The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas…

The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries) (edition 2012)

by Tessa Harris

Member:blockbuster1994
Title:The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries)
Authors:Tessa Harris
Info:Kensington House Pub Ltd (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audiobook, Murder, Poisen, Family Drama, Historical Fiction

The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

3.5 stars...I thought it was a good start but I think the writing needs to be developed a little more. There was alot of redundancy in the writing and alot of the same repeated phrases but I think with practice Harris will be a really superb writer. I enjoyed the story and the technical explanations of dissection. I also liked the glossary she included at the end. Looking forward to book 2... ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The title is confusing. Thomas is the main character and he does have a former mentor. He meets another anatomist later, but both of these old men are just there for the sake of the story. Thomas is nobody's apprentice in this book. As I said, confusing title.

The death of Lady Lydia's brother, Sir Edward Crick, was the cause of a lot of gossip in Oxfordshire. The only person who loved him was his sister. She asks Dr.Thomas Silkstone to find the real cause of her brother's death.

I don't mind broken or not-so-tough female characters, but for almost the third of the book Lady Lydia tested my nerves to no end. I wanted to strangle her. Screaming, clutching her hands to her breasts, widening her eyes, being scared, constantly looking vulnerable (we are not allowed to forget the vulnerable part), and I still couldn't feel anything.
Most of Lady Lydia's servants, especially her maid Hannah, are annoying. She spills anything she brings and her testimony during the inquest was really not what you would expect from a faithful servant. I don't mind her telling the truth, but telling it with so much disrespect is what bothers me - young lord was panting like a dog, Lady Lydia's mother is not right in the head, etc. As soon as she saw she has her audience she was all over it. The thing is I can't see a 1700s servant doing something like that. Thomas's housekeeper is a laudanum addict. He has to bribe her to heat water for him to take a bath. Poor man ends up in his laboratory, not in his room. It's eighteenth century. I doubt the servants and housekeepers had that much freedom. These are not really important things which make this story a good one, just something which annoyed me.

So, the characters are really annoying (Lydia leads), but the story is pretty good. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
The Anatomist’s Apprentice – Teresa Harris
Audio performance by Simon Vance
3 stars

Dr Thomas Silkstone is an 18th century American physician practicing and studying in England during the Revolutionary War. He has studied under the most famous physician/anatomist of the time and has acquired a reputation for unconventional methods. He is asked investigate the murdered, decomposing corpse of the dissolute, Sir Edward Crick. The prime suspect is the victim’s disreputable, despicable brother-in-law. The damsel in distress is the victim’s abused sister.

Dr. Silkstone is a likable, well drawn, appealing character. He is intelligent, unconventional and honorable. The historical background of the story is detailed and interesting if frequently a bit too graphic for my tastes. (Rotting and dissected bodies are richly described.) The plot had many twists and turns, and an abundance of villains. The love story was obvious from the start, but I never felt that it was realistic. This book has potential as the beginning of a new series.

I would recommend this one for fans of Anne Perry and the audio for fans of Simon Vance.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Audio (fantastic narrator)-This is not a book I would normally pick up to read. I did because it was book of the month on Amazon. I was looking for something new-Why not right ? I am not going to dismiss Amazon's picks anymore. this book was excellent. I was on the edge of my seat on every page. Thrilling, spiraling,heart breaking, nerve racking and sweet, it never let me down. The there was the mystery, I thought I had who did it, but no it had to be, no, no it was ???? LOL
The dead man that started the whole mess, was really a turdbasket, He needed to die. The more we learned about him the worse he got. His death started this whole flood gate of murderous schemes, greedy takers and unlawful acts.
I have read that some found it too detailed in the anatomist descriptions, I did not find it so. I enjoyed the reasoning and the why's behind the deaths, It is a wonderful historical fiction and takes you back to an earlier time. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A good Victorian mystery with very little romance, but be forewarned there is a lot of gore in this. The author does not stint on the details of Silkstone's work as an anatomist, which entails the dissection of corpses in various stages of decay. If you have a weak stomach, you might skip this one, though you're missing a good story. ( )
  RecklessReader | Jan 24, 2016 |
...the author seems not to know when she’s onto a good thing, and proceeds to gum up the fascinating details of early forensics with a sticky romance and Grand ­Guignol contrivances. Nonetheless, we await — indeed, demand — the sequel.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jan 20, 2012)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man - except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's body. But the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies -

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip through the seedy taverns and elegant ballrooms of Oxfordshire. Few mourn the dissolute young man- except his sister, the beautiful Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, she seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia. Thomas arrived in England to study under its foremost surgeon, where his unconventional methods only add to his outsider status. Against his better judgment he agrees to examine Sir Edward's corpse. But it is not only the dead, but also the living, to whom he must apply the keen blade of his intellect. And the deeper the doctor's investigations go, the greater the risk that he will be consigned to the ranks of the corpses he studies.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,164,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible