The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas…

The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries) (edition 2012)

by Tessa Harris

Member:blockbuster1994
Title:The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries)
Authors:Tessa Harris
Info:Kensington House Pub Ltd (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audiobook, Murder, Poisen, Family Drama, Historical Fiction

The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

Audio (fantastic narrator)-This is not a book I would normally pick up to read. I did because it was book of the month on Amazon. I was looking for something new-Why not right ? I am not going to dismiss Amazon's picks anymore. this book was excellent. I was on the edge of my seat on every page. Thrilling, spiraling,heart breaking, nerve racking and sweet, it never let me down. The there was the mystery, I thought I had who did it, but no it had to be, no, no it was ???? LOL
The dead man that started the whole mess, was really a turdbasket, He needed to die. The more we learned about him the worse he got. His death started this whole flood gate of murderous schemes, greedy takers and unlawful acts.
I have read that some found it too detailed in the anatomist descriptions, I did not find it so. I enjoyed the reasoning and the why's behind the deaths, It is a wonderful historical fiction and takes you back to an earlier time. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A good Victorian mystery with very little romance, but be forewarned there is a lot of gore in this. The author does not stint on the details of Silkstone's work as an anatomist, which entails the dissection of corpses in various stages of decay. If you have a weak stomach, you might skip this one, though you're missing a good story. ( )
  RecklessReader | Jan 24, 2016 |
What should have been a really good historical mystery was just a mess - melodramatic and too reliant on coincidence and unseen action never hinted at until it became necessary to tie up the story. Add to that a simpering female with whom the protagonist instantly falls in love for no apparent reason other than she simpers and holes in the mystery and resolution you large enough to drive a truck through, and I'm not really sure why I even finished listening to all 9 hours. And yet... the setting and idea (18th century England and the early study of forensics) are intriguing enough that I'm actually considering reading the second in the series. ( )
  katiekrug | Dec 18, 2015 |
I abandoned this audio book at the 59% point. The upside of listening to the audio version of this book is that I didn't have to strain my eyes reading this. The major downside was that I couldn't skim over the worst parts, like the insta-love. The anatomist, Dr. Thomas Silkstone, seemed turned on by how weak and needy his love interest was. It sort of made me sick. It didn't help that the male narrator gave her a simpering voice. I don't even know who the "apprentice" was supposed to be in this book. Silkstone worked on his own and was already capable (when he wasn't mooning over his married love interest) and renowned. I don't care who, if anyone, murdered the dead guy. Life is too short to read this. ( )
  fhudnell | Dec 12, 2015 |
This novel reads like an 18th century CSI set in England. It is based on a trial in London in the late 18th century which was the first recorded time when an expert witness was called to testify about the cause of death of the victim.
It marks the start of the historical novel series about the fictional anatomist, Dr Thomas Silkstone. I liked it enough that I will probably continue the series. ( )
1 vote TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
...the author seems not to know when she’s onto a good thing, and proceeds to gum up the fascinating details of early forensics with a sticky romance and Grand ­Guignol contrivances. Nonetheless, we await — indeed, demand — the sequel.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jan 20, 2012)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man - except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's body. But the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies -

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. Few mourn the dissolute young man- except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's corpse. But it is not only the dead, but also the living, to whom he must apply the keen blade of his intellect. And the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,906,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible