The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

The Anatomist's Apprentice

by Tessa Harris

The story set in the early days of forensic medicine. Dr Silkstone is called to investigate the murder of an Earl, who died in mysterious circumstances. The sister of the murdered man appeals to Silkstone for another opinion, and despite her being married to a Captain, they become enamored of each other. Early days of medicine, with many misleading verdicts and a continuing investigation into the Earl's death. Starts out quite gory, but develops into a good tale. ( )
  Pmaurer | Sep 1, 2014 |
The title is confusing. Thomas is the main character and he does have a former mentor. He meets another anatomist later, but both of these old men are just there for the sake of the story. Thomas is nobody's apprentice in this book. As I said, confusing title.

The death of Lady Lydia's brother, Sir Edward Crick, was the cause of a lot of gossip in Oxfordshire. The only person who loved him was his sister. She asks Dr.Thomas Silkstone to find the real cause of her brother's death.

I don't mind broken or not-so-tough female characters, but for almost the third of the book Lady Lydia tested my nerves to no end. I wanted to strangle her. Screaming, clutching her hands to her breasts, widening her eyes, being scared, constantly looking vulnerable (we are not allowed to forget the vulnerable part), and I still couldn't feel anything.
Most of Lady Lydia's servants, especially her maid Hannah, are annoying. She spills anything she brings and her testimony during the inquest was really not what you would expect from a faithful servant. I don't mind her telling the truth, but telling it with so much disrespect is what bothers me - young lord was panting like a dog, Lady Lydia's mother is not right in the head, etc. As soon as she saw she has her audience she was all over it. The thing is I can't see a 1700s servant doing something like that. Thomas's housekeeper is a laudanum addict. He has to bribe her to heat water for him to take a bath. Poor man ends up in his laboratory, not in his room. It's eighteenth century. I doubt the servants and housekeepers had that much freedom. These are not really important things which make this story a good one, just something which annoyed me.

So, the characters are really annoying (Lydia leads), but the story is pretty good. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Interesting mystery, illuminating the field of forensic science and early scientific attempts. NOT a good choice for an audio book.it dragged so often, I am sure I could have read it faster. Good writer, though: all the bad guys were so truly bad guys, and a few of the good guys turned up bad. The hanging ending (a hook to get one to read the next volume, no doubt) leaves me with a bad feeling in my gut.

Another good narration by Simon Vance. ( )
  kaulsu | Aug 22, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
Quite captivating! A historical mystery that keeps you guessing. I look forward to more Dr. Thomas Silkstone mysteries. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
...the author seems not to know when she’s onto a good thing, and proceeds to gum up the fascinating details of early forensics with a sticky romance and Grand ­Guignol contrivances. Nonetheless, we await — indeed, demand — the sequel.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jan 20, 2012)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man - except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's body. But the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies -

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:09 -0400)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. Few mourn the dissolute young man- except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's corpse. But it is not only the dead, but also the living, to whom he must apply the keen blade of his intellect. And the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,697,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible