The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

The Anatomist's Apprentice

by Tessa Harris

This novel reads like an 18th century CSI set in England. It is based on a trial in London in the late 18th century which was the first recorded time when an expert witness was called to testify about the cause of death of the victim.
It marks the start of the historical novel series about the fictional anatomist, Dr Thomas Silkstone. I liked it enough that I will probably continue the series. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I found this to be a great mystery. It reminded me of Sherlock Holmes stories which I like. I enjoy a good British mystery. It also had characters with quirky little names like in the game clue. I thought that this was well written and it kept my interest. I thought that this was a good who done it story. It has many twists and turns and it is not predictable and I liked that. Some readers gave this low reviews. I was disappointed to see this. I liked the book. It maybe a little bit “cookie cutter” or standard patterned mystery, but I liked it. I give this one a 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Oct 21, 2014 |
A good historical mystery series. I liked the 2nd book too - it has a medical museum setting. ( )
  MikeRhode | Sep 26, 2014 |
What a melodrama! The American anatomist Silkstone has been hired to investigate Lord Crick's untimely death - although some might wonder why he wasn't bumped off sooner. The story started with some promise but quickly went downhill as it filled with eye-rolling errors of both the factual and literary type. 18th century post mortem and forensic methods are gruesome, but if the reader is willing to put up with a few richly noisome descriptions, there is the reward of a mystery, leaning heavily toward the romantic as all melodramas should.

If I'd been reading the print version this would have been abandoned in pretty short order but Simon Vance's perfect narration of the audiobook kept me with it to the end. ( )
  VivienneR | Sep 23, 2014 |
The story set in the early days of forensic medicine. Dr Silkstone is called to investigate the murder of an Earl, who died in mysterious circumstances. The sister of the murdered man appeals to Silkstone for another opinion, and despite her being married to a Captain, they become enamored of each other. Early days of medicine, with many misleading verdicts and a continuing investigation into the Earl's death. Starts out quite gory, but develops into a good tale. ( )
  Pmaurer | Sep 1, 2014 |
...the author seems not to know when she’s onto a good thing, and proceeds to gum up the fascinating details of early forensics with a sticky romance and Grand ­Guignol contrivances. Nonetheless, we await — indeed, demand — the sequel.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jan 20, 2012)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man - except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's body. But the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies -

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. Few mourn the dissolute young man- except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's corpse. But it is not only the dead, but also the living, to whom he must apply the keen blade of his intellect. And the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,046,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible