Ignite (Midnight Fire Series) by Kaitlyn…

Ignite (Midnight Fire Series)

by Kaitlyn Davis

Book Synopsis- "With one last look, one final search of the lines of his face for some sign, Kira turned and ran away from the sound of the man she loved laughing in the face of her death."
When Kira Dawson moves to South Carolina, she meets Luke, a blonde goofball who quickly becomes her best friend, and Tristan, a mysterious bad boy who sends shivers down her spine. Kira knows they're keeping secrets, but when she discovers Tristan's lust for blood and her own dormant mystical powers, Kira is forced to fight for her life and make the heartbreaking decision between the familiar comfort of friendship and the fiery passion of love.

Book Quote- “Do you actually believe that’s possible?” His squinted eyes caught hers at that moment and she knew there was more to this question, some deeper meaning. Her heart skipped a beat. Was it possible?

Reviewers Note- Ignite is Kaitlyn Davis’s first book and she came in with a bang. I have read this book three times since October, 2012. I found this gem on Amazon for free. The cover caught my attention but the story kept it. Kaitlyn isn’t someone I know personally however, she now has my friendship and support. I wrote her an email thanking her for creating a book that helped me escape the pain that is chemo treatments. I didn’t expect to get a reply at all, I just thought sometimes authors get discouraged and I wanted her to know her work matters. She not only replied but kept replying. Recently she sent me some books to share and also a one of a kind copy of her book with the sweetest note. She’s not only a talented author but a kind person. With all that being said I am reviewing this book like I would any other book.

I picked this book up on Amazon because it was free and the cover art quickly grabbed my attention. I support you checking out the book for much different reasons.

What a refreshing way to get the story we all secretly love. It's the typical love triangle with so many twist. It's what you're expecting from a paranormal YA romance with so much more. First it's not a knock of Vampire Diaries or Twilight book. It's like more like Buffy mixed with X Men thrown in. No I'm not kidding. Just when you start to think you have the story figured out another twist comes your way.

This story will have you rooting for Luke your guy next door/ best friend one minute and then Tristian this Vampire who doesn't follow the rules another. Kira is our heroine/main character. She's back home to South Carolina from boarding school in NY. She starts a new school and meets Luke they become close friends fast. The interesting thing about them is they have the same eye color which is very unique. She has Strawberry blonde hair something she "shouldn't" have. Without giving too much away because I want you to read it for yourself. These seemingly small things actually are the start of something so much bigger.
Our other love interest is Tristan he's got his own share of secrets. He shouldn't be interested in Kira for a lot of reasons. Yet as we all know somethings are way too hard to resist. He comes across strong and stand offish but, that doesn't last long. His story is just getting started really.
Kira our heroine has been born into a world in which she is in danger without even knowing it. As secrets unfold her world takes a dramatic change. Something tells me her story is just getting started.

As a fan of YA fiction and especially YA paranormal this book is a must read. Fast paced and great cliff hangers that have you searching your favorite digital book shop for
  amandacpeake | Jul 28, 2013 |
*Received e-book through Read It and Reap program from the Shut Up and Read! Goodreads group from author;
**Also posted on Amazon.com under Leanne

Davis succeeds in writing an entertaining, light entry in the YA vampire genre. I found Kira to be a headstrong heroine who was determined to connect with the mysterious love interest, Tristan. I enjoyed their romantic scenes, especially when Tristan shows Kira his favorite spot in the city, which added realism to their developing relationship. I also adored Luke, the best friend, who takes Kira under his wing and becomes like a big brother to her. Their cute interactions complemented the seriousness with Tristan. In addition, I liked the fact that the vampires in this story were not glamorized, but actually lusting after blood and not apologizing for it. Lastly, I liked the creativity Davis displayed with the introduction of conduits concept and the unique role of Kira in the world of vampires.

On the other hand, I was distracted with reminders of the Twilight series. Similarities include the moving of Kira to a new school that has an outcast vampire clique, the protective best friend that discourages her attraction to a tortured bad boy, and even the cooking/domestic ability of Kira. Although Davis does add twists to the story that makes it more original, I couldn’t help but be disappointed with the number of instances of déjà vu.

Overall, Ignite was a fun, fast read with likeable characters. I would recommend this to teen readers who are fans of YA paranormal romances, such as the Twilight and Vampire Academy series. ( )
  LeanneSF | May 8, 2012 |
What we have here is a different kind of love triangle. Kira comes to South Carolina to live with her family after years at a boarding school in New York. She has to fit in at a new school and make new friends in a place where she has only spent summers. She is quickly integrated into the group of other newcomers meeting Luke, Emma, Dave and Miles. They become friends but she is also fascinated by a group that her new friends call the Misfits. The Misfits seem equally fascinated by her and begin staring at her whenever they are around. She is especially fascinated with Tristan. According to her, he has that rebel without a cause, bad boy look going along with a killer bod, black hair, and icy blue eyes.

Her new friend Luke and Tristan are enemies but neither will explain why. After a few interesting events, including a near drowning while surfing and being saved by Tristan, Kira's crush deepens. She seems to keep running into Tristan although he does try to stay away from her. It isn't until she is attacked by the Misfits and exhibits strange powers that things start to come clear.

Kira is a conduit. Conduits are the only ones who can kill vampires which is what the Misfits are. But there are two kinds of conduits - Protectors and Punishers - and Kira is the forbidden child of a Punisher father and a Protector mother. Her parents were killed when she was little and she has been raised by her aunt and uncle not knowing they weren't her parents. Luke has been sent by the Protectors to guard and train her. They become good friends as he teaches her about conduits and she learns what she can do. Apparently being the child of both a Punisher and Protector has given Kira some unique powers too. She is able to use her powers to heal which Luke is reluctant to share with the Council that sent him to guard her.

Luke becomes her best friend but Tristan is the one she loves despite all Luke can do to convince her that all vampires are evil. She sees something special in Tristan. They get to know each other and secretly date. His companions and hers are both opposed to the relationship. She is convinced that he is not evil and that he won't hurt her. This was a nice romance and had some exciting parts for the action lover. It is also a story of a girl who learns that she has a hidden history.

I liked the story but felt it could have done with some copy-editing. There were a few wrong words and a number of grammatical things that were sort of jarring. I have a personal phobia about misusing "loose" and "lose" and the author was guilty of this. Also there were a quite a few instances when "her" was used when "she" would have been more correct. Here is example of the wrong word choice:
"Your foe confidence is amusing," Diana said and grabbed hold of Kira's chin.
I had to read that one a couple of times before I realized that the author meant "faux." None of these things hurt the flow or excitement in the story but they were a bit distracting.

I recommend this story for young adults who want to read one more story about vampires and the girls who love them. The concept of conduits who are able to kill vampires was a nice touch. And, naturally, the author has a sequel in the works. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 10, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible