Midnight Promises (Sweet Magnolias) by…

Midnight Promises (Sweet Magnolias) (edition 2012)

by Sherryl Woods

Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Midnight Promises (Sweet Magnolias)
Authors:Sherryl Woods
Info:
Collections:read
Rating:*****

Midnight Promises by Sherryl Woods

I love this Sweet Magnolia series. I forget how much till the next book comes along and then I can't put it down till I have finished it and then i am sad that I am done.

This is the story of Karen and Elliot and how no matter how much you love each other you must work at marriage.

Karen came into this marriage with 2 children and although their 'real dad' is not in the picture Karen is afraid to let Elliot adopt them. Then there is Elliott and the other 'men' who want to open a men's gym and Elliott being the man keeps things from Karen.

But the best part is catching up with everyone from the last 7 books. Although I think Sherryl did us an injustice by not doing a mini book about the Vegas trip and just kind of throwing it in at the end.

Very excited to hear we have more books coming. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Midnight Promises by Sherryl Woods
SubTitle: A Sweet Magnolia Novel
ISBN: 9780778313489
Once again we find ourselves back in Serenity. This book concentrates on Karen and her marriage to Elliot. She still works in the kitchen of Sullivan's restaurant and he works at the corner spa helping where needed.
He's neglected to tell Karen, his wife about the funding he's going to get to start a man's gym in town with backing from the woman's spa.
Her ex mother in law, Frances is going through forgetfullness/Alzheimers and her friends are concerned.
There are other problems with the finances with others in the group also.
His sister is also going through marital problems. Others come to her aid in hopes they can fix them.
What a concept. the trip of a lifetime!
The Letting go of the past, forgiveness and moving on with your life and that of your family...
Love how the title of the book says it all. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
This was a very easy-read with great intricate characters. The writing was light and easy to follow but still had valuable characters that hit on different emotions throughout the read.

I have always loved the Sweet Magnolia's and this book was no exception, however, sometimes I wanted to scream at Karen (one of the main characters) well more often than not, because I felt that she was always jumping to conclusions and just flat out being whiny and unfair to her poor husband who was only try to help! I did not find Karen to be a very likable character!

The story was one that just about every married couple can identify with, I just had a hard time continuing, time after time, to be empathetic with Karen and her jumping to conclusions and comparing situations that were in no way similar! I found myself staying aggravated throughout most of the story, HOWEVER, it WILL NOT stop me from reading the next story and getting excited to meet the next Sweet Magnolia couple! ( )
  acorley84 | Apr 7, 2013 |
Midnight Promises by Sherryl Woods is the eighth book in The Sweet Magnolias series. I haven't read any of the first seven books in this series. However after I finished this book I knew this would be a series I'd like to read. Mainly because
1. Woods writes in a way that you could pick up any book in the series and not feel lost. I love it when authors do this. I can't tell you how many series I've read out of order, and not every series is like this.
2. Woods deals with real issues. Elliot and Karen are newly married and trying to build a life together. The issues they deal with seem very realistic and common to a lot of people. This really helped me connect with the characters.
3. The friendships that the women have. They have each other's back! They root for each other's success. Give (sometimes) unwanted advice. They are there for each other in good times and bad. Think Steel Magnolias or the Divine Sisters of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.
4. Margarita night. This book made me want to host my own margarita night.
5. Relationships. Woods deals with all sorts of relationships in this book: mothers, daughters, sisters, brothers, cousins, friends, husbands, wives. Relationships can be complicated, and Woods really brings to the forefront the ups and downs life can bring us.
Overall this is an enjoyable book. I'm definitely going to continue with this series, as well as go back and read the first seven books. I've enjoyed getting 'to know' several of the characters. I look forward to learning more about their stories. ( )
  mt256 | Sep 23, 2012 |
4 STARS
This is the second book of A Sweet Magnolia Novel now that I have read and like them.
I had put off reading this for along time for some reason. But I really got caught up in the story. I like the group of women and the men and how supporting they are all to each other. Thier is one main couple the story follows. But thier is a whole community that are part of the story.
Elliott Cruz is married to Karen. Elliott is from a strong catholic family whos family does not believe in divorce. Karen is a divorced mother of two little kids and has some hang ups from her first marriage when her husband got her into debt and than left her with it.
The story starts with Elliott and Karen getting married and then jumps forward a couple of years.
Elliott is keeping secrets from Karen till he has everything worked out so she won't worry. A few people want to open a men's gym and have him run it. Before Elliott has a chance to tell Karen someone else at her work knew about it. Even her boss knows about it before her.
Karen does not want to wrisk her baby fund or morgage thier house. She does not handle the idea of more debt easly.
Karen is also not wanting to deal with Elliott wanting to adopt her children. She is afraid he is being too much like his father.
They are having real issues told in away that makes you want everything to work out for them. You also want good things for the rest of the characters in thier lives.
I sure like Francis and the other supporting cast.
I look forward to reading more Sweet Magnolias story in the future. I was given this ebook to read in exchange for honest review from Netgalley.
06/19/2012 PUB Harlequin HarlequinMira ISBN 9780778313489 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jul 3, 2012 |

Elliott Cruz and Karen Ames find their marriage threatened by financial insecurity and colliding dreams until Elliott's brother's infidelity puts their seemingly irreconcilable differences into perspective.

Sherryl Woods is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible