SantaThing sign up ends in 12 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas…

The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries) (edition 2012)

by Tessa Harris

Member:blockbuster1994
Title:The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries)
Authors:Tessa Harris
Info:Kensington House Pub Ltd (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audiobook, Murder, Poisen, Family Drama, Historical Fiction

The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

The title is confusing. Thomas is the main character and he does have a former mentor. He meets another anatomist later, but both of these old men are just there for the sake of the story. Thomas is nobody's apprentice in this book. As I said, confusing title.

The death of Lady Lydia's brother, Sir Edward Crick, was the cause of a lot of gossip in Oxfordshire. The only person who loved him was his sister. She asks Dr.Thomas Silkstone to find the real cause of her brother's death.

I don't mind broken or not-so-tough female characters, but for almost the third of the book Lady Lydia tested my nerves to no end. I wanted to strangle her. Screaming, clutching her hands to her breasts, widening her eyes, being scared, constantly looking vulnerable (we are not allowed to forget the vulnerable part), and I still couldn't feel anything.
Most of Lady Lydia's servants, especially her maid Hannah, are annoying. She spills anything she brings and her testimony during the inquest was really not what you would expect from a faithful servant. I don't mind her telling the truth, but telling it with so much disrespect is what bothers me - young lord was panting like a dog, Lady Lydia's mother is not right in the head, etc. As soon as she saw she has her audience she was all over it. The thing is I can't see a 1700s servant doing something like that. Thomas's housekeeper is a laudanum addict. He has to bribe her to heat water for him to take a bath. Poor man ends up in his laboratory, not in his room. It's eighteenth century. I doubt the servants and housekeepers had that much freedom. These are not really important things which make this story a good one, just something which annoyed me.

So, the characters are really annoying (Lydia leads), but the story is pretty good. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Some inconsistencies in the story, contrived in parts, the romance aspect is unbelievable, tacky and has a soap opera feel, the female lead character plays a little too damsel in distress for my liking, it is a bit too convoluted with too many murders going on but overall if you like historical mysteries combined with forensic science this book is an easy, light, fast-paced read with twists and turns. Because I really like reading about all things medical/forensic, I find myself interested in this series about an 18th century anatomist as it's chalk full of medical/forensic science information. ( )
  seekingbooks3 | Oct 6, 2016 |
3.5 stars...I thought it was a good start but I think the writing needs to be developed a little more. There was alot of redundancy in the writing and alot of the same repeated phrases but I think with practice Harris will be a really superb writer. I enjoyed the story and the technical explanations of dissection. I also liked the glossary she included at the end. Looking forward to book 2... ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The Anatomist’s Apprentice – Teresa Harris
Audio performance by Simon Vance
3 stars

Dr Thomas Silkstone is an 18th century American physician practicing and studying in England during the Revolutionary War. He has studied under the most famous physician/anatomist of the time and has acquired a reputation for unconventional methods. He is asked investigate the murdered, decomposing corpse of the dissolute, Sir Edward Crick. The prime suspect is the victim’s disreputable, despicable brother-in-law. The damsel in distress is the victim’s abused sister.

Dr. Silkstone is a likable, well drawn, appealing character. He is intelligent, unconventional and honorable. The historical background of the story is detailed and interesting if frequently a bit too graphic for my tastes. (Rotting and dissected bodies are richly described.) The plot had many twists and turns, and an abundance of villains. The love story was obvious from the start, but I never felt that it was realistic. This book has potential as the beginning of a new series.

I would recommend this one for fans of Anne Perry and the audio for fans of Simon Vance.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
...the author seems not to know when she’s onto a good thing, and proceeds to gum up the fascinating details of early forensics with a sticky romance and Grand ­Guignol contrivances. Nonetheless, we await — indeed, demand — the sequel.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jan 20, 2012)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man - except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's body. But the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies -

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. Few mourn the dissolute young man- except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's corpse. But it is not only the dead, but also the living, to whom he must apply the keen blade of his intellect. And the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,654,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible