The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas…

The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries) (edition 2012)

by Tessa Harris

2082356,261 (3.14)28
Member:blockbuster1994
Title:The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries)
Authors:Tessa Harris
Info:Kensington House Pub Ltd (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audiobook, Murder, Poisen, Family Drama, Historical Fiction

The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

Recently added byCJSTheWriter, Michele5, private library, susanbevans

Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
Quite captivating! A historical mystery that keeps you guessing. I look forward to more Dr. Thomas Silkstone mysteries. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Seriously, I kept trying to read this because I wanted to like it but I finally had to give up.
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
As soon as I saw the ridiculously attractive cover-art and intruiging title, I couldn't wait to tear into the story. To my disappointment, I found I really shouldn't have judged this one by its cover.

The story takes place in England in the late Georgian period--about twenty or thirty years before Jane Austen's time. The main character, a surgeon from Philadelphia, is brought into the case of a suspicious death by the beautiful Lady Lydia. Graphic death scenes, a shallow and improbable InstaLove romance, and generalized "historical atmosphere" follow.

Call me crazy, but one thing I tend to expect of historical novels is some level of historical accuracy. Harris clearly did some amount of research for this book, but in my opinion, she just didn't do enough. I'm certainly no expert on the late Georgian era, but even I found so many jarring inconsistencies and errors that I found the story difficult to read. These range from anachronistic phrasing (for example, a woman is described as "passing out") to severe and significant errors in understanding of social conventions of the time. For example, a large portion of the plot is dependent on the inheritance of an earl, which is shown passing to his sister and her husband. Even a casual reader would know that the land of an earl would be entailed. One might argue that someone in the family broke the entail or there are no heirs male, but there is no mention of peculiarities and several male relatives in the correct line are actually mentioned. Since Harris even gets the titles of the earl and his sister (really, really, disastrously) wrong, I suspect a lack of research. The characters also routinely break social custom; for example, Lydia turns up alone in Silkstone's rooms to introduce herself, all of the upper-class characters are appallingly free with their servants, and Lydia doesn't even wear mourning for her brother. Possibly even more problematically, the Philadelphian doctor is treated as though he is of the same class as the upper-level gentry. I still can't figure out exactly what Silkstone is. He is given the title of "doctor", but repeatedly referred to as a "surgeon." (In the Georgian period, these terms delineated the barely-gentlemanly physicians from the lower-class sawbones.) He unabashedly practices a trade, yet is treated by the aristocracy as one of the gentry. He, as well as other physicians (some with titles, no less!) are described as happily participating in the dirty business of dissection. Just getting their hands dirty places them far down on the social ladder.

These could be seen as minor liberties taken to create an interesting story, but not only were there far more anachronisms than I listed here, but I have to wonder: given my lack of historical knowledge of the time, just how many errors didn't I catch?

I listened to this on audio, but not even the spirited narration of Simon Vance could rescue this for me. If you like historical romance with a dash of mystery and a certain amount of liberty with historical veracity, this may be a fun read. To prevent myself from accidentally confusing anachronistic flights of fancy with historical truth, I did not finish the story.
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
Dr. Thomas Silkstone, an anatomist and pioneering forensic detective, arrived in England to study to study under its foremost surgeon. The murder of Sir Edward Crick, brings Edward’s sister Lydia to Dr. Silkstone to investigate his death. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Edward's corpse. He must determine both the cause and motive of this suspicious death, despite the skepticism he faces. I was really hoping to like this book—a murder mystery with a historical setting—what could be better. I found it slow going, with unbelievable twists and turns that did nothing to enhance the book. 2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jul 3, 2013 |
...the author seems not to know when she’s onto a good thing, and proceeds to gum up the fascinating details of early forensics with a sticky romance and Grand ­Guignol contrivances. Nonetheless, we await — indeed, demand — the sequel.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jan 20, 2012)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man - except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's body. But the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies -

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:09 -0400)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. Few mourn the dissolute young man- except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's corpse. But it is not only the dead, but also the living, to whom he must apply the keen blade of his intellect. And the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible