Darkhouse by Alex Barclay

Darkhouse

by Alex Barclay

184764,254 (3)1

English (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (7)
Yes I really did read this in two evenings. The story was interesting and you always knew there was more to it than met the eye at that moment. I really liked it that the action moved so quickly, without really missing a beat and without going to fast. I think it was more realistic with regards to the son’s actions than the father’s. I think Joe was just a tad over the top. I also loved the ME’s reaction to the impromptu meeting—some authors would have either not put that in at all or would have taken it too far but Barclay tossed it in just right. ( )
  debavp | Jul 17, 2012 |
A surprisingly violent first novel for a female author, set partly in Ireland and NYC/Texas, following parallel stories of two low-life Texas misfits and Joe Lucchesi, ex-NYC cop now living with his wife and daughter in Ireland and the way their lives intersect. Although I finished the book quite quickly over a Bank Holiday weekend, I didn't find the character of Joe especially sympathetic or even believable. One of the late revealed villains was telegraphed fairly early on, albeit not the exact nature, but you always felt he was involved somehow and puzzled why other characters didn't see it and check him out earlier! Overall a bit disappointing relative to the reviews. ( )
  edwardsgt | Aug 29, 2011 |
I wasn't sure, when I bought this, off a sale table at a book store, if Alex Barclay was a male or a female. Having read the book I had to look her up online to discover that she is indeed female. This was her first book, and I've already requested her next book at my local library.

This was excellent! I really enjoyed it, and now I can't wait for more of her writing.
  wiccked | Apr 2, 2010 |
Few more thrills would've made this a riveting tale. ( )
  xavierroy | Jul 29, 2008 |
‘The sea rises, the light fails, lovers cling to each other, and children cling to us. The moment we cease to hold each other, the moment we break faith with one another, the sea engulfs us and the light goes out.’

JAMES ARTHUR BALDWIN
To Brian, my hero
To my parents
Prologue:

New York City

Edgy hands slid across the narrow belt, securing it in place on the tiny eight-year-old waist.
Text:

‘Shut up, you fuckin' freak. ...’

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0007195370, Paperback)

EVERYTHING YOU NEVER EXPECTED. Escaping New York for the beautiful Irish Isle seemed the best way to escape the past for NYPD detective Joe Lucchesi and his family. But following the death of a girl in the local village, Joe soon finds out that the killer is closer to his past than he would care to remember. From a broken childhood comes an unbreakable and deadly bond. In 1985 in a North Texas backwater, two teenage boys made a chilling pact that would unite them forever in a dark and twisted loyalty. Now one lies dead. And the man responsible is going to pay. When a routine investigation comes to a violent and tragic end, Detective Joe Lucchesi takes leave from the NYPD and moves with his wife and son to a quiet village on the south east coast of Ireland. They're happy. They're safe. And they're about to enter a nightmare more terrifying than the one they left behind. When a young girl goes missing and the village closes ranks, Detective Lucchesi sets out to find the truth and uncovers a sinister trail that leads from the other side of the Atlantic and cuts directly to the very heart of his family. His wife is lying. His son is lying. And a killer is lying in wait.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:09 -0400)

In 1985, in a North Texas backwater, two teenage boys made a chilling pact that would unite them forever in a dark and twisted loyalty. Now one lies dead, and the man responsible is going to pay.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible