentric widowed mother and showing fans of her stories around the house. The real story of this family has been subsumed by his mother’s fiction, easy answers to inquisitive fans who spout fiction as if it is reality, and his unwillingness to face up to unpalatable truths.
As real life and his mother’s fiction merge in Quinn’s head, it is a while before Quinn (and we) start to piece together the real story. Meanwhile real life intrudes at the roundabout and Quinn is forced to socialise with the service station employees. When, individually, his sisters visit him, he ends up with no answers and more questions. Why did his parents foster so many disadvantaged children, and then seem not to care about them? Was the story about the fictional Quinn’s kidnap as a baby based on a true event? And are the casseroles, left anonymously on his caravan doorstep, left there by foster child Annie of whom Quinn has fond memories?
Yet again, another delightful novel from Clare Morrall. She is so good at delving into human nature, family connections and the unintended misunderstandings and mis-firings which can affect a person’s life. Is it too late for Quinn? With his parents, Mumski and the Professor dead, is the truth out of reach?
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Jan 12, 2017 |
'The Triplets and Quinn'.

I enjoyed the audio version of this book, excellently read by Gordon Griffin. It was light enough to entertain me whilst driving, while having some deeper messages to make it worthwhile.

The Roundabout Man of the title, is none other than Quinn Smith, depicted in his mother's popular series of childrens' books, as a scruffy-haired little boy with falling-down socks. When we meet him he is nearing 60 and desperate to separate himself from this huge persona.
He now lives where no-one will ever look for him - in a caravan, in the centre of a roundabout.
Unfortunately one person does track him down, a nosey young magazine reporter, whose article sends his life spiralling in totally unforeseen directions.

The motorway service station, just off the roundabout, is his source of food, warmth and contact with people. But what starts out as an impersonal, transitory, brick building, turns out to house an interesting secondary family.

'The Triplets and Quinn' series also features Quinn's triplet sisters, who appeared to be close as children but seem to have fractured apart as adults.
Larissa Smith, their mother and the author of the famous series, writes knowledgeably about childhood adventures, yet seems totally unable to care for and love her own children.

Clare Morrall writes beautifully about isolation and the longing for a mother, but the reason given for why Larissa was so distant was the weak link for me. Otherwise, this was an excellent read from an interesting author.

Also read by Clare Morrall:
The Language of Others (5 stars) ( )
  DubaiReader | Jun 27, 2016 |
This isn’t a book with much suspense in it but it did hold my interest, partly because of the way Morrall builds Quinn’s character, partly because of Morrall’s once again effective style and partly because of resonance in the themes such as the total undesirability of losing one’s faculties in ageing, an issue that arises as soon as the second page.

Ironically, since it is a reporter writing about Quinn that brings about the severe assault on him, Morrall perhaps got quite a few of her ideas from the newspaper herself. The building of a house and then disguising it behind hay bales in order to circumvent planning regulations seems very close to the actual case in England that was occurring around the time she was writing this novel. I guess if it hadn’t been so fully covered in the press subsequently, I wouldn’t have heard of it but, with it prominently n my mind, I couldn’t help feeling a bit let down by this sequence, insignificant as it was to the book as a whole. I think it’s just that Morrall likes the quirky and saw the opportunity here.

It was interesting to have Quinn’s thoughts so exposed yet not someone the reader understands for a lot of the book. After his kind treatment of others, I was surprised to find his own lack of confidence and his insecurity. I think Morrall draws he reader closer to him but having him revise his first, dismissive assessment of Amanda and I found myself interested in their subsequent, gradual exchange of information, one of Morrall’s ways of revealing Quinn’s past.

This is a gentle book, its tone coming from the author’s creation of Quinn and the support he gets from those at the service station. I particularly liked Morrall’s description of these ubiquitous places: ‘concrete buildings [that] huddle together like an apologetic cluster of bricks dumped at the edge of a building site. The cars that line themselves up in neat rows are there only to draw a breath, never intending to take longer than a brief pause on their way to somewhere else’. I think this personification of the buildings and cars somehow helps to convey the bleakness.

Perhaps less successful was the characterisation of two major characters: Larissa, Quinn’s mother and Amanda, the manageress of the service station. Both were extremes – the mother of total neglect of her children and Amanda of being just too warm-hearted and tolerant in the end even though I enjoyed scenes with her in them.

This is a rather sentimental exploration of relationships but I think it works. ( )
  evening | Apr 23, 2016 |
As usual, Clare Morrall features a socially isolated person as the main character who is at the borderline of 'normality'. Of course, I read and enjoy her books because I identify with such people, but I reckon there are a lot others who find a similar connection, at least in some aspects. For example, many people probably feel estranged from their siblings or their parents and find themselves a little confused by that feeling of estrangement. I reckon Morrall excels in the way she narrates the one-to-one interactions between individuals. There's not just dialog, but also what is going on in one person's head - and what they think is going on in the other person's head.
I suppose the weaknesses of her work are the unlikely twists and turns in the plot, and the unreality of the basic story (and maybe the predictability of the story....but life is predictable, isn't it?), but for me that doesn't get in the way too much. There's plenty of reality there to keep me satisfied.Keep going Clare! Don't let that lymphoma get the better of you. ( )
  oldblack | Aug 12, 2014 |
Another great novel from Clare Morrall who is fast becoming one of my favourite writers. In this one we meet Quinn, aged 60 and living in a caravan concealed on a traffic island. He survives by foraging for food in the bins at a nearby motorway service station and doesn’t consider himself a tramp.

It isn’t really a story about rough living, more about the past that Quinn is seeking to escape from. It turns out that his mother was a very successful children’s novelist who fictionalised the lives of her four children, which made them rich but had detrimental effects on their lives in other ways. A bit like the real Christopher Robin I suppose – I read somewhere that he was less than impressed with the way his childhood had become public property – so I guess the author is on firm ground here.

The way the phenomenon of the fictional books is delivered is particularly impressive – the reader gets a real sense of them, with their irresistible mix of whimsy and adventure set within the bubble of an idyllic 1950s childhood. I thought initially they were supposed to be a thinly veiled “Famous Five” series – the characters even consume “lashings of ginger beer”, but towards the end Enid Blyton herself is referenced, as though to make it clear that they are not. With film adaptations and computer games and obsessive fans across the world, it is clear to the reader what a massive burden Quinn and his sisters have had to bear.

Whilst a thoroughly engaging read, I found some apects of the novel disappointing. The action, with one or two exceptions, is very low key and it doesn’t really build to any kind of crescendo. The explanation offered for Quinn’s mother’s indifference towards him, and boys in particular, felt weak. And some of the goings-on at the service station, whilst interesting in a way (I haven’t read many books centred around service stations and the attempt to give this one a personality and a heart was admirable) weren’t always believable. Would the assistant really have left her two kids in the care of a homeless guy all day?

Looking back, what I liked most about this novel was the thing I have liked about all her others – the way she zeroes in on people in society who are different in some way, and examines the challenges they face in a compelling and readable way. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jan 3, 2014 |

Who is the Roundabout Man? He calls himself Quinn, the name of a boy in a world-famous series of children's books. What he hopes no one will discover is that he's the real Quinn, immortalised as a child by his mother in her entrancing tales about a little boy's adventures with his triplet sisters.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,507,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible