The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll by Lewis…

The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll

by Lewis Carroll

The World of Winnie-the-Pooh: The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (wosret)
    Lewis Carroll: A Biography by Morton N. Cohen (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: A "complete works" of an author is most meaningful when one understands the author. Understanding Charles Dodgson is very difficult; he was a strange, reclusive, highly intelligent man (very likely an autistic). Of all the many biographies, this one seems to come closest to telling who he really was, although it is surely not the last word.… (more)

English (22)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (25)
(Original Review, 1994-08-10)

I’ve always interpreted “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” as a (modern) Fairytale.

In a way most of modern commercial movies are more like classical fairytales: very elemental stories set in a simplistic moral universe, with stereotypical characters. The movies may seem to be more complex but that is mostly 'effect'. Movies are very good at the dazzle part of the story telling business. Complexity of story: very much less so.

It is an interesting point though: the differences between stories that were only meant to be told and the kind of stories we have invented and/or developed the moment we could write them down. It is, for instance, suggested that the flowery & repeated descriptors in Homer (rose-fingered dawn, wine-coloured sea et cetera) were part aide-memoirs and part moments that the storyteller didn't have to think about the next word. They were, in other words, part of the mechanics/structure of the story. Something that was no longer needed when people could write the stories down.

So, stories from the oral age have, by necessity, a different shape than later stories like Alice’s. Come to think of it, in a way it's similar to watching a movie in a theatre or a DVD at home. In the theatre you can't pause or rewind: you have to follow the 'story' in the moment. Same with oral and written stories. Around the campfire both storyteller and audience are engaged in a live stream event. You can't have your audience interrupting you, asking you to explain who is who again and wasn't X killed by that cyclops or was that Y...? A written story can have more complexity, because readers can take a break. Try to do “Shogun” as an oral story...

Still, fairytales are probably among the first type of story told and lots of modern stories still carry that DNA. Yes, some modern literature has as much in common with fairytales as birds with dinosaurs but they are still related. More to the point, we wouldn't have birds without those dinos. You could argue we wouldn't have either James Clavell or Marcel Proust without those old oral stories (and fairytales) too...

I think we can discount the druggie and Freudian interpretations as modern fantasies*. But otherwise it is clearly satirical at different levels (the boring schoolroom, linguistic philosophy) while alluding to events and places and presumably people in Alice's life. In a way it's the sort of story that we all make up for our children and grandchildren, but cleverer than most.

(*) So here's mine: There is a convincing theory that Carroll emphasized his relations with little girls (which in the Victorian mindset were necessarily innocent and asexual) to distract attention from his numerous relationships with young (20ish) women which the Victorians would have thought improper for a clergyman. So he sends Alice off down a hole and prattles on about her adventures while having it away with Dinah on the surface. Mind you, it’s just a theory… ( )
  antao | Nov 24, 2018 |
Very nice complete edition of Carroll's work - containing both 'Alice' books, both 'Sylvie and Bruno' books, poetry, short stories and puzzles, with the original illustrations.

Alice in Wonderland - 5 stars
Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland' is a classic that everyone should read. Many of Carroll's characters and situations have become part of Western culture, which only shows his genius and how great his influence has been. His play with words, his insane universe with amazing characters, and his symbolism make this a work that can be read over and over. Each time I read it I discover new things, and look at it in a different way.

Alice Through the Looking Glass - 5 stars
When I first read 'Through the Looking Glass' I really didn't like it as much as I had liked 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland', but I find that it has grown on me with a number of re-readings. I think 'Through the Looking Glass' is perhaps a bit more difficult, or more 'mature' than Alice. It is also a bit 'choppier' because of the jumping between different scenes, whereas Wonderland is more of a continuous story.
Either way, I think reading it several times has opened my eyes to more of the symbolism in the novel, and has very much increased my enjoyment of it, and I think it's definitely worth the effort of getting more closely acquainted with it.

Sylvie and Bruno - Sylvie and Bruno Concluded - 4 stars
The two stories of Sylvie and Bruno really make up one continuous whole. Though there is an 'ending' to the first part, the second part is more like the second chapter than a second book.
Though still in line with the fairy tale style of Alice, Sylvie and Bruno is somewhat more serious. There still is a lot of wordplay and fantasy, but there are also more serious discussions on theology and philosophy. For Carroll, this book was supposed to be not just amusing, but also instructive.
A very enjoyable read and definitely gives you something to think about - though for children the discussion might be a bit long-winding at times.

Miscellaneous writings - 3-4 stars
Aside from his four main novels, Carroll wrote numerous poems, stories and puzzles during his lifetime. Though not all are equally great, we clearly see Carroll's style in all his works - even when discussing the wine stores of the Christchurch Common Room.
It's nice to have a more complete edition and read not only the novels, but also get to know some of his other writings. I especially enjoyed the 'Tangled Tale', with math-problems intertwined with the story, but there are many gems to be found among Carroll's Miscellany. ( )
  Britt84 | Aug 4, 2018 |
Everything that Lewis Carroll ever published in book form appears in this volume. In addition, at least ten of the shorter pieces have never appeared in print except in their original editions. Included are: "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" "Through the Looking-Glass" "Sylvie and Bruno" "Sylvie and Bruno Concluded" "The Hunting of the Snark" & all of the poetry, essays, phantasmagoria along with a substantial collection of the miscellaneous writings.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 29, 2018 |
I found this in a bookstore in Myrtle Beach and was ecstatic. It had "The Hunting of the Snark", which I h ad heard of, but never read, and the Sylvie and Bruno books, which I had never even heard about, with a other stuff that was all bonus.

Sylvie and Bruno are nothing like Alice. They are, frankly, very sweet.

I particularly dug the Sillygisms after I had taken Logic in college, five years later.

I have had to buy a second copy and it is pretty beat up, but I'm not willing for it to be absent from my bookshelf. ( )
1 vote Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
"The dream-child moving through a land
Of wonders wild and new,
In friendly chat with bird or beast -
And half believe it true."

"Alice! a childish story take,
And, with gentle hand,
Lay it where Childhood's dreams are twined
In Memory's mystic band,
Like pilgrim's wither'd wreath of flowers
Pluck'd in a far-off land." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Carroll, LewisAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, Roger LancelynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woollcott, AlexanderIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After lunch on July 4, 1862, Charles Ludwidge Dodgson, a thirty-year-old Oxford mathematics don and clergyman (later to become universally known as Lewis Carroll) met the three daughters of the dean of his college, Christ Church, for a boating excursion, up the river Isis.
In addition to the works listed under "work-to-work relationships", this work includes "Early Verse", "Puzzles from Wonderland", "Prologues to Plays", "College Rhymes and Notes by an Oxford Chiel", "Acrostics, Inscriptions, and Other Verse", "Stories", and "A Miscellany".
The edition of Carroll's works edited by Roger Lancelyn Green (1965) has the following contents, which are not identical with those of other collected editions: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland -- Through the Looking-Glass -- A Wonderland Miscellany -- Bruno's Revenge, and Other Stories -- Sylvie and Bruno -- Sylvie and Bruno Concluded -- Letters to Child-Friends -- The Hunting of the Snark -- Rhyme? And Reason? -- Verses and Acrostics -- Three Sunsets, and Other Poems -- Notes by an Oxford Chiel -- Journal of a Tour in Russia in 1867 -- Original Games and Puzzles -- Feeding the Mind: Essays and Addresses.

Very good condition

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:23 -0400)

Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) is famed for his magical stories, 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking-Glass', here illustrated throughout the inner pages by Sir John Tenniel's much loved drawings. However, inspired by the insatiable Victorian appetite for party games, tricks and conundrums, this eccentric and polymathical Englishman also wrote many other works of a humorous, witty, whimsical and nonsensical nature such as the mock-heroic nonsense verse 'The Hunting of the Snark', as well as dozens of other verses, stories, acrostics and puzzles, all of which are included in this volume.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,660,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible