The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis…

The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis Carroll (edition 1982)

by Lewis Carroll

Member:jgbell
Title:The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis Carroll
Authors:Lewis Carroll
Info:Chancellor (1982), Hardcover, 934 pages

The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll by Lewis Carroll (Author)

The World of Winnie-the-Pooh: The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (wosret)
    Lewis Carroll: A Biography by Morton N. Cohen (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: A "complete works" of an author is most meaningful when one understands the author. Understanding Charles Dodgson is very difficult; he was a strange, reclusive, highly intelligent man (very likely an autistic). Of all the many biographies, this one seems to come closest to telling who he really was, although it is surely not the last word.… (more)

English (20)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (22)
I found this in a bookstore in Myrtle Beach and was ecstatic. It had "The Hunting of the Snark", which I h ad heard of, but never read, and the Sylvie and Bruno books, which I had never even heard about, with a other stuff that was all bonus.

Sylvie and Bruno are nothing like Alice. They are, frankly, very sweet.

I particularly dug the Sillygisms after I had taken Logic in college, five years later.

I have had to buy a second copy and it is pretty beat up, but I'm not willing for it to be absent from my bookshelf. ( )
1 vote Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Very nice complete edition of Carroll's work - containing both 'Alice' books, both 'Sylvie and Bruno' books, poetry, short stories and puzzles, with the original illustrations.

Alice in Wonderland - 5 stars
Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland' is a classic that everyone should read. Many of Carroll's characters and situations have become part of Western culture, which only shows his genius and how great his influence has been. His play with words, his insane universe with amazing characters, and his symbolism make this a work that can be read over and over. Each time I read it I discover new things, and look at it in a different way.

Alice Through the Looking Glass - 5 stars
When I first read 'Through the Looking Glass' I really didn't like it as much as I had liked 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland', but I find that it has grown on me with a number of re-readings. I think 'Through the Looking Glass' is perhaps a bit more difficult, or more 'mature' than Alice. It is also a bit 'choppier' because of the jumping between different scenes, whereas Wonderland is more of a continuous story.
Either way, I think reading it several times has opened my eyes to more of the symbolism in the novel, and has very much increased my enjoyment of it, and I think it's definitely worth the effort of getting more closely acquainted with it.

Sylvie and Bruno - Sylvie and Bruno Concluded - 4 stars
The two stories of Sylvie and Bruno really make up one continuous whole. Though there is an 'ending' to the first part, the second part is more like the second chapter than a second book.
Though still in line with the fairy tale style of Alice, Sylvie and Bruno is somewhat more serious. There still is a lot of wordplay and fantasy, but there are also more serious discussions on theology and philosophy. For Carroll, this book was supposed to be not just amusing, but also instructive.
A very enjoyable read and definitely gives you something to think about - though for children the discussion might be a bit long-winding at times.

Miscellaneous writings - 3-4 stars
Aside from his four main novels, Carroll wrote numerous poems, stories and puzzles during his lifetime. Though not all are equally great, we clearly see Carroll's style in all his works - even when discussing the wine stores of the Christchurch Common Room.
It's nice to have a more complete edition and read not only the novels, but also get to know some of his other writings. I especially enjoyed the 'Tangled Tale', with math-problems intertwined with the story, but there are many gems to be found among Carroll's Miscellany. ( )
  Britt84 | Jul 4, 2016 |
"The dream-child moving through a land
Of wonders wild and new,
In friendly chat with bird or beast -
And half believe it true."

"Alice! a childish story take,
And, with gentle hand,
Lay it where Childhood's dreams are twined
In Memory's mystic band,
Like pilgrim's wither'd wreath of flowers
Pluck'd in a far-off land." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
"The dream-child moving through a land
Of wonders wild and new,
In friendly chat with bird or beast -
And half believe it true."

"Alice! a childish story take,
And, with gentle hand,
Lay it where Childhood's dreams are twined
In Memory's mystic band,
Like pilgrim's wither'd wreath of flowers
Pluck'd in a far-off land." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
For me, the great benefit of having the collected works is that besides having the Alice stories and the Snark, which are readily available elsewhere, this collection includes Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Bruno Conluded, parts of which I like very much, though it is uneven, partly because it alternates between a fairly conventional this-world romance and a fairytale adventure. Overall, I tend to say the fairytale adventure is better, but there are good parts in th this-word story (the concept of a ghost wallowing in bread sauce, for example) and weak parts in Sylvie and Bruno (notably when the two children get just too unbearably cute or sentimental.)
The bet of part of S&B is the Mad Gardener's Song, which has been done very well as a separate picture book (though that version loses a few references to the story, notably the double rule of three). ( )
  antiquary | Dec 1, 2013 |

Carroll, LewisAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, Roger LancelynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After lunch on July 4, 1862, Charles Ludwidge Dodgson, a thirty-year-old Oxford mathematics don and clergyman (later to become universally known as Lewis Carroll) met the three daughters of the dean of his college, Christ Church, for a boating excursion, up the river Isis.
In addition to the works listed under "work-to-work relationships", this work includes "Early Verse", "Puzzles from Wonderland", "Prologues to Plays", "College Rhymes and Notes by an Oxford Chiel", "Acrostics, Inscriptions, and Other Verse", "Stories", and "A Miscellany".
The edition of Carroll's works edited by Roger Lancelyn Green (1965) has the following contents, which are not identical with those of other collected editions: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland -- Through the Looking-Glass -- A Wonderland Miscellany -- Bruno's Revenge, and Other Stories -- Sylvie and Bruno -- Sylvie and Bruno Concluded -- Letters to Child-Friends -- The Hunting of the Snark -- Rhyme? And Reason? -- Verses and Acrostics -- Three Sunsets, and Other Poems -- Notes by an Oxford Chiel -- Journal of a Tour in Russia in 1867 -- Original Games and Puzzles -- Feeding the Mind: Essays and Addresses.

Very good condition

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:23 -0400)

Lewis Carroll is best known for his two books about Alice, but he was a prolific author of fantasy and nonsense verse which are included here, together with his early verse, prologues to plays, notes and other poems.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,080,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible