No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

I wanted to read this novel because I am an avid fan of E.A.P., even though I haven't read the novel that was this novel's namesake. I do know what happens in the E.A.P version. Reading this made me wonder whether or not this book would be considered fan fiction and where the fan fiction line is drawn, with age? with the genre? Just something I was thinking about.

I enjoyed the glitz and the glam in this book, I like the way the glitter and the circumstance juxtaposed off the crumbling ruins of the city and the people. I definitely loved WIll, even with what he does in the end, I get it, it sucks, but I get it. I think I like April, she seems pretty straight forward.

I did not like Elliot, he always seemed so fake and almost as crazy as his lunatic uncle. I think if Araby ends up with him I will throw the book. I also did not like the cliff hanger. I really hate the trend of leaving YA novels on a cliff hanger. There is nothing happy for now about that ending.

I liked how this book is set in a sort of steam-punk way and its like the gothic for this age, it's new, fresh, something that is coming back in style and I love how that corresponds with E.A.P's novels, his stories were sort of out of the norm, just coming into fashion and such when he was writing.

I wanted to feel that sense of awe and mystery you get from the end of E.A.P's Red Death (I read some of it, ok), and I almost had it at the end of the story right before the part with the ship...but it slipped through my fingers. I think that with some more time Ms. Griffin will definitely be able to achieve that. I am aware by not having read all of E.A.P's story I probably missed a lot of undertone and such from this book. I am sorry I can't offer that insight here in this review. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I didn't like this novel nearly as much as I thought I would...while all the elements of a strong story were there - a mysterious disease killing at random, a love triangle, complicated politics, and a main character at the focus of several divergent interests. For me, however, the characters kinda fell flat and were maybe just a little too depressed all around? ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 16, 2014 |
Severely disappointed by this book.

Araby Worth (my gosh, what a ridiculous name to begin with - last name Worth to hint at her apparent usefulness despite her lackluster in life?) is a suicidal poet girl who languishes in a post-apocalyptic world where the air isn't safe to breathe. She finds it hard to muster up the will to do anything except go to a club called Debauchery and immerse herself in oblivion. Her claim to fame is that she is the daughter of the man who made masks - which help filter the air.

The plot takes her to meet up with Elliot, the nephew of the villain Prince Prospero who has a tyrannical control over the entire city. She is quickly brought into the folds of a conspiracy and has to assume the guise of his fiance, all while harboring feelings for another boy. Oh, and of course she doesn't like being touched. But it's fine if it's a boy kissing her, naturally.

Cliche teen romance without any spunk from the protagonist. And what's more, boys fall in love for her being beautiful with vacant eyes. Ridiculous. No depth. Dull except for the world building.

So much potential in the world though! Ceramic masks and lovely images of a broken world with the rich draped in whale bone corsets and long flowing skirts and streaks of violet in the hair. A tyrant villain with a masquerade party. Ah what wasted potential. Poor execution, characters that I have no sympathy for, scenes that drag on, and way too many unnecessary kissing scenes. I love romance and kisses as much as the next girl, but ones that are thrown in there just to show that she's attracted to two guys, hmm not for me.

One star because I couldn't even bear to fully read the second half of the story. Read only if you feel like reading about a fairly dimwitted protagonist and can stomach a sappy romance against a beautiful backdrop. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Severely disappointed by this book.

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Looking forward to book 2.
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

In this twist on Edgar Allen Poe's gothic short story, a wealthy teenaged girl who can afford a special mask to protect her from the plague that decimated humanity in the mid-1800s, falls in love, becomes caught up in a conspiracy to overthrow an oppressive government, and faces the threat of a new plague.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,049,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible