Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M.…

Silently and Very Fast (edition 2011)

by Catherynne M. Valente

Title:Silently and Very Fast
Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Info:WSFA Press (2011), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 127 pages
Tags:science fiction

Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente

Hmm. This is an SF fairy tale, and is very art-y.

I liked it, but I can definitely see how it would be polarizing! ( )
  adamwolf | Nov 24, 2015 |
Novellas can't really afford to sacrifice story for overly detailed descriptions of non-events. Unfortunately, this one seems to do only that and not much more. The very slight hint at a story seemed only to exist in service of mythologies that never really take hold. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |
Cat Valente has a gift for myth. She is inspired by it, she works with it, she weaves into new and strange configurations and leaves the reader to work out where they've got to and how they feel about it.

Nominally a story about an AI who dreams of communion with its own kind trying to integrate with a new and unwilling operator, this is more a coming of age story about innocence and experience. It is barely recognizable as an AI tale at all, couched within a rich and fluid dreamscape and communicated in part through co-opted fairytales.

I loved it, but I can't resist a good bit of myth. I sensed Neva's secret almost from the start, but the journey from the AI's creation to Elefsis's understanding of its future was fulfilling and distracting. Arguably the only missing but highly implicit tale was Pinocchio; but here it is the operators who want a real boy, not the puppet. Elefsis is self defined and alive on its own terms and cannot really understand that the Other is alien and threatening. It just wants someone like it to talk to.

I found it a gorgeously imaginative story about the birth of a new intelligence. Appropriately, it's got a lot of heart, albeit with jagged edges. ( )
  imyril | Jan 14, 2015 |

This is one of the stories where I can see why people would enjoy it. The language is very evocative and packed with images, metaphor and associative language, but in my case it failed to ressonate. It's clearly art, but I find with books this kind of impressionist approach they don't always hit home with me. Perhaps they hit the wrong notes or wake the wrong kind of association.

Sometimes a book and a reader is not right for each other and it isn't anyone's fault.

StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
Altogether elsewhere, vast
Herds of reindeer move across
Miles and miles of golden moss,
Silently and very fast.
—W.H. Auden, The Fall of Rome
Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

—John Webster, The Duchess of Malfi
For Dmitri, who has been waiting for this book for a long time.
Inanna was called Queen of Heaven and Earth, Queen of Having a Body, Queen of Sex and Eating, Queen of Being Human, and she went into the underworld in order to represent the inevitability of organic death.

Fantastist Catherynne M. Valente takes on the folklore of artificial intelligence in this brand new, original novella of technology, identity, and an uncertain mechanized future. Neva is dreaming. But she is not alone. A mysterious machine entity called Elefsis haunts her and the members of her family, back through the generations to her great-great grandmother-a gifted computer programmer who changed the world. Together Neva and Elefsis navigate their history and their future, an uneasy, unwilling symbiote. But what they discover in their dreamworld might change them forever . . .

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible