No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

I was surprised at how much I liked it, as I was worried it would be a disappointment. Great pacing, fast paced, and a lot of "Oh cool" world building stuff. Not as much of an emotional punch as I would have liked it to have, but good twists at the end. Looking forward to the sequel ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
So I had heard a lot of great things about this book for so long and that cover was so amazing I bought it. Thing is, it joined all the other books I bought and sat on my shelf for awhile. Then Halloween came along and I knew I had to read this every book to get in the spirit. I'm so glad I did because I really enjoyed this!

I'm not sure how many of the people who read this have read the original story [b:The Masque of the Red Death|204779|The Masque of the Red Death|Edgar Allan Poe|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1172667858s/204779.jpg|15568908] by [a:Edgar Allan Poe|4624490|Edgar Allan Poe|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1315307900p2/4624490.jpg], but I strong recommend you do. It's not that you'd have a hard time understanding this novel otherwise, but I just think it adds to the story. I'm impressed by how the author wove the original story in and stretched it to cover two books. The main "party" which was my favorite part of the book is the majority of the second book, or so I hear, so I wasn't sure how the pacing would be but it was flawless.

The only reason I gave this four stars was because in the beginning I had a hard time with the MC attitude and her drug use. The drug use was unexpected and difficult in the beginning. I did appreciate her growing from it though. I know everyone has something they prefer not o read about, and drug use is mine. There is a personal/family issue as the reason, but through no fault of the author I almost abandoned this book because I didn't know how heavy the drug use would be. Fortunately it contained very little substance abuse/addict behavior. Just enough, actually as any more and I would've abandoned it.

I love how I completely changed teams from Will to Elliott by the end. Although I'm not a fan of love triangles, this one wasn't totally barf-worthy.. I can't wait to read the sequel!

You need to read this book! It was a lot of fun and definitely something different from what I've been reading in YA lately. One of the best retellings I've ever read. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
This is a very dark book for a YA book. Dark as Harry Potter - but it seems more real. I'll unfortunately drag myself through the rest of the series. Because there's more. ( )
  remikit | Jun 6, 2015 |
I was interested to read this book because it was supposed to be a loose retelling of the Poe story. I really wanted to like the book but the ending just ruined it for me. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I wanted to read this novel because I am an avid fan of E.A.P., even though I haven't read the novel that was this novel's namesake. I do know what happens in the E.A.P version. Reading this made me wonder whether or not this book would be considered fan fiction and where the fan fiction line is drawn, with age? with the genre? Just something I was thinking about.

I enjoyed the glitz and the glam in this book, I like the way the glitter and the circumstance juxtaposed off the crumbling ruins of the city and the people. I definitely loved WIll, even with what he does in the end, I get it, it sucks, but I get it. I think I like April, she seems pretty straight forward.

I did not like Elliot, he always seemed so fake and almost as crazy as his lunatic uncle. I think if Araby ends up with him I will throw the book. I also did not like the cliff hanger. I really hate the trend of leaving YA novels on a cliff hanger. There is nothing happy for now about that ending.

I liked how this book is set in a sort of steam-punk way and its like the gothic for this age, it's new, fresh, something that is coming back in style and I love how that corresponds with E.A.P's novels, his stories were sort of out of the norm, just coming into fashion and such when he was writing.

I wanted to feel that sense of awe and mystery you get from the end of E.A.P's Red Death (I read some of it, ok), and I almost had it at the end of the story right before the part with the ship...but it slipped through my fingers. I think that with some more time Ms. Griffin will definitely be able to achieve that. I am aware by not having read all of E.A.P's story I probably missed a lot of undertone and such from this book. I am sorry I can't offer that insight here in this review. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |

In this twist on Edgar Allen Poe's gothic short story, a wealthy teenaged girl who can afford a special mask to protect her from the plague that decimated humanity in the mid-1800s, falls in love, becomes caught up in a conspiracy to overthrow an oppressive government, and faces the threat of a new plague.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible